Metro Exodus

pharma

Legend
January 25, 2019
In Episode Two, we learn about the powerful 4A Engine - the studio's cutting edge in-house tech - and the incredible attention to detail that goes into creating Metro's distinctive weapons.

Been looking at some performance/IQ analysis on different sites. RTX makes the game look much better in some scenes. DLSS seems to improve IQ and performance significantly. Very nice.

Seems a lot darker in others, in a way that you can see sh... ... I'm not convinced that RT is always the way to go. But it's just the beginning, artists and devs will have a big learning curve with that.

Seems a lot darker in others, in a way that you can see sh... ... I'm not convinced that RT is always the way to go. But it's just the beginning, artists and devs will have a big learning curve with that.
Yeah but I think that's an art issue. RTX lighting is much closer to how it should be but the scenes weren't necessarily built for physically accurate lighting so when you you dropped the baked ambient shit it can be too dark.

Yeah but I think that's an art issue. RTX lighting is much closer to how it should be but the scenes weren't necessarily built for physically accurate lighting so when you you dropped the baked ambient shit it can be too dark.

Agree. But, in the gamer nexus video, RT bring nothing in some scenes except fps drop. Is it possible to enable/disable it on the fly, like switching rendering method dependint what the scene is ? If so you could have the best of both world.

I wonder if developers and artists will have to adopt fake/enhanced lighting similar to movies and TV. As audiences find real lighting in low light or dark scenes to be unpleasant to watch.

So if more realistic lighting models (RT) are adopted, will the artists then have to deliberately make the lighting in games less realistic to compensate?

It just makes me think of the evolution in lighting in MMORPGS. When EQ first launched they went for realistic darkness during nighttime or in caverns. Without a light source underground things were extremely dark and even with "bright" light sources, players still found things uncomfortably dark.

As a result all subsequent MMORPGS have adopted unnaturally well lit "darkness" for nighttime and indoors areas.

Regards,
SB

Compute is the way to go, not some limited ray tracing engine.

Either let the hardware manufacturers make a complete scenegraph API and put the entire rendering engine under their own control, or provide the best compute they can to the engine developers ... this half/half shit is annoying.

One thing I've noticed with someone streaming Metro: Exodus on a 2080 Ti with everything maxed except one setting which isn't RT related, is that most of the time it's not immediately apparent that RT is on.

And there's still a lot of lighting artifacts that are similar to traditional lighting (like light showing through solid objects). I'm guessing RT isn't used for all light sources. There's also a lot of odd glitching in lighting on distant scenery, probably not related to RT, although I'm not sure.

The point is, however, that without a side by side comparison, it's generally difficult to see or appreciate the RT lighting in the game. But the few times it is noticeable, it can be impressive. It's just pretty rare that it's noticeable enough that you think, this is definitely RT.

Regards,
SB

And there's still a lot of lighting artifacts that are similar to traditional lighting (like light showing through solid objects). I'm guessing RT isn't used for all light sources. There's also a lot of odd glitching in lighting on distant scenery, probably not related to RT, although I'm not sure.
I guess you haven't read all the other threads discussing it but only the sun and sky cast rays. Everything else is regular lighting.

So what are the opinions on the gameplay? How does it play compared to 2033 and Last Light? How is the linearity? More exploration?

So what are the opinions on the gameplay? How does it play compared to 2033 and Last Light? How is the linearity? More exploration?

From what I've seen, a LOT more exploration. It's "semi-open world" similar to the original Crysis. Large open map where you can do whatever. I think there's 3-ish maps you can roam on with various side objectives.

Exploring mostly rewards you with additional weapon modifications and potentially lore, as there is no experience or skills in the game.

The game is also a hot buggy mess at the moment from what I've seen with lots of potential save corrupting bugs and some locations you can get into but can't get out of.

I'd say definitely not to get it now unless you don't mind running into a game ending bug.

Regards,
SB

My brother says the spiders are too much for him. So if you have troubles with those critters, might want to steer clear. :)

Last edited:
Metro Exodus is strangely seeing an influx of positive reviews on Steam
The Metro series is no stranger to positive reception and 4A Games’ latest is no exception. Metro Exodus is currently trending at 84% on Metacritic, 83% on OpenCritic and now an influx of reviews has changed its Steam rating to “Very Positive,” as noticed by Eurogamer. Make no mistake, this is far from fans forgiving publisher Deep Silver’s decision to abruptly remove the game from Steam for the next 12 months, but it is an effort to give credit to the developers who have supposedly crafted “something uniquely beautiful.”
Sadly, unlike the handful of fulfilled Steam pre-orders that went fulfilled, Epic Games Store users currently have no in-house outlet to voice their opinions. Epic states that it has plans to add a review system of its own, allowing developers to eventually opt in or out before a game is released. “We’re experimenting with other mechanisms to improve this further,” explains Epic owner Tim Sweeney. Until then, those wishing to review Epic Store exclusives will have to use alternative platforms.
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/dami...eeing-an-influx-of-positive-reviews-on-steam/

Back