Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

Hard to know what I think of the game, I enjoyed the original and kind of liked the second but this one just seemed to be going out of it's way to make me dislike it. The intro video was cringeworthy, as previously mentioned the run animations and the swim animations and general fussiness about climbing and moving are annoying. And yet.... after 1/2 hr I was beginning to get back into Crackdown mode, then last night I had another session on it (yay for projector and Atmos sound!) and I was having lots of fun. Ignoring the 2 voiceovers chattering at me I went off on my own way hijacking cars ,tearing round getting skills up and just doing my own thing. Towards the end I played it a little more 'sensibly' - started taking down some of the suggested locations rather than randomly driving and climbing for orbs . still fun. So I can't say it's a good game , and I can definitely agree with the review scores but I'm itching to get home tonight for another hour or so of mayhem :)

So my last experience with Crackdown 3 … I meant to check something out for maybe 10 minutes at most, and next thing you know, it's over 2 hours later, perhaps even over 3 hours later. Such a silly fun game.

As perhaps @iroboto said, or something close to it, if this was food everyone says you should desire gourmet dishes of grand style, but damn these tacos are good!

Yeah, a lot of fun games I find aren't the big ticket items that everyone talks about or grand showcases, but fun doesn't need to be. One of the barriers to getting people to consider trying your game though is image. Crackdown 3 gets past that for a lot of folk by being on Game Pass. ;)

Ok... my 'hour' stretched into 2 1/2 , That's mainly due to me finding a homing rocket launcher and then thinking I only need 5 more minutes to level my agility/strength/explosives/ whatever. Had to force myself to stop.Have annoyed quite a few of the bosses now though :)

I don’t think players are alone in enjoying crackdown. Without Gamepass I likely would have passed on it. Reviews were so down, i would never had paid full price for a title like this. But I get to play this and SOTR. Lol. Gamepass has been delivering, Ive still largely avoided to purchase any new titles for some time now. RDR2 being the last and I’m struggling to get to ch3

Which sounds paradoxical. Maybe MS should have called this program GameNoPass. Or GamesThaYou'dOtherwisePass.
Lol. Perhaps.

It’s, a bit like shareware if you were a participant of that timeframe.

So few developers have time to dedicate to a demo, this is pretty much that.

The MP still means nothing to me, and the SP is a competent sandbox, but not enough for me to plunk down at full price. I might eventually pick it up on a discount just cause I've put a ton of hours into it. I much prefer the meatier story beats of Saints Row 3 & 4 and even Agents of Mayhem in all their insanity and wackiness.

Sumo's got potential here, but I'm guessing the IP will be deader than dead now thanks to yet another bungling on MS's part. I really think MS should have just shipped the SP as a stand-alone $40USD title as there was no way that the MP was going to compete while the SP gets dragged down by the stigmas building up over the delays and power of the clod.

----

Just some things I'd like to see in the darkest timeline where I write the sequel:
  • The Agency sends Terry Crews to New Haven City, which is controlled by the Arbiter (voiced by Keith David). Lester Speight guest stars as Julius Cole a.k.a. "Notes", a linebacker turned one-liner Doctor of Osteopathy, a significant figure in Agency medical science, responsible for your fancy powers (and making sure folks have good office etiquette).
    • As you defeat the mob bosses, you have to decide whether to kill them or let them be an ally
      • A) Kill the mob boss: The Director will urge you to simply kill them (in an obvious homage of Palpatine because who doesn't like cheesy and corny over-the-top).
      • B) Ally with the mob boss: The Director begrudgingly praises your moral backbone while punnily referencing the fact that that the Agency remade you.
    • As you continue the story, it's revealed that these mob bosses are ex-Agents. There's a contextual logic behind their split, but there can be corrupt ex-agents, and there can be some who are legit (in the context of how they're operating in the interest of the citizens or just taking advantage of them). Who you choose to kill or ally with matters at the end:
      • Kill corrupted ex-agents (who are no better than conventional criminals) -> favour the Agency, the citizens are on your side. Nothing but praise from the Director.
      • Kill uncorrupt ex-agents -> you favour the Agency, but the citizens in the zone/sector will tend to attack you. The Director uses it to justify the need for the Agency.
      • Ally with corrupted ex-agent -> favour splitting from the Agency. The citizens are prone to attack you.
      • Ally with uncorrupt ex-agents who don't believe in the Agency's methods, but have found a better way -> favour splitting from the Agency. The citizens are on your side.
        • And because we like cheese, the anti-Agency faction will call themselves the Urgency because these people have urges and don't want to be controlled, and it's urgent. Clearly.
        • (Julius Cole will call you out on how ridiculous it sounds)
  • Agents with actual story missions. The 2-3 script lines by the Director in CD3 aren't enough. Even Agents of Mayhem did some really basic missions filled with story dialogue just to give some context, and they ended up being tuned to the playstyle of the character. :rolleyes:
  • Add another layer of differentiation between agents beyond their specific bonus XP and have bonus attributes for their preferred weapon(s) e.g. ammo count, reload speed, precision -> things you'd expect someone who likes a certain weapon to be proficient with more than others, not just bonus XP. As it is, all the agents are effectively identical in CD3 gameplay.
  • Bring back animated transforming of the vehicle -> it's a technical difficulty on the art side (shifting/transforming vertices + textures), so maybe just use it to make upgrades for each vehicle type (separate upgrade paths for a sedan, an armoured vehicle, off-road, etc. instead of having an all-in-one vehicle).

Last edited:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019

Apex Legends manages to keep the top spot by a huge margin; while the gap between that and Fortnite in #2 is marginally closer, the former still manages to almost double the amount of players found in the latter. Meanwhile, Crackdown 3's campaign slams into #3 in its debut week, most likely due to its availability on Xbox Game Pass. Its multiplayer counterpart didn't fare as well, debuting at #22 with less than a third of the number of players garnered by the campaign.

In terms of new releases, both Metro Exodus and Far Cry New Dawn make debuts on the chart in #32 and #37 respectively. Despite not being released until February 22nd, the EA Access trial makes sure that Anthem debuts in #18 — that position will surely increase next week.

some interesting turn of events happening.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/19/crackdown-3-is-good-and-polish-doesnt-matter/

You see, Crackdown 3 is mediocre because it is a lot like the first Crackdown.

I should be clear that I don’t think these reviews are “wrong.” Chandler’s review is great. You should read it. But a game like Crackdown 3 puts critics in a tough spot. Gaming fans (specifically people who pay attention to reviews) prize elements like novelty, production values, and polish. Oh, boy — do we love polish.

And as much as we like to say that game reviews are subjective works of criticism, it’s almost impossible to ignore those popular signifiers of quality even when they don’t really matter.

But this is why I feel so out of sync with everyone. If a game is “good and enjoyable,” you can stop there.

This twitter thread spawning some major hate lol.

IIRC John L. was getting similar hate tweets for expressing his enjoyment of CD3.

yesterday I managed to get in some CD time in after my friends dropped off Apex. Expected to only play 10 minutes, ended up going 40 minutes chasing orb after orb and smashing area after area.

It's pretty good design to keep you flowing towards orbs yet smashing into the objective at the same time. I do wish I had a switch to play Zelda, I'm fairly confident I've read it's the main design goal for that title.

Last edited:
Back