Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

During beta streams, devs said that they locked game features and editor tools many months before beta begun just to make client stable and UI pretty. Now with Early Access, they can work on SP and finish engine/tools while community is having fun.

Seriously who cares about missing Single Player ? just play any cutscene heavy Sony game.
VR support ? who wants that ? it's kinect 2... gimmick stuff.
Stability ? LOL, the PS4 has only 3 feet, how can it be stable ?

As long as they let us create just give it to me ! :mrgreen:

I guess because digital only and no VR support in early access. Based of what I have seen, VR support will be very, very hard. How are they going to make sure the scene will run at a stable 60fps ?

Based of my experience, stable 60fps is possible in Dreams, but it's going to seriously restrict the graphics in most cases. Most of those most streamed dreams with big vistas or highly detailed stuff certainly arn't stable 60fps (even using the higher framerate mode on Pro, I can't imagine how those run on base PS4).

I hope they'll improve their engine in order to improve the framerate for all dreams. They could also make a specific very high framerate VR mode by lowering the resolution.

In the beta there was 2 modes: higher resolution or higher framerate, both modes targeting 60fps. But there was not much difference in resolution between both modes (on a 1080p screen anyways), but performance was noticeably improved in the higher framerate mode for all dreams. I think they could again lower the resolution for a specific VR mode.
For VR, I think 60fps is just one part of the issue. Vomiting is the another big one. Can they make sure UGC doesn't fuckup best practices for comfortable VR? Can they do anything to enforce "healthier" camera motion or at least encourage more sane VR game design?

Even if it was just during sculpting am object it would still be amazing and useful to have VR I think. And it’s ok if it would have a much lower thermo, you could still probably make a great Job Simulator type game in VR etc.

Early access owners will own the full game when it's released. €30 for this is a bargain. Maybe the full game will also be available at that price ? But I doubt it.

As with all Early Access titles, if you purchase at the point of Early Access starting, you won't need to spend any more money once Dreams launches in full.

And they won't stop the servers after some limited time, the early access players will be able to play the game until the 1.0 release.

Reactions: scf
Did the developers give any indication how long they would be in "early access" mode? I saw others suspecting another 9 months at least, but those seems just like guesses.

No. perso i think the game will be released for (or before) the holiday. EA will be limited to a number of players. They are still testing the waters (and I think the servers, they can't pull a Driveclub).

Genius move, test the game and have some of the best content creators ( I'm sure lots will be hand picked for the early access) create content for you before the game goes live for everyone.

It's a great creative tool but unfortunately I don't like the motion controls and the graphics are too soft and make me feel like having sight issues.

I don't think I will buy it.

It's a great creative tool but unfortunately I don't like the motion controls and the graphics are too soft and make me feel like having sight issues.

That's mainly because of the default camera motion blur applied on all dreams. It's way too strong... like what the hell were they thinking ? I think they do that to reduce the judder created by the wild fluctuating framerate and it creates a hazy dream effect.

Camera motion blur can be turned off in your own creations, I even played some dreams with moblur deactivated (well one). For instance the latest version of P.T. had no camera motion blur. The guy deactivated the motion blur at some point in his versions and it was much better without it.

But in the Beta, without documentation, that setting was actually not that easy to find, and not easy to apply to the whole scene, there was some kind of tinkering in the scene I didn't grasp, in some cases the off setting didn't work. But hey it was a beta.

I asked them to add a global setting to turn it off (along with CA and vignette) in all Dreams we play. Like the way you can select a high framerate mode. They said they'd consider doing it.

Although personally I really think anyone complaining about the motion controls are just ... too set in their ways (various stronger invectives omitted), apparently there are enough of you to make them build in non motion control alternative control options.

Have you played the Beta ? Because the most difficult is not the motion controls in my experience (that are applied to few simple handlings and optionnal in some others). The most difficult is using the DS4 with the 2 analog sticks with several possible control options in order to fully navigate in 3D in the scene. But that is allegedly partially solved using the move controllers, so they say.

The motion controls are very responsive and precise. But I admit my experience with GT Sport using the motion controls greatly helped (BTW people owning that game must try the motion controls, the driving is godly with those). But still, I have tons more experience with the analog sticks (about 20 years of experience) and it was harder for me (well at least it's becoming hard if you want to navigate in the scene very quickly, you can easily navigate slowly in your scene).

I like the style, but its not a game you get for the graphics, its the way you can easily create things that makes it intresting.

I like the style, but its not a game you get for the graphics..
You're right - it's a game you get for the art.

dreams.jpg

Have you played the Beta ? Because the most difficult is not the motion controls in my experience (that are applied to few simple handlings and optionnal in some others). The most difficult is using the DS4 with the 2 analog sticks with several possible control options in order to fully navigate in 3D in the scene. But that is allegedly partially solved using the move controllers, so they say.

The motion controls are very responsive and precise. But I admit my experience with GT Sport using the motion controls greatly helped (BTW people owning that game must try the motion controls, the driving is godly with those). But still, I have tons more experience with the analog sticks (about 20 years of experience) and it was harder for me (well at least it's becoming hard if you want to navigate in the scene very quickly, you can easily navigate slowly in your scene).

Motion controls are smart solution but I just don't like the controls.

It's not the kind of game/app that is supposed to be used with a gamepad.

I like the style, but its not a game you get for the graphics, its the way you can easily create things that makes it intresting.

I don't care about the graphics but if they make me feel annoyianc I do care.

Back