Next gen lighting technologies - voxelised, traced, and everything else *spawn*

Perhaps they weren't testing DLSS like gamegpu claims to be.
Perhaps it's a conspiracy against Nvidia? /s

Guru3D with 418.91

DLSS OFF + DXR High roughly same results as GameGPU
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/metro_exodus_pc_graphics_performance_benchmarks,8.html

Asnu7ww.jpg

What I find interesting is Nvidia recommended TechPowerup to use driver 417.22 for their ray tracing analysis, which might indicate a there might be a bug discovered in subsequent drivers. We'll see how this plays out.

Techpowerup doesn't mention if DLSS was enabled ot not in their DXR benchmarks and clearly it was ON in some cases because their results don't align at all with https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/metro-exodus-test-gpu-cpu (they have tested all resolution with DLSS on & off when applicable)
GameGPU and Guru3d tested the internal benchmark, which isn't representative of the gameplay in the game across most levels.

TPU tested without DLSS, they did a separate article for it.

RTX on vs off in Metro, the difference is jaw dropping IMO, particularly in outdoor scenes

Well, after watching the scenes a few times, it pains me to say this, I would say that RTX is not a must-have yet. It's still mostly gimmicky.

There are some (not all!) scenes outdoor scenes, where the difference between RTX on and off is huge, but I wonder if RTX-on-like quality could not have been achieved with conventional means, maybe with lower quality. And I'm a little underwhelmed by the little difference in the indoor scenes. I always thought that flashlights would be the case where RTX shines.

We still have RTX support for Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming up. Let's see how that will work out. Apart from that, do we have any other games with RTX support to look out for?

RTX on vs off in Metro, the difference is jaw dropping IMO, particularly in outdoor scenes

Opinions I guess, but when even the makers of this video have a hard time telling which is which (“wait is this RTX on or off?” at around 8 minutes in) then I know that I’m not being difficult here.

Problem is that if this wasn’t a side by side comparison, I (and many others) wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Heck, I can’t even tell the difference half the time in the side by side comparison! It mostly comes down to being a little brighter or a little darker here and there.

Sorry, this is not the RTX killer app that it’s being made up to be.

Yeah. Compared to the Minecraft illumination that was a real game-changer, Metro's RTX is making very little difference. BFV's reflections have a more significant impact on visuals.

Games developed from the ground up to use RTX (DXR) would benefit more from its lighting. eg. We hear that RT has to be turned off for stealth portions of a game because it screws with the dark lighting. The game was developed without RT in mind and its incorporation wasn't great. So just like VR needed to get some 'killer apps' like Astrobot to justify it, RTX is still waiting. (Of course, by the time great RT showcase games come out, RTX will be outdated and underpowered. ;)).

If it's no must have yet, they why would you think this would ever change?
Because I think in the future we will get the the point where games uses things like physically correct refractions, translucency, reflections, real-time GI and you instantly can tell the difference between DXR/RTX on and off.

Heck, I can’t even tell the difference half the time in the side by side comparison! It mostly comes down to being a little brighter or a little darker here and there.
That's the nature of ultra settings in general, the differences between High and Ultra in most games is hard to spot without side by side comparisons, heck, even the difference between High, Medium and low is hard to spot most of the time.

Raytracing visually enhances Metro Exodus graphics and should be enabled on a GeForce RTX graphics card if possible. Whether RT is high or ultra makes hardly any difference visually. If you have to switch back to high, you will not lose any effect that would attract attention. Whether the necessary denoising for RT on the shader ALUs or tensor cores is performed is not known. No disturbing noise has been noticed at any time during testing.

But Raytracing in Metro Exodus is not perfect. So there are scenes that are simply too dark, so that you almost do not see anything at all. Predestined for this are scenes that hardly provide light anyway. The problem is not raytracing itself. Because the Global Illumation with RT works flawlessly and shows a picture of how it would be in real life.

The only problem is that 4A Games needs to adjust the content to raytracing. When a light source is obscured by an object, it barely produces any light, if any. What works well with a rasterizer lighting, is realistic with raytracing, the scene works with the same lighting but then suddenly no more. At least in the case of global lighting, a game must therefore be adjusted accordingly to raytracing, which has not been done adequately in Metro Exodus. Such scenes are rare, but there are always times.
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02/metro-exodus-test-benchmarks/3/

The problem with games is that while lighting should behave correctly, the lighting setup itself can't usually be exactly the same way it is in reality. It's the same as in movies. Lights still have to be placed where in reality they wouldn't be, or you'd simply not get the visibility that is required to enjoy the content.

So DXR will not 'just work', because the artist will still need to place some lights without which you just wouldn't be able to play properly - example: very dark scenes with one candle in the room. Sorry but one candle does not cut it, in movies or games or anything. There is always extra lighting here and there, and if you think about it that's still 'cheating'.

Last edited:
Back