I've been losing 2/3rds pound or 300g per day

The long term diet interrupts habits more severely.
Do you mean diet as in dieting (ingesting less calories and therefore being hungry) or diet as in what you eat everyday? Actually most people don't achieve more than a few months of dieting (eating less calories).
Your previous level of eating was what caused you to become fat in the first place ...
That's wrong on multiple levels:

a) I have never actually been fat in my life, only slightly overweight, but I find the topic fascinating. ;)
b) Often it's not the amount of food that makes you gain weight, it's the change of circumstances. People maintain their weight for years, sometimes decades then circumstances change and -baam!- weight explodes. Reasons include more stress (raises cortisol levels) and lack of (restful) sleep. Most people who become parents can tell a story about that.

I tried Keto 5 months ago but with a small twist.

I never count how much I eat, only what I eat.
I allow myself carb based food and sweets over the weekends.
Initial 3 weeks of Keto I was quite strict 7 days a week.
I exercise regularly since beginning of 2018 with no weight loss till I started Keto.

So my results are as follows:
September I was 93kg on scale (176cm tall). I felt uncomfortable with my body but had good physical condition.
December I was down to 80kg and was feeling happier and my endurance during exercise improved.

Christmas and no diet put me up to 82.5kg, feeling great in January.

Now I'm still hovering around 81-82kg but had very busy period working very long hours and eating trash foods.

Started more balanced Keto this week to take me to my ideal weight of 77kg by April.

Initial switch from carbs to keto was not easy, for a week I felt bad and sick. Now I'm feeling fantastic, had my blood tested last week and everything is fine. Oh, I'm 37 soon to be 38 years old.

My body and genes are happy with keto. As for carbs, despite me being addicted to them, were slowly making me fat and not well.
Even my trainer couldn't believe how well this diet change affected me.

Everyone should realize, some things work better for some and worse for the others. A lot depends on your genetic code and finding your own balance with food, exercise and work.

Edit:
Fun fact - since young age I never liked to eat fat meats. Now I'm starting to like it :)
Forgot to mention I only have 2 proper meals a day and plenty of water or tea/coffee in-between.
Weekends, all bets are off!

Last edited:
hmmm, But the common wisdom from professionals, that paleo and keto diets are actually bad contrary to what the celebs say, yes perhaps others on the list are worse/equally bad.

It's obviously not optimal, but equally obviously still better than being overweight.

The beauty of keto is the ritualistic and dogmatic aspect of it, religion is a powerful drug. If you truly embrace the religion it's hard to not lose weight. It's certainly possible to get a caloric surplus on it, but most people will find it hard to stow away the necessary fat. Also protein intake will probably increase and might have been too low to optimize MPS before. You'll have to avoid a whole swat of processed food as well, more bonus.

Often it's not the amount of food that makes you gain weight, it's the change of circumstances. People maintain their weight for years, sometimes decades then circumstances change and -baam!- weight explodes. Reasons include more stress (raises cortisol levels) and lack of (restful) sleep. Most people who become parents can tell a story about that.

All based on anecdotal evidence. Fat people lie, it's the great constant.

It's obviously not optimal, but equally obviously still better than being overweight.
Ah, well, sorry. Not according to statistics. Overweight people have the longest life expectancy, followed by obese people and people with "normal" weight. Underweight people have very shitty life expectancy. :runaway:

Late to this brilliant thread and I have nothing to add other than, I used to be a skinny super fit bitch but I'mn 37 this year and good lord I can't lose the weight I've put on in the last 3 years. Not trying too hard but still, it used to be SO MUCH EASIER. Ok bye.
Do you have a hard time keeping your weight? Me too man. If I stop exercising or eating constantly (and a lot of meat) I start loosing weight in a matter of weeks. I've spent a month now working on a farm where they ate exclusevly vegetarian, and it took a toll on my weight. When I skipped my gf she complained my chest didn't look as muscular as she likes hahahaha. But with vegetarian food, I feel like I have to eat constantly to get as much out of it as I can with meat...

Do you have a hard time keeping your weight? Me too man. If I stop exercising or eating constantly (and a lot of meat) I start loosing weight in a matter of weeks. I've spent a month now working on a farm where they ate exclusevly vegetarian, and it took a toll on my weight. When I skipped my gf she complained my chest didn't look as muscular as she likes hahahaha. But with vegetarian food, I feel like I have to eat constantly to get as much out of it as I can with meat...
No I was saying the opposite! I used to have a hard time keeping it, and now I have a hard time losing it!

Ah, well, sorry. Not according to statistics. Overweight people have the longest life expectancy, followed by obese people and people with "normal" weight. Underweight people have very shitty life expectancy. :runaway:

Bullshit.
Overweight and obesity is associated with increased risk of all cause mortality and the nadir of the curve was observed at BMI 23-24 among never smokers, 22-23 among healthy never smokers, and 20-22 with longer durations of follow-up.

None of these are in the overweight class.

For all of you who think it's just exercise, eating, will and discipline that determines your weight, here is a pretty famous case of a patient gaining massive weight after receiving a stool donation from her obese daughter for her Clostridium difficile infection. She weighed 68 kg for years, after the stool donation she put on 17 kg and was unable "to lose weight despite a medically supervised liquid protein diet and exercise program":

http://ofid.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/1/ofv004.full.pdf+html

It's pretty new
WHAT :oops: I have never heard of that, and I'm the Useless-info-all-knowing Lord of the world.
Actually it's a pretty hot topic because it offers a way treat certain bowel inflammation diseases that were previously hard to treat or believed non-treatable. On the other hand because people becoming obese after stool donations, we now know some of our assumptions of how some kinds of obesity develops and can be battled were wrong and the importance of gut bacteria were underestimated. This may lead one day lead to a cure for certain kinds of obesity. Maybe one day overweight can be treated by a shot in the a**. :D

NB: The way we divide people into normal, overweight, obese and underweight is debatable to say at least, method (BMI) and scale. People come in all shapes and sizes, genetically speaking. Who can say what one's "ideal" weight really is.

Last edited:
I call Bullshit on your Bullshit. The study's author deliberately removed 2/3 of the subjects before analysis, e.g. smoker, ex-smokers and people with chronic diseases. It's a classic case of cherry picking.

That weakens the evidence, but you still don't provide any alternative. For "overweight people have the longest life expectancy" to be true, the maximum life expectancy has to be for a BMI above 24 ... show that.

PS. I don't know about you, but I don't smoke ... so a study excluding smokers is no skin off my back.

That weakens the evidence, but you still don't provide any alternative. For "overweight people have the longest life expectancy" to be true, the maximum life expectancy has to be for a BMI above 24 ... show that.
From one of the studies linked in the article:
Results Random-effects summary all-cause mortality HRs for overweight (BMI of 25-< 30), obesity (BMI of ≥30), grade 1 obesity (BMI of 30-< 35), and grades 2 and 3 obesity (BMI of ≥35) were calculated relative to normal weight (BMI of 18.5-<25). The summary HRs were 0.94 (95% CI, 0.91-0.96) for overweight, 1.18 (95% CI, 1.12-1.25) for obesity (all grades combined), 0.95 (95% CI, 0.88-1.01) for grade 1 obesity, and 1.29 (95% CI, 1.18-1.41) for grades 2 and 3 obesity. These findings persisted when limited to studies with measured weight and height that were considered to be adequately adjusted. The HRs tended to be higher when weight and height were self-reported rather than measured.
So overweight and obese (grade 1 level) live longer than normal weight people.

Here is another study for you:
We found 40 studies with 250,152 patients that had a mean follow-up of 3.8 years. Patients with a low body-mass index (BMI) (ie, <20) had an increased relative risk (RR) for total mortality (RR=1.37 [95% CI 1.32-1.43), and cardiovascular mortality (1.45 [1.16-1.81]), overweight (BMI 25-29.9) had the lowest risk for total mortality (0.87 [0.81-0.94]) and cardiovascular mortality (0.88 [0.75-1.02]) compared with those for people with a normal BMI. Obese patients (BMI 30-35) had no increased risk for total mortality (0.93 [0.85-1.03]) or cardiovascular mortality (0.97 [0.82-1.15]). Patients with severe obesity (> or =35) did not have increased total mortality (1.10 [0.87-1.41]) but they had the highest risk for cardiovascular mortality (1.88 [1.05-3.34]).

PS. I don't know about you, but I don't smoke ... so a study excluding smokers is no skin off my back.
No, I used to a bit, but I guess none of us knows if he ever develops a chronic disease. I hope you also don't plan to have cardio surgery ever, because
Categorical mortality was 8.79% (underweight), 7.04% (normal weight), 5.16% (overweight), 6.30% (obese), rendering an inverse J-shaped pattern known as obesity paradox.

So overweight and obese (grade 1 level) live longer than normal weight people.

You make a convincing case.

It's a shame they didn't try to find the minimum for BMI though for an apples to apples comparison. A study of averages over weight classes can't be compared with one which tries to determine a minimum over the BMI continuum.

Last edited:
Back