Seeking for magical remedies against cough

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
So yeah, like everyone knows, when men really cough, ribs are just in the way, so I literally cracked a rib coughing. Me being stupid, I didn't ask for any stronger pain meds than I already had (ibuprofen & paracetamol), have to wait 'till monday to get better pills.

Current situation is manageable when I don't cough. The problem is, my throat is itching and I have some mucus/slime/whatdoyoucallit to cough up. Due cracked rib every cough means a risk of blinding pain, possibly enough to knock me unconscious if it happens as bad again as last night (when I actually cracked the rib)

Anyone have magical remedies against coughing and the itchy feeling in my throat? The more alcohol involved, the better. Smoking cigarettes & weed doesn't seem to really help with the situation and apparently my pain threshold doesn't grow enough from being drunk (funny, last time it was enough to hide cracked elbow for couple hours 'till the hand stopped flexing completely)

When I am coughing for me the most effective is to be very careful with the air I am breathing (medicine doesn't work in any kind of cold in my experience): Avoid breathing cold air and breathing a nonpolluted air is ideal. Wood heating pollution being the worst and highly cough inducing in my experience.

Last edited:
I usually use Ricola lozenges for my throat with honey tea couple times a day. For cough I use Mucinex DM, which is over the counter.

Lcok self in room. Set humidifier to max. That will help with controlling the frequency of cough.

For the healing portion. That one is a bit tougher. I don’t know a consistent remedy that works.

Well, you want to avoid anything that will make your throat dry or irritate it, so smoking is a big no-no. Alcohol is a pretty bad idea as well. There's really not much you can do to avoid coughing, and you probably shouldn't, but you can make it a little easier on your body (and ribs) with expectorants. Anything your pharmacist can recommend will do, and it's usually over-the-counter stuff. You can also use a moisturiser if you have one, or just take a big hot bath or shower. Honey usually helps, plus it tastes great.

That will make your mucus more fluid (less dry/viscous), so you'll cough it out more easily, with less irritation and pain.

Maybe some Glycerin? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
Glycerol (/ˈɡlɪsərɒl/;[5] also called glycerine or glycerin; see spelling differences) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is sweet-tasting and non-toxic. The glycerol backbone is found in many lipids which are known as glycerides. It is widely used in the food industry as a sweetener and humectant and in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol has three hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature.

Humectants keep things moist. In my experience of taking herbal extracts that used glycerine, it also provides a bit of a coating to the mouth and throat. Low carb snacks sometimes use it because of its moistening, and sweetness, and because it's not too bad on the glycemic index.

http://www.naturalremediescenter.co...e-lemon-juice-glycerine-and-honey-for-coughs/

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/care-glycerin-200ml

Drug stores sell glycerin, it's cheap.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rite-aid-glycerin-usp-skin-protectant-6-oz-177-ml-0306447

Huh, it's one third the content of Chloraseptic.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/chlora...ore-throat-wild-berries-1-fl-oz-30-ml-0343356

Wife is a pharmacist, so there are basically 3 options.

Is it a dry cough with little to no mucus?
Is it a “hard” cough with mucus that is difficult to cough up?
Or is it “loose” cough with adequate amount of free flowing mucus?

Wife is a pharmacist, so there are basically 3 options.

Is it a dry cough with little to no mucus?
Is it a “hard” cough with mucus that is difficult to cough up?
Or is it “loose” cough with adequate amount of free flowing mucus?
"hard" would be best fit I think, but the doctor didn't like the idea of using any actual cough medicine because I have asthma background and it could lead to mucus build up if I don't cough. And coughing hurts like hell, was too late today but gonna get myself acute time from another doctor tomorrow to get some better painkillers to make coughing bearable

Maybe ask your doctor if you could use Acapella device to more easily clear mucus? (A passive PEP device which vibrates on the exhale.) It's relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Ethylmorphine.
Only thing that ever really worked significantly better than hot tea with honey.
Prescription only, obviously.

Well, codeine is usually the recommended option with dry cough.

To make it easier to cough up the mucus use something like bromhexine or acetylsystein, which makes the mucus more “watery” / soft.

Ask your doctor though, with regards to side effects and asthma.

Well, codeine is usually the recommended option with dry cough.

To make it easier to cough up the mucus use something like bromhexine or acetylsystein, which makes the mucus more “watery” / soft.

Ask your doctor though, with regards to side effects and asthma.

Wait, what? Who the fuck prescribes codeine for a cough? :oops:

Wait, what? Who the fuck prescribes codeine for a cough? :oops:
Everyone? It's fairly common active component in cough medicines and even though we here in Finland have everything regulated to hell and back we even have one available over-the-counter (under the name Recipect, it even has the fancy red triangle which means you should definitely do precision work on heavy machinery in public areas).

Though there are some conflicting studies on it's effectiveness, codeine affects your central nervous system and makes you less likely to cough by increasing the threshold before autonomous nervous system kicks in the cough reflex. Dextromethorphan is almost as good and apparently doesn't metabolize into morphine like codeine does (but the amounts of morphine it does metabolize to are so miniscule it's irrelevant)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm (almost) a nurse so was really looking more on the magical remedies side rather than medicinal, but now I'm going all in just for pain killers, the pain can't last that long can it?

Everyone? It's fairly common active component in cough medicines and even though we here in Finland have everything regulated to hell and back we even have one available over-the-counter (under the name Recipect, it even has the fancy red triangle which means you should definitely do precision work on heavy machinery in public areas).

Though there are some conflicting studies on it's effectiveness, codeine affects your central nervous system and makes you less likely to cough by increasing the threshold before autonomous nervous system kicks in the cough reflex. Dextromethorphan is almost as good and apparently doesn't metabolize into morphine like codeine does (but the amounts of morphine it does metabolize to are so miniscule it's irrelevant)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm (almost) a nurse so was really looking more on the magical remedies side rather than medicinal, but now I'm going all in just for pain killers, the pain can't last that long can it?

Funny, I remember everything with codeine/tramadol being prescription only in Finland. I guess the amount of codeine in over-the-counter stuff must be low.

Back