Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

• Total voters

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Do you think the Sony PS5 will have a 4K UHD BluRay drive despite PS4Pro not having it?

4k UHD drive is gonna be like DVD drive cheap in late 2020, absolutely no reason not to have it. A more interesting poll would be will it have 8K BluRay drive;)?

I hope so. In my house we very often play the same game on two different PS4s and it would be a humongous pain in the ass if we couldn’t do that anymore. That’s the only reason why I’d still support disc-based releases. We do not want to pay twice for games that we can easily just play one at a time.

You can use game sharing for playing the same game across two machines. Can't remember how it works on PS4 though.

Mmm ok I saw that and it’s for playing on one PS4 with multiple accounts. Not to play one game on another PS4. I think?

I don't think reducing player sales means reducing consumption, so much as everyone already has a BRD player. 5.6M were sold in 2016. 4.8 in 2017. 4.2 in 2018. People have extensive libraries of high-quality discs and still want something to play them on, preferably without requiring another large box in the CE cabinet. If the disc is required for distribution, playback will be an option, at worst as a purchasable unlock.

I wonder how many of those 4.2 million devices were made by samsung? Would also be interesting to see north america statistics.

Samsung made some of the worst 4K Blu-ray players anyway. For those who followed. Not a huge loss. Physical media will never really ‘die’.

As far as PS5, I’d be shocked if it didn’t have it, both because games keep getting bigger, and might as well let it play movies while you’re at it.

Last blu-ray/dvd I bought was in 2010. I don't pirate. I have Youtubetv, netflix and amazon prime. More content on those services than I have time to watch.

When I had ps4 I bought all games digital.

I think we are close to time when digital only sku makes sense for some markets. Especially so if consoles launch late 2020 or later. Blu-ray device could even be usb connected add-on.

I was thinking about different age groups this morning. I would assume dvd/blu-ray/uhd desirability would be heavily biased towards older age groups. Younger people seem to be streaming/digital happy and haven't accumulated physical media.

Games aren’t getting smaller. I suppose they will force you to pay for license to watch Blu Ray movies if cost is an issue

For those who vote 'no' why not? Will PS5 use normal BluRay, or be download only?

Last edited:
Back