Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's one hell of a well made dog -especially with RTX On-

The difference is subtle, but I prefer the more natural look of RTX ON (sometimes areas in shadow seem a bit overlit with RTX OFF). I suppose that if I played the game, I would notice the difference better than just watching a video.

Honest question, isnt there some other way of getting the nonRTX screens to look like the RTX screens without using RT? Nothing in these latest RTX screens seems unobtainable without RayTracing.

That’s what I’ve been saying on another thread but god forbid you’d try to have a decent conversation, you’ll be branded a non-believer and turned to dust.

That’s what I’ve been saying on another thread but god forbid you’d try to have a decent conversation, you’ll be branded a non-believer and turned to dust.

giphy.gif

Honest question, isnt there some other way of getting the nonRTX screens to look like the RTX screens without using RT? Nothing in these latest RTX screens seems unobtainable without RayTracing.

I can't remember exactly, and I can't really be arsed looking it up, but I seem to recall that Metro Exodus uses RTX in quite a limited fashion, so it's not really the best showcase for the tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest question, isnt there some other way of getting the nonRTX screens to look like the RTX screens without using RT? Nothing in these latest RTX screens seems unobtainable without RayTracing

Same for all other games, in special in screens.

Yes.

It certainly gets more challenging if you open up more areas or viewpoints, hard to make everything look correct from every angle. The beauty of linear corridor games :)

It seems the RTX in Metro doesn't have enough bounces to correctly lit the scene which is evident by the overly dark shadowy area in many instances while in real life it shouldn't be so dark. Also I wonder how they take into account of the eye adaptation for entering a dark area with minimal light as human eyes can eventually see more than near pitch black over time as our eyes adjust to the dim luminance.
While RT GI looks good in some areas, it's hardly discernible in other areas and worse than Rasterisation if doesn't have enough bounces in a few instances, I don't think it should be a main focus for next gen consoles at this stage. Perhaps more ray bounces in future titles could change my opinion.

Last edited:
It seems the RTX in Metro doesn't have enough bounces to correctly lit the scene which is evident by the overly dark shadowy area in many instances while in real life it shouldn't be so dark. [...] While RT GI looks good in some areas, it's hardly discernible in other areas and worse than Rasterisation if doesn't have enough bounces in a few instances

This is interesting. Long story short I have Exodus on PS4 and PC having pre-ordered it long ago for PS4 and not realising my 2080Ti included a redeem code. Having played a lot more on PS4 Pro than my 2080Ti PC, the lighting with RT enabled feels inconsistent between some similarly-lit areas. PS4 and disabling RT brings consistency back. In other places it looks great.

This is interesting. Long story short I have Exodus on PS4 and PC having pre-ordered it long ago for PS4 and not realising my 2080Ti included a redeem code. Having played a lot more on PS4 Pro than my 2080Ti PC, the lighting with RT enabled feels inconsistent between some similarly-lit areas. PS4 and disabling RT brings consistency back. In other places it looks great.
Since I don't have a 2080 ti :) from what I've observed on YT they should probably use the RTX for reflections and AO instead since those are more stable and consistent. I do agree some parts of RT GI does look very natural.

Having played it on both a pro and a 2070 pc, im understanding what DF means its a experience changer and the enourmous differences. DXR is on another level, the addition of nstive resolutions and 60fps make the game complete. Switching between the two, its hard going to the pro. Already such an impact with Metro, i can only imagine with titles like atomic heart which has a better implementation.
I do thus think next gen would suffer somewhere if omitting RT.

I don't know, from what I've seen I think all the rtx cards except for maybe the 2080ti have wasted silicon on the Ray tracing tech.

This is pretty interesting

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-metro-exodus-tech-interview

With the release of DXR GI on PC we have to recall our discussions a few years back about real time global illumination (rough voxilisation of the game scene was mentioned back then as a possible real time solution for GI). What type of GI does Metro Exodus use on consoles currently? Does DXR GI have an influence on where 4A engine might go for next generation consoles?

Ben Archard: We use spherical harmonics grid around the camera which is smoothly updated from latest RSM data each frame. Plus a bunch of light-probes. It is relatively cheap solution and quite good in many cases, but it can leak lighting, and is too coarse to get something even remotely looking like indirect shadows. If next-gen consoles would be good at tracing the rays we would be completely "in".

Let's talk about ray tracing on next-gen console hardware. How viable do you see it to be and what would alternatives be if not like RTX cards we see on PC? Could we see a future where consoles use something like a voxel GI solution while PC maintains its DXR path?

Ben Archard: it doesn't really matter - be it dedicated hardware or just enough compute power to do it in shader units, I believe it would be viable. For the current generation - yes, multiple solutions is the way to go.

This is also a question of how long you support a parallel pipeline for legacy PC hardware. A GeForce GTX 1080 isn't an out of date card as far as someone who bought one last year is concerned. So, these cards take a few years to phase out and for RT to become fully mainstream to the point where you can just assume it. And obviously on current generation consoles we need to have the voxel GI solution in the engine alongside the new RT solution. RT is the future of gaming, so the main focus is now on RT either way.

In terms of the viability of RT on next generation consoles, the hardware doesn't have to be specifically RTX cores. Those cores aren't the only thing that matters when it comes to ray tracing. They are fixed function hardware that speed up the calculations specifically relating to the BVH intersection tests. Those calculations can be done in standard compute if the computer cores are numerous and fast enough (which we believe they will be on the next gen consoles). In fact, any GPU that is running DX12 will be able to "run" DXR since DXR is just an extension of DX12.

Full interview at the link.

In fact, any GPU that is running DX12 will be able to "run" DXR since DXR is just an extension of DX12.
... which further implies DXR is not even needed as well, if someone thinks a generic implementation of RT might not be the best for a given task.
RT will come to next gen, even if MS/Sony would not care.

RTX is just one way to get RTRT in our homes.

Faster though. Nothing new as we saw what a 970 could do with minecraft. RTX enables RT in modern AAA games with still-playable framerates. Yes we can see RT on current GPUs like 2080 without RT hardware (like the Titan V), but performance will suffer, or the graphic complixity of the game will.
Wish my 1070 could run Metro RT at 2070 levels :)

but performance will suffer, or the graphic complixity of the game will.
Assumptions. At worst it will be like this: Console scaling up RT more aggressive than PC, lower framerates. Nothing new and acceptable with larger view distance and gamepad.
Why do you guys believe RT requires special and restricted hardware, although you never tried? I did, and i see no reason why it would not be fast enough.
NV could say 'you must have our awesome 1200$ GPU because it makes you shiny and more intelligent due to AI!'... and you would just believe.
I'll try damn reflections as soon as possible, if only to proof this. I'll let you know...

It doesnt matter what Sony/MS care if its AMD designing these chips, like BRIT said we can hope all we want but we have to see if AMD implements some form of RT.
AMD tailors its chips to the wishes of its customers. But those wishes do not even matter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back