I've been losing 2/3rds pound or 300g per day

potato is the most likely reason all my male friends are honking the horn daily (and I have good reason to believe it's the same with females, they just try harder to hide it). The only things worse in this aspect are cabbage and peas/beans.

I wanna hear more about this! Is your girlfriend bursting out smelly silent ones, but is denying them :)

A few posts ago I gave you 6 scholarly articles, you ignored all but one. Why can't you try a bit harder yourself? Why can't you read the news releases and follow links to referenced articles?

Set mind doesn't look new dawns.

Do you know why is that the case?

A habit of mine is to eat food out of refrigerator instead of heating it up. I sort of like my food cold (not frozen though). Like cold pizza, lasagne, steak, rice, soup and potatoes.

The structure of the potato turns into more porous form and the starch content 'loosens up' when cooked. You know how cooked potatoes turn stiff in a way when you refrigerate them? It's easy to identify whether the potato on your plate has been freshly cooked or if it's yesterday's leftovers. Supposedly the starch binds together again when it is cooled, and it then disintegrates in a slower fashion when digested.

I wanna hear more about this! Is your girlfriend bursting out smelly silent ones, but is denying them :)

I once heard this line which I find universally true:
A relationship has reached mature state when the female doesn't cover up farts. :D
And in marriage, there should be no secrets, they say. I've found there aren't.

Just an update, I've slowed my weight loss down to 0.6-0.8KG per week but my current tally is 71.45 or a BMI of 23.87. So im getting there.

Annoyingly though, my shorts I bought last month no longer fit me, yet again! I really want to get some denim shorts but they are expensive and I can't be sure I'll fit them. When should I start looking at getting a new wardrobe? I don't want to buy some and then either be to small for them or too big! :(

Just an update, I've slowed my weight loss down to 0.6-0.8KG per week but my current tally is 71.45 or a BMI of 23.87. So im getting there.

Annoyingly though, my shorts I bought last month no longer fit me, yet again! I really want to get some denim shorts but they are expensive and I can't be sure I'll fit them. When should I start looking at getting a new wardrobe? I don't want to buy some and then either be to small for them or too big! :(

Don't worry they'll fit when you put the weight back on. :devilish:

no adverse effects have been found from long-term

There aren't really good endpoint (ie. death) studies for very low carbohydrate diets. Nothing comparable to vegan/vegetarian/pescetarian studies. As for indicators of CVD risk, those are nice and all, but it's quite easy to improve on a "standard" keto diet ... just replace most saturated fat with MUFA to win another couple percentage points.

The meta-analysis you posted only gives more strength to claims for superiority of low carb over low fat, when taking into account the knowledge (excluded from that paper) that LDL and total cholesterol values (which are the only ones where low carb was not better than low fat) are the weakest indicators of cardiac risk in the lipid measurements compared to HDL and triglyceride figures. Higher triglycerides are also indicative of smaller particle size of LDL, which in turn has been found to be much more potent cardiac risk than total LDL. Like I already said, the blood lipid issue is much more complex than what current official recommendations suggest, and The joint effects of apolipoprotein B, apolipoprotein A1, LDL cholesterol, and HDL cholesterol on risk: 3510 cases of acute myocardial infarction and 9805 controls is the latest paper on that front.

You can have your (low carb) cake and eat it though, pretty much every high saturated fat very low carbohydrate study shows increased or non significant changes in LDL ... but there are studies for very low carbohydrate diets showing decreased LDL on top of all the normal results. Just have to sacrifice one of the central tenets of the Keto religion, saturated fat being good.

On top of that there are studies indicating that replacing saturated fat with MUFA improves abdominal fat loss and insulin resistance (probably related).

Found this graph from a girl on the web who kept dieting and weighing herself for years:

1bd9abb2fea563a0f6be17b745c2d29a55671d6ff7e5fa379928bb6ff78604bc.jpg

Found this graph from a girl on the web who kept dieting and weighing herself for years:

1bd9abb2fea563a0f6be17b745c2d29a55671d6ff7e5fa379928bb6ff78604bc.jpg
Neat, but worthless as a data point. Yo-yo style weight loss and gain cycles are standard fare in dieting. Extend that graph a few more years and we might have something interesting.

You just have to look at the commercial shake diets full of sugar ranking higher on that list than paleo or keto to realize that list is bullshit.
Usnews seems to be like those magazines for diabetics which are full of sweets in their front covers and actually try to convince gullible diabetics that those sweets are "safe".

Last edited:
hmmm, But the common wisdom from professionals, that paleo and keto diets are actually bad contrary to what the celebs say, yes perhaps others on the list are worse/equally bad.
From memory keto diet is only for ppl with severe epilespy (or am I confusing it with another)

The problem with dieting is that it's much more complicated than counting calories.

There are a ton of studies out there that prove that starving yourself by dieting will lead to short term weight reduction, but in the long term it will increase your weight.

Since a couple of years we know that dieting changes your hormone system and your gut bacteria. Basically you (and your gut bacteria) become more efficient in extracting energy from your food. So when you finish dieting and return to your previous level of eating, you will put on weight because you take in too much energy and your body is eager to store it because from the perspective of your body you just had a starvation crisis, so it thinks better be ready for next time.

Also genetics play a huge role here. If you are predisposed the be stocky, you will probably never will be skinny for a lengthy amount of time in your adult life.

Genetics is also the reason why some people have so much success when they try keto or paleo. Our diet is less protein-rich than it was 30 or 50 years ago. But because of genetics a considerate amount of the population needs more proteins in their diet than a common diet will provide So when eating food that is low on proteins they constantly feel hungry. Even if they already ate more calories than they need, they will keep on eating until their body thinks it's got enough proteins. If you are constantly having an appetite for hearty food, you are probably in this group.

There a couple of other thing to look out for when you want to loose weight or don't want to put on weight. Avoid light products. Avoid artificial sweeteners (some are proven to mess up the hormone system, also they are used to fatten piglets). Avoid convenience food with a lot of emulsifying agents (believed to mess up gut bacteria), prefer home-cooked meals, learn to cook if necessary. Avoid low-fat products (like low-fat milk, not products that have no fat in the first place). Mostly avoid soft drinks, prefer soft drinks with sugar instead of artificial sweeteners if you must. Mostly avoid fruit juice. Mostly avoid alcohol (prefer wine to beer). Actually mostly avoid any beverages with a lot of calories. Probably avoid corn syrup or high-fructose syrup. Try to eat 3 meals a day (and nothing in between). Don't eat food because you think it's 'healty', eat food that you like and that agrees with you. Make sure your diet contains enough protein and fat (I'm not getting in the good fat vs bad fat mine field here, but probably avoid trans fatty acids). Exercise 3-5 times a week for an hour (light to moderate exercise), prefer muscle training to cardio, at least 2:1. Stay active, use your bike or walk instead of using your car if you can, avoid elevators, use stairs if you can, etc. Try to have at least 6 hours of restful sleep every night.

From the top of my head this a is selection of advice that has been medically validated in the last years, at least until new studies come along that tell us otherwise. Of course your mileage may vary, because genetics and personal circumstances.

There are a ton of studies out there that prove that starving yourself by dieting will lead to short term weight reduction, but in the long term it will increase your weight.

The long term diet interrupts habits more severely.
Since a couple of years we know that dieting changes your hormone system and your gut bacteria. Basically you (and your gut bacteria) become more efficient in extracting energy from your food. So when you finish dieting and return to your previous level of eating, you will put on weight because you take in too much energy and your body is eager to store it because from the perspective of your body you just had a starvation crisis, so it thinks better be ready for next time.

Your previous level of eating was what caused you to become fat in the first place ...

Late to this brilliant thread and I have nothing to add other than, I used to be a skinny super fit bitch but I'mn 37 this year and good lord I can't lose the weight I've put on in the last 3 years. Not trying too hard but still, it used to be SO MUCH EASIER. Ok bye.

Back