Movie Reviews 2.0

Saw Alita Battle Angel on IMAX 3D, loved it. Movie is flawed but the positives more than make up for it imo, the main character is well developed and genuine, the action and world-building are top-notch. Definitely recommending seeing this on the big screen. Going to see this a second time myself.
I'll probably see it sometime. But the artistic choice for the eyes just irks me so much.

In the comic, she doesn't really have unusual eyes. She just has anime eyes. Women in anime in general tend to be drawn with larger eyes. And hers aren't particularly out there, and I don't think they're ever intended to be superhuman in terms of the story.

So, it seems to me, they took what is a fact of the art style which Alita was drawn in, and made it into a plot point. Why? Why bother? On the one hand you're basically making fun of the manga art style. On the other, you're adding in this weird feature that can really turn off some audience members.

I'm just generally annoyed at that. Ah, well. I'm glad the movie seems to have come out okay, though I'm not sure I'll see it in theaters.

Well I'm extremely happy that I just booked my first ever Dolby Cinema ticket! It just opened in London and I'll go see Captain Marvel there. Can't wait. I'm bored of watching movies in cinemas with IQ (and sometimes sound) that's much worse than my own setup.

Well I'm extremely happy that I just booked my first ever Dolby Cinema ticket! It just opened in London and I'll go see Captain Marvel there. Can't wait. I'm bored of watching movies in cinemas with IQ (and sometimes sound) that's much worse than my own setup.
Sweet.

It Is quite distracting to watch movies with mid gray blacks after getting used to oled.

I have almost always had better sound at home ... and I never even spent that much money on it ... it’s just a matter of being able to set it up right exactly for your couch etc. always been kind of sensitive to sound as well, I remember one time I almost instantly noticed that just one of the fairly many surround speakers in a cinema on the right side of me wasn’t working, where other people barely even noticed there was surround in the first place.

whats make Dolby Cinema have better IQ and AQ than normal cinema?

normal cinema is pretty horrible in term of IQ and AQ. Even worse when 3D was popular

Sweet.

It Is quite distracting to watch movies with mid gray blacks after getting used to oled.

hahaha yep! the black is so horrible!

i have shitty 1000:1 IPS LCD with dark blue as black... and it still looks better than cinema screen.

I have almost always had better sound at home ... and I never even spent that much money on it ... it’s just a matter of being able to set it up right exactly for your couch etc. always been kind of sensitive to sound as well, I remember one time I almost instantly noticed that just one of the fairly many surround speakers in a cinema on the right side of me wasn’t working, where other people barely even noticed there was surround in the first place.

any idea how to get the rumbling low-frequency effect like in cinema?
my workaround, is by placing the subwoofer in front of me, and i put both of my feet on top of it....

I've read people add wood flooring, but that would be expensive and annoying to install.

IMAX is pretty good for IQ/AQ, especially AQ. Depends on the cinema though, I think the BFI in London is quite nice.

whats make Dolby Cinema have better IQ and AQ than normal cinema?

normal cinema is pretty horrible in term of IQ and AQ. Even worse when 3D was popular

hahaha yep! the black is so horrible!

i have shitty 1000:1 IPS LCD with dark blue as black... and it still looks better than cinema screen.

any idea how to get the rumbling low-frequency effect like in cinema?
my workaround, is by placing the subwoofer in front of me, and i put both of my feet on top of it....

I've read people add wood flooring, but that would be expensive and annoying to install.

I’ll update you when I actually go, but Dolby Cinemas are supposedly made to support Dolby Vision and Atmos. DV is a big deal because it means full HDR, deep blacks and great brightness. Not sure how effective it will be in reality but I’m sure it will be more impressive than pretty much every shitty screen here in London.

Dolby Atmos is quite widespread here already so it will be as great as anywhere else. Apparently they put a lot more speakers in there so we’ll see.

I do have an Atmos setup at home and the only way to get that rumbling effect is to have a GOOD sub in the right position. I have a REL sub, they make the best subs and together with the rest of my setup (KEF speakers), my whole house can really shake even at not so high volumes :LOL:

I’ll update you when I actually go, but Dolby Cinemas are supposedly made to support Dolby Vision and Atmos. DV is a big deal because it means full HDR, deep blacks and great brightness. Not sure how effective it will be in reality but I’m sure it will be more impressive than pretty much every shitty screen here in London.

Dolby Atmos is quite widespread here already so it will be as great as anywhere else. Apparently they put a lot more speakers in there so we’ll see.

I do have an Atmos setup at home and the only way to get that rumbling effect is to have a GOOD sub in the right position. I have a REL sub, they make the best subs and together with the rest of my setup (KEF speakers), my whole house can really shake even at not so high volumes :LOL:

please tell your story after you to to that cinema :D

btw my shitty 5.1ch (its a DVD-player setup) also can rumble the house (window shakes, bookcase clatters, etc) but I dont feel the rumbling thru my body enough. At lease when compared to the rumbling in movie theaters. In movie theater, even with crappy audio, the rumbling felt thru the whole body.

please tell your story after you to to that cinema :D

btw my shitty 5.1ch (its a DVD-player setup) also can rumble the house (window shakes, bookcase clatters, etc) but I dont feel the rumbling thru my body enough. At lease when compared to the rumbling in movie theaters. In movie theater, even with crappy audio, the rumbling felt thru the whole body.

So sound doesn’t go through you. Interesting. Maybe your super power is sound insulation! :LOL:

This is the Odeon luxe, right? I might go at some point, although the layout seems a bit weird.

Yes it is that one in Leicester Square. They’ve made it into some sort of luxury cinema thing with recliner seats and all that, cause clearly IQ and Dolby ain’t gonna sell it on their own.

If you really enjoy the movie, nothing wrong with that.

I haven't gone to a theater in years. There's a lot of content everywhere and this is suppose to be the golden age of prestige TV.

In fact I've probably watched a lot of movies on flights than anywhere else. I have a lot of unopened Blu Rays and DVDs and also digital copies of dozens of movies on hard disk.

I recently finished reading The Hobbit but I haven't read The Lord of the Rings, yet. I think the LOTR film trilogy was released first, right?

Can I watch The Hobbit trilogy without spoiling things for the books/movies of LOTR?

Yes, that should be fine. The Hobbit trilogy does the book much more justice, but it makes some extra effort to blend into the other trilogy, so clearly designed to be watchable in narrative sequence.

But although the book TLOTR takes more than 100 pages to get going, once it does, it is so much better than the films.

Only the first movie of the TLOTR movie trilogy is truly good and rewatcheable and in some ways actually an improvement on the book and, also quite rare, an improvement on my own imagination.

The other two have as many highlights as parts I just cannot bear to watch again and have to skip.

TLOTR should have been a Game of Thrones style high quality many season tv series. And with some improved direction.

Back