Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 GPU was between a 7850 and 7870. That’s not low-mid.

It was more to the low end of the spectrum then the high though, calling the GPU low-end doesnt really fit but neither does mid somewhere, seeing the range of GPU's after it, a 7970 versus a 290X was quite the difference, as to a GTX Titan 6GB.
8GB total in late 2013 was more like mid-end at most, 7970's with 6GB werent uncommon (its a 2012 gpu), and 8GB system ram wasnt anything special (in my eyes atleast), im talking medium/high end systems there.
Its CPU wasnt even low-end for the most, an i3 being somewhat better for the most in multiplatform comparisons.

With that said, i dont think PS5 can be a more 'let down' then PS4 was at the time of launch.

I also don’t think anyone would dispute that Zen 2 should be a huge leap forward, and actually relevant to current desktop CPU performance.

If its a 8 core Zen 2 @3.2 max it will be much better then the jaguar atleast, not a match for high or even high-end parts you can buy yourself for your pc obviously.

I follow your line of reasoning, but, sincerely, if Sony releases a lower than 8tf next-gen machine, next year.... then better not releasing anything imo.

Why? You cant expect 2080 or even Radeon VII performance in there, the design must have been finalized a while ago and production isnt far off if its a 2020 console.
Just the CPU will be a huge improvement, so will the GPU even @8TF, its not just a TF increase but also a architectural increase, faster and more memory, faster HDD/SDD, and maybe even RT hardware, almost certainly also better OS/game integration too.

People where let down and complaining about the low specs of the PS4 but see the sony people now praising their games against the xbox. Whatever hardware is in there devs will squeeze everything out of it they can and games will look much better then the PS4 ever could dream of. 60FPS could also see the light and maybe no need for faux 4k for AAA games too.

Dream away all you want with massive amounts of TFlops, huge chuncks of HMB Ram and even as large as 8GB just for the OS, but dont expect it to come true in a console under $700 atleast.

Watch DF's video on leaks and dreams/speculations about next gen consoles.

10 is very satisfying number from a marketing perspective. Just illustrating how much of a challenge that is assuming similar transistor and power budgets as last gen. Hopefully Navi is denser and more efficient.

Ps4 still is generally decent for 1080p gaming. 8gb of ram is still not bad amount(in comparison low memory amount of ps3 and xbox360 cause all games had low resolutions textures (also pc ports)), gpu hardware evolution pace is slowing down and 4k introduction create situation that todays pc gpus have job to do in current games. So ironically, ps4 called quite weak during premiere get old slower than ps3, 2 or 1.

I want 20TF (fp16) minimum purely for PR reasons:
11 times the ps4's peak fp16 performance
3.3x the Xb1X
2.4x the ps4pro

10 is very satisfying number from a marketing perspective. Just illustrating how much of a challenge that is assuming similar transistor and power budgets as last gen. Hopefully Navi is denser and more efficient.
What about a butterfly design ala PS4 pro with lower spec Navi, or even Vega? possible?

It was more to the low end of the spectrum then the high though, calling the GPU low-end doesnt really fit but neither does mid somewhere, seeing the range of GPU's after it, a 7970 versus a 290X was quite the difference, as to a GTX Titan 6GB.
8GB total in late 2013 was more like mid-end at most, 7970's with 6GB werent uncommon (its a 2012 gpu), and 8GB system ram wasnt anything special (in my eyes atleast), im talking medium/high end systems there.
Its CPU wasnt even low-end for the most, an i3 being somewhat better for the most in multiplatform comparisons.

With that said, i dont think PS5 can be a more 'let down' then PS4 was at the time of launch.

If its a 8 core Zen 2 @3.2 max it will be much better then the jaguar atleast, not a match for high or even high-end parts you can buy yourself for your pc obviously.

Why? You cant expect 2080 or even Radeon VII performance in there, the design must have been finalized a while ago and production isnt far off if its a 2020 console.
Just the CPU will be a huge improvement, so will the GPU even @8TF, its not just a TF increase but also a architectural increase, faster and more memory, faster HDD/SDD, and maybe even RT hardware, almost certainly also better OS/game integration too.

People where let down and complaining about the low specs of the PS4 but see the sony people now praising their games against the xbox. Whatever hardware is in there devs will squeeze everything out of it they can and games will look much better then the PS4 ever could dream of. 60FPS could also see the light and maybe no need for faux 4k for AAA games too.

Dream away all you want with massive amounts of TFlops, huge chuncks of HMB Ram and even as large as 8GB just for the OS, but dont expect it to come true in a console under $700 atleast.

Watch DF's video on leaks and dreams/speculations about next gen consoles.
Zen 2 will be extremely competitive on IPC. Of course it will be behind on frequency, but that allows for 66% of the performance at 33% of the power.

Ps4 still is generally decent for 1080p gaming.

So is my i7 920 with a GTX670 and 8GB ram, in general better performance then the PS4 for most multiplat games, yes this has been tested with even modern games like Doom and newest wolfenstein. Were talking slower pace of HW development here, applies to all machines and builds. Dunno if thats a good thing or not though :p

I want 20TF (fp16) minimum purely for PR reasons:

I want 15TF (atleast turing comparable flops) FP32 performance with RT hardware, 32GB ram total, perhaps dedicated 16HBM2 dedicated GPU ram and 16GB DDR5 for OS, Nvme SSD's in raid 0, Ryzen Threadripper 32c/64t @3ghz base, vapor and water cooling so it be cool and silent. A rather large amount of features like VRS, some deep learning and other crazy things for the heck of it, its not just a video game system anymore. Not just for PR reasons. Dreams.
But thats what i want, maybe i should build a pc by then 2020/2021 with arcturus or something.

Zen 2 will be extremely competitive on IPC. Of course it will be behind on frequency, but that allows for 66% of the performance at 33% of the power.

Hope so, as Ryzen now isnt all that competitive against Intels offerings in performance as tested by DF. A 2080Ti is really tanking Intels higher end offerings allready now.
Zen 3 on 7nm+ will see the light around next gen console launch, i assume those will be even more competitive. Dunno if their too late to land in the PS5 though.

Here a DF article on specs and prices of next gen

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...usd-how-much-will-true-next-gen-consoles-cost

Last edited:
I think in raw flops departament, barring some gigantic CU graze, resolve should be quite similar to console 28-16 jump. Amd is reporting 2x density and 0,25x performance from high performance 7nm node( or 3x density with mobile libraries , maybe this is better fit for 3ghz cpu and 1GHzgpu? ). So about 10tflops following pro design or maybeee even 13 if following X, so attached with ample memory bandwidth and cooling present. There is also 7nm+ launching production in march, TSMC is promising little bit of gains( 17% area reduction and 10% power) and easy ports from 7n, maybe its not to far fetched if console is launching next year.

On the other hand I have seen some twits with grumpy jokes about current moore law, fabs are getting twice expensive every three years etc. Who was joking? Lets just say he would be one of the first to see the bills for new console.

Let's assume $400-450 is the price target. Let's also assume that 350mm of 7nm die in 2020 likely costs more than 350mm of 28nm in 2013. You may be able to balance that by decoupling and binning the CPU chiplet, which also improves yield on the GPU die. Vega 20 is 330mm without the chiplet IF link a console version would need. Without density improvements on Navi, at best you're looking at 75% of Vega 20 die size, and 75% of the frequency (< 150W console TDP). That could be < 8 TFLOPS, and definitely < 10.

I'm not even factoring in the larger memory costs, or the need for NAND.

I don't really expect more from Sony. Their console design strategy since the PS4 seems to be pragmatic and not risk too much by over designing things to keep the costs in check. They have a large install base and if they aren't stupid to not be compatible I can't see why they would be forced to risk more.

A 25-40% faster GPU than the X1X with 4 more GB and Zen2 sounds like a good enough base for 4K consoles to me by Sony.

Same thoughts... And for the same reason 16 / 18 gb RAM... Only the bus bandwidth is still a question for me ... Should be double to the one ps4-pro at least... Or a bit more.

I was bored.

ps5-architecture-ariel
ps5arieldiagram.png

Would the number of Gddr6 controllers need to be doubled since the 16bit parts are completely independent?

I don't know what UFC is, but it sounds violent. May the best bits win the path to memory. Bus arbitration takes a whole new meaning.

Would the number of Gddr6 controllers need to be doubled since the 16bit parts are completely independent?

I don't know what UFC is, but it sounds violent. May the best bits win the path to memory. Bus arbitration takes a whole new meaning.
I suppose so? Half-width ala Durango, but with 2 controllers feeding into a single GDDR6 (2chan)

Wonder if the older Phenom IMC operation modes would be relevant to discuss:
http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.p...-the-ganged-vs-unganged-question.html?start=1

Last edited:
40 CUs, those are very conservative specs and imply a $399 price. In line with the 8+ tfops reddit leak. If true then 2020 is going to be very different than 2013 if MS really release a 12 tfops machine.

8 tfops certainly would not look next gen for some compared to XBX's 6 tfops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back