Next gen lighting technologies - voxelised, traced, and everything else *spawn*

On the performance front, I can personally report that it's running a damn near flawless 60fps locked at max/extreme settings and Ultra DXR with no DLSS, running native 1440p on my 2080Ti. There are occasional places where it drops to the 50s, but those don't last long. There are many places where it's also comfortably above 70fps.

Last edited:
On the performance front, I can personally report that it's running a damn near flawless 60fps locked at max/extreme settings and Ultra DXR with no DLSS, running native 1440p on my 2080Ti. There are occasional places where it drops to the 50s, but those don't last long. There are many places where it's also comfortably above 70fps.
If only there was an .ini file somewhere that allowed you to trade that performance for more bounces/rays per pixel...

Oh, how I miss the old days :(

Performance is much better than for example Rise of the Tomb Raider with VXAO on a GTX980TI: https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/g...ide#rise-of-the-tomb-raider-ambient-occlusion

BTW: Look at the quality of VXAO. No difference to Metro. It is shame that this quality is not demanded by games and we still live in a screenspace world.

... sorry, after scrolling down a lot i found an image where VXAO shows its improvement. (Interior scene with open door)
Yes, much better than HBAO, but the objects float a bit. Typical voxel limitation. But i agree it's not much worse than Metro.
Would be interesting how it looks in motion, voxelization on characters could cause a lot popping?

I would not want to spend so much memory and cycles on voxelization just for AO. I know from other dev tracing reflections in 256^3 sponza scene only takes 1-2ms, but the voxelization takes 10ms!

By the way, a correction to my video on Metro RT - I say it is diffuse GI only which is improper and wrong. I managed to mess that up and not add in the details from our interview, I thought I had gone back and corrected it :/

AAh, but there is an obvious indirect specular contribution there which is pretty evident in the scene around 15:36

... sorry, after scrolling down a lot i found an image where VXAO shows its improvement. (Interior scene with open door)
Yes, much better than HBAO, but the objects float a bit. Typical voxel limitation. But i agree it's not much worse than Metro.
Would be interesting how it looks in motion, voxelization on characters could cause a lot popping?

I would not want to spend so much memory and cycles on voxelization just for AO. I know from other dev tracing reflections in 256^3 sponza scene only takes 1-2ms, but the voxelization takes 10ms!
Yes, that's why voxelization is done only for static objects in engines like Unigine and Godot.

Having played it on both a pro and a 2070 pc, im understanding what DF means its a experience changer and the enourmous differences. DXR is on another level, the addition of nstive resolutions and 60fps make the game complete. Switching between the two, its hard going to the pro. Already such an impact with Metro, i can only imagine with titles like atomic heart which has a better implementation.
I do thus think next gen would suffer somewhere if omitting RT.
there is a bright future ahead for Raytracing, it seems. Not only AMD is going to release RT GPUs but Intel also backs off this technology. Back to the future, Intel created a Raytracing demo 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Is 70fps in Minecraft at 1440p top-notch performance? It is 2 bounces, vs 1 for Metro. It is just a demo, vs a production implementation, so I'm not sure it would really be fair to compare performance anyway. It does look very nice, and I do like his idea of storing the average colour for a particular texture for GI purposes. Instead of actually sampling a point on a texture for colour information, he can just use the same average sample for the whole texture. There must be some performance improvements there, and it actually might lead to a less noisy and "better" look when you're dealing with 1 or less than 1 ray per pixel.

Edit: It's a GTX1080, very simple simple map even by minecraft standards. Would be interesting to see how the BVH affects performance as the world gets bigger. Geometric complexity here is pretty simple, but the GTX1080 isn't exactly a ray tracing gpu, even by raw compute standards.

Also, Minecraft is written in Java ... wtf ... so I imagine there's some lost performance there.

Last edited:
Here is another. Large world, specular reflections, water. Runnung on 960, fps pretty low.
Temporal filter causes the heavy lag, Q2 does much better here.

Also, Minecraft is written in Java ... wtf ... so I imagine there's some lost performance there.
If i got this right, he even needs to voxelize from some screen buffer - maybe he has no access to the data directly.

I was reading about SEED demo PICA PICA and they really did an amazing job to try to make everything look good despite huge limitations.
Still, a simple demo like that requires a lot of power.

I really hope that some ray tracing could be used to improve graphics in next gen games other than reflections (in my opinion they are not that useful from a cost/performance pov) and shadows (like in Tomb Raider) but I think we will have to wait for Next-Next-Gen (2027?)

Then we I hope we will be able to enjoy 4K raytraced visuals and let graphics talks be a secondary aspect of gaming tech.

Minecraft has multiple engines, depends on which version. The consoles and Win10 uses C++. Original version is Java using Lightweight Java Game Library to inteeface to native libraries like OpenGL.

Back