Apex Legends (TitanFall Hero Battle Royal) [XO, XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

It also seems like a waste of money.

"What is this Fornite game you speak of? I've never heard of it."
It's the other way around. Searches for Apex Legends yields Fortnite ads.

And it is scummy. If someone goes looking for info, they should be provided the info they want, and not what info others pay for them to hear. It's like going to into a shop for a particular product and having the sales assistant keep trying to sell you something else. However, the free market basically is scummy these ways - sick and tired of 'promoted' items on the top of Amazon search results too but there's nowt to be done about it and one has to learn to live with it and filter out the paid crap.

Just tried a search and the results are all Apex Legends related. Hope Epic are spending a lot for that non-result. ;)

Last edited:
Google always labels this stuff as "sponsored". It's a fair compromise and anyone internet-trained already automatically ignores the first few sponsored results on Google searches. Of all things wrong with Epic, Fortnite and Google, I think that is the most non-issue as all.

And it is scummy. If someone goes looking for info, they should be provided the info they want, and not what info others pay for them to hear. It's like going to into a shop for a particular product and having the sales assistant keep trying to sell you something else. However, the free market basically is scummy these ways - sick and tired of 'promoted' items on the top of Amazon search results too but there's nowt to be done about it and one has to learn to live with it and filter out the paid crap.

Just tried a search and the results are all Apex Legends related. Hope Epic are spending a lot for that non-result. ;)
yes, there is something going on. In fact, there is more to it. Mark Rein congratulated the Apex Legends team and then he deleted the message. They seem to be nervous. I guess that's because it has been a LOT of time ever since Epic created a game that was above the mark -Unreal and Unreal Tournament come to mind, and GeoW-.

47006854972_d5951a3694_b.jpg

Vince Zampella saw the message and invited him to a few drinks.

46335157874_431befa960_b.jpg

I don't consider that such a scummy practice, as long as it's not trying to actually fool the consumer into thinking one product is the other.
The way it's usually done is in the spirit of "oh, so you like that? Cool. You'll probably also be interested in this..."
Well thats the thing. We can always be "creative" with interpretations to get away with it :D
In economic terms that might be considered unhealthy competition or one of the unfulfilled assumptions required for a free market to reach its levels of ideal competition.
If one company has significantly more capital resources than the other and therefore can "market" its products in an invasive manner while the other one can't, then the second business is losing market while the other is gaining without necessarily providing a better product.
In the above case an already super popular and massively adopted product is using parasitic marketing practices to gain, potentially at a cost, of the newly promising product

Well thats the thing. We can always be "creative" with interpretations to get away with it :D
In economic terms that might be considered unhealthy competition or one of the unfulfilled assumptions required for a free market to reach its levels of ideal competition.
If one company has significantly more capital resources than the other and therefore can "market" its products in an invasive manner while the other one can't, then the second business is losing market while the other is gaining without necessarily providing a better product.
In the above case an already super popular and massively adopted product is using parasitic marketing practices to gain, potentially at a cost, of the newly promising product
that's what they call damage control. As I said, since Unreal and Unreal Tournament and then GeoW, Epic didnt do anything worthwile -talent wise-. Even their best success, the engine, is a bad performer

Last edited:
That's free market economics. It's why the big fish keep getting bigger; you can effectively buy success to a degree.

That's free market economics. It's why the big fish keep getting bigger; you can effectively buy success to a degree.
Well yes. That was my point. Although I refuse to call it free without " ". I prefer to use either "free" or the term unregulated. Whats so free if some are not free to rip rewards only because others prevent them by playing a dirty game?
Nintendo in the 80s and in the early 90s used to force harsh contracts on its software developers which were anything BUT free for them or the competition.

I just meant that it was a waste of money to inundate Apex searches with Fortnite info and links. Anyone that's a gamer, especially one that's searching for info on Apex, is 99.9999% likely to know what Fortnite is, or to have already played it.

Nintendo in the 80s and in the early 90s used to force harsh contracts on its software developers which were anything BUT free for them or the competition.

Nintendo would threat to stop selling games to stores that offered games by the competition. It's certainly a very hardball game to play, and I don't necessarily agree with it, but stores were still free to give N the middle finger and sell only Master System and PC engine games. The word free still applies. Still a shitty practice by ninty, and in a way, they payed for it with N64 and GC. It isolated them in their own little bubble and eventually backfired. Free market sure is somewhat savage, but it does come around many times. If you wanna be philosophical, life itself is Savage, and it can get much worse then 80's video game cartridge business and Google searches...

Nintendo would threat to stop selling games to stores that offered games by the competition. It's certainly a very hardball game to play, and I don't necessarily agree with it, but stores were still free to give N the middle finger and sell only Master System and PC engine games. The word free still applies. Still a shitty practice by ninty, and in a way, they payed for it with N64 and GC. It isolated them in their own little bubble and eventually backfired. Free market sure is somewhat savage, but it does come around many times. If you wanna be philosophical, life itself is Savage, and it can get much worse then 80's video game cartridge business and Google searches...
They weren't exactly "free" to do as they pleased. Nintendo had the highest market share by large. In the USA Nintendo had 90% of the market share during the 8 bit era. The console has created such a massive reputation, with such a massive catalog of games that the consumer wanted, stores had to choose between selling the sure seller or the one that didnt have much demand because thats the situation Nintendo have put them in.

So in essence stores where in a similar situation as the developers. The developers could have also chosen the Master System but they chose Nintendo. Although they are not obliged to sign the contract and make games just for Nintendo on the surface, Nintendo's monopoly gave them no choice but to sign a non-favorable contract. The real free market is to have the freedom to develop for both without binding contracts and to sell any product you want without threads.

Namco at one point took Nintendo to the court for their practices and because of economic pressure by Nintendo they pulled back support for Sega's console and the court case. They signed another Nintendo contract. It was a humiliation that Namco has never forgot.

Now regarding how savage the world is, I cannot use that as an excuse. We are beings with potential high intelligence that can invest it in either positive or negative directions. As we evolve we tend to become civilized. This is why we do not act with savage instincts such as rape, kill, steal and beat each other up. We contain these acts through culture and education while we strive for the positive. Unless we are heading towards a dystopia. This should apply also for the economy

Look Nesh, you are right. It boils down to where to draw the line of natural competition and unfair one, which is an infinitely subjective and imprecise.
I also am an uncorrectable devil's advocate by temperament. I just love to find reasonable points to disagree with what I feel (from my admitedly very subjective point of view) is the "clichè" position. I'm actually very much against Monopoly and oligarchies, but I can't see a contentious issue without dropping in to disagree with everybody. So take that pinch of salt for everything Milkie says.

Compared to what?
CryEngine, anything Capcom, Sega and Nintendo. Even EA!

It wasn't meant as a comparison, but the results on consoles are there and even on the PC, UE games like Ace Combat 7 could perform better.

I've always thought skins made more sense in games where you actually see your character more than 99% of the time in-game, and maybe I just don't care what random people see across the intarwebs. Weapon skins make some sense, but most of them are uninteresting designs.

ahem.

Back