Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Anyone here playing VR with base PS4?

Any opinions in comparison with PS4 Pro?

I bought PSVR a few months before my Pro. Skyrim's probably the biggest difference: it was pretty ugly on the base PS4, with the IQ of an early, low budget PS3 game. On the Pro, it looks like a late PS3 game from a high tier developer.

I've since taken a job that takes basically all of my time, but that will come to a close within a fortnight :LOL:

Time to lose myself to Skyrim! :runaway:

Many first party games the main difference is lower resolution outside the center of view. Third parties can be everything from more upscaling to framerates, but in general Sony is strict on hitting at least 60 which is then upscaled to 120.

I think Ian Highton of Eurogamer often mentions the difference. I personally started on PS4 but switched to Pro fairly soon after. I still have both though.

I got a Pro specifically for VR and it does make a significant difference. Text is no longer blurry for example. No more foveated rendering on the corners of the screen. Image is generally cleaner and less aliased.

I got a Pro specifically for VR and it does make a significant difference. Text is no longer blurry for example. No more foveated rendering on the corners of the screen. Image is generally cleaner and less aliased.

Yeah the clarity boost is really nice.

Btw
Ace combat 7 still do foveated rendering on pro. Only in the second mission.

Many first party games the main difference is lower resolution outside the center of view. Third parties can be everything from more upscaling to framerates, but in general Sony is strict on hitting at least 60 which is then upscaled to 120.

I think Ian Highton of Eurogamer often mentions the difference. I personally started on PS4 but switched to Pro fairly soon after. I still have both though.

Yeah, Sony games adhere to the minimum guidelines. Including the super annoying CAMERA = MUST BE FORWARD.

3rd parties usually will add FORWARD = anywhere you reset the view after they got blasted by users.

As for the performance, some 3rd parties will ignore guidelines while the game is loading (frame drop, static view, etc)

I understand that Pro is obviously better. What I would like to know is if you think that VR is worth even with a base PS4.

Now I have a PS4 but I don't want to buy VR and be very disappointed. :-S

Most great games are still great on PS4 standard with PSVR. But if you are worried I suggest you just google for the details on the games you want to play with PSVR.

Most great games are still great on PS4 standard with PSVR. But if you are worried I suggest you just google for the details on the games you want to play with PSVR.
I would go for Skyrim and RE VII. Normally, I'm not very picky with graphics, even though I obviously like pretty graphics. I usually play old/retro games, so I'm fine with a lower resolution as long as the experience is consistent, but VR is different, I guess, so I have these questions.

I already read here that Skyrim VR on base PS4 doesn't look very good. I wonder if it's just playable and enjoyable, overall.

It's still playable and enjoyable, just a bit ugly at times. Things like aliasing in more distant objects, more prolific pop-in. Nothing game breaking.

It's worth saying that I played it on the base model before it had received a bunch of patches, at least one of which was explicitly focused on graphical improvements, so it looks better now than it did when I played it.

REVII looked and played great on the base PS4. I didn't get very far, so maybe there are demanding sections that struggle, but everything I saw ran fine.

I started it up on my Pro just to see what differences manifest. All that I noticed was higher resolution in the periphery.

I think the Pro is a really good upgrade to pair with PSVR, but it's not necessary. If you play retro games and don't mind a bit of aliasing here and there, or instances of lower resolutions, I think you'll be fine.

Finally got to try this. It was good, but technically very flawed for me where my friend was far more impressed. I couldn't get the thing in focus, and the adjustment to get it in focus was very crude. With no IPD adjustment, I couldn't centre on the screens. After some use I managed to relax into it and accept the blurriness and double vision, but it was far from a simulation of real life.

The tracking was absolutely perfect. 120 Hz felt perfectly responsive when moving one's head around. Played a few of the Playroom VR games and the 3D was pretty good. Played Skyrim VR expecting great things and IMO it was rubbish. The control scheme (dual Moves) was ridunkulous, turning with buttons on the right controller. I went straight for actually VR control and not weird teleporting which I found immediately far more disorientating, suddenly appearing somewhere else. Plus that changes the gameplay as you can teleport away from trouble instantly. The vague waving of weapons to hit enemies had no sense of control, like Wii waggle. Just thrash around with the sword until they died, without any sense of timing or Move type combat from the better Move games. And shooting arrows was impossible because everything was so blurry and low res, I couldn't see an arrow fly or hit.

The TV out idea also needs work, because showing a raw feed of a person's head movements looks like god-awful amateur-hour shaky cam. For the player who's inner ear is telling them how their head is tilted, everything looks properly aligned, but on the TV out it's all shaking and rotating around with the slightest head movement making it difficult to watch. It should be normalised to 'up' and shake-reduced like digital image stabilisation in a camera.

Apart from a little eye-strain, I didn't feel any negative side effects. It'd be nice to try VR with a decent display that can accommodate my outlier personal optics, but that'll probably be too expensive for mainstream devices.

Finally got to try this. It was good, but technically very flawed for me where my friend was far more impressed. I couldn't get the thing in focus, and the adjustment to get it in focus was very crude. With no IPD adjustment, I couldn't centre on the screens. After some use I managed to relax into it and accept the blurriness and double vision, but it was far from a simulation of real life.

The tracking was absolutely perfect. 120 Hz felt perfectly responsive when moving one's head around. Played a few of the Playroom VR games and the 3D was pretty good. Played Skyrim VR expecting great things and IMO it was rubbish. The control scheme (dual Moves) was ridunkulous, turning with buttons on the right controller. I went straight for actually VR control and not weird teleporting which I found immediately far more disorientating, suddenly appearing somewhere else. Plus that changes the gameplay as you can teleport away from trouble instantly. The vague waving of weapons to hit enemies had no sense of control, like Wii waggle. Just thrash around with the sword until they died, without any sense of timing or Move type combat from the better Move games. And shooting arrows was impossible because everything was so blurry and low res, I couldn't see an arrow fly or hit.

The TV out idea also needs work, because showing a raw feed of a person's head movements looks like god-awful amateur-hour shaky cam. For the player who's inner ear is telling them how their head is tilted, everything looks properly aligned, but on the TV out it's all shaking and rotating around with the slightest head movement making it difficult to watch. It should be normalised to 'up' and shake-reduced like digital image stabilisation in a camera.

Apart from a little eye-strain, I didn't feel any negative side effects. It'd be nice to try VR with a decent display that can accommodate my outlier personal optics, but that'll probably be too expensive for mainstream devices.
It does have an IPD adjustment stored per user, it remaps the warp matrix instead of physically moving the lenses.

No VR headset can work well without setting this correctly for each person.

Yes, sounds like it wasn’t set up right.

One focus tip I give anyone trying it is to move the band at the back of the head up and down to find the sharpest image...that usually does it.

Agree about Skyrim but I suspect that’s because it wasn’t built from the ground up for VR. Did you try firewall?

IPD need to be adjusted.the auto adjustment for me it never work tho.

TV output differ from game to game. Some mirror. Some have 3rd person view. Some have totally different multiplayer gameplay running in sync

Best feature showcase for TV mode is astrobot free version (forgot the title)

Back