Nvidia Turing Product Reviews and Previews: (Super, TI, 2080, 2070, 2060, 1660, etc)

It's not BS. Workstation sales pay for driver optimizations for professional apps. These optimizations are the main thing you're paying for in markets like CAD/CAM.
Fun fact. Radeon Pro drivers now officially support Non Pro regular Radeon cards since version 18.Q4.1.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-18-q4-1

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 18.Q4.1 Release Notes
Share this page

Article Number
RN-PRO-WIN-18-Q4-1
Last Updated: January 15, 2019

The Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise is designed to deliver market-leading uptime and stability. Rigorous multi-wave testing, and exhaustive ISV certifications help make this “the industry’s most stable driver”1. Radeon™ Pro Software is certified in over 100 workstation applications including Autodesk® AutoCAD®, Dassault Systèmes® CATIA®, Siemens NX™, Adobe® Premiere® Pro, Avid® Media Composer®, Autodesk® Maya®, PTC Creo® and many more

Built to help content creators make the best, every Enterprise Edition is designed to deliver more quality, performance, security, and simplicity. Learn more [HT1] [HT2]

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 18.Q4.1 Highlights
  • Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 18.Q4.1 now provides support for AMD Radeon Products*

"It should be noted that AMD Radeon Graphics Products are not tested for Enterprise Quality."
Which is common sense. Unlike Radeon Pros which are all reference SKUs build buy AMD (and can be easily tested by them and also have additional hardware like ECC memory) while there are 100s of variants of Radeons from 10s of AIBs on top of the re-badged reference boards. Doesn't change the fact that those pro drivers are now fully compatible with all Radeon products at no additional cost.

"It should be noted that AMD Radeon Graphics Products are not tested for Enterprise Quality."

Of course they're not. Otherwise they might as well just be insulting the people who paid for Radeon Pro cards.
Even this move to supporting Pro drivers into normal Radeons is a bit too bold IMO.

Removing compute units would remove features and hurt performance, removing fixed function hardware only hurts performance
Features running so poorly nobody uses them are effectively the same thing as lacking those features altogether.

Features running so poorly nobody uses them are effectively the same thing as lacking those features altogether.
Are you talking about the current state of videogame RT in general?

No, I'm saying programmability without performance also leads to a lack of features.
And if the features can't have decent performance even when using fixed function units, then those fixed units are redundant.

Hence TU116.

Well the Free Market has spoken and declared the current implementation not decent enough.
Is that really the case here? I think you are donating the patient's organs here well before he is dead.

We currently have a single RTX-enabled game. There is not much reason to buy a RTX card right now apart from the modest performance increase. Let's wait at least till the end of the quarter when more RTX-enabled will be available, Metro Exodus being the elephant in the room, of course.

To clarify, I don't think you are necessarily wrong, you may very well be right, but it is to early too tell.

Last edited:
Is that really the case here? I think you are donating the patient's organs here well before he is dead.
It's not decent enough at its current state. I didn't declare RTX dead.
Just that there's a clear message from the consumers saying the RTX line isn't a valuable proposition. It's the same message we saw from most reviewers beforehand, so there isn't much of a surprise here IMO.

Let's wait at least till the end of the quarter when more RTX-enabled will be available, Metro Exodus being the elephant in the room, of course.
Battlefield V was a controversial title, and Metro Exodus is on its way to become one too, especially on the PC where the dev decided to adopt Denuvo and then their publisher (Deep Silver) took Epic's money to make the game exclusive to the Epic store. And then one of the devs deciding to do The Stupid.
Even worse, Deep Silver decided to make the game exclusive to Epic after it had been on pre-sale at Steam for months, prompting a commentary even from Valve. They basically used Steam's storefront to promote the game and then bailed at the last minute.
Things may not go well for Metro Exodus on the PC.
Of course none of this is nvidia's fault, but if Metro tanks like Battlefield did, RT effects on AAA titles aren't going to reach a lot of people.

It's not decent enough at its current state. I didn't declare RTX dead.
Just that there's a clear message from the consumers saying the RTX line isn't a valuable proposition. It's the same message we saw from most reviewers beforehand, so there isn't much of a surprise here IMO.
The market hasn't declared the current implementation not good enough, but that the offering for these cards for them at the moment isn't good enough. RTX in its current form with software that actually uses it, or in notably cheaper cards (lower profit margins) may see consumers voting in favour with their dollars.

Battlefield V was a controversial title, and Metro Exodus is on its way to become one too, especially on the PC where the dev decided to adopt Denuvo and then their publisher (Deep Silver) took Epic's money to make the game exclusive to the Epic store. And then one of the devs deciding to do The Stupid.
Even worse, Deep Silver decided to make the game exclusive to Epic after it had been on pre-sale at Steam for months, prompting a commentary even from Valve. They basically used Steam's storefront to promote the game and then bailed at the last minute.
Things may not go well for Metro Exodus on the PC.
Of course none of this is nvidia's fault, but if Metro tanks like Battlefield did, RT effects on AAA titles aren't going to reach a lot of people.
1) What Shifty said.
2) I'm not convinced that Metro will be held back by Denovu (points to Resident Evil 2 sales). If Metro turns out to be a great game AND RTX-enabled visuals are a level above regular visuals (at adequate performance), I can see people buy RTX cards to play this game. Even so, more game will be needed for Turing to take off. I don't see the Epic Store being such an Issue if the game picks up enough steam (pun intended) and get's hyped all around. If someone is already considering buying a RTX card and Metro is great, they won't be hold back by the Epic Store. Valve fueling the controversy is just pursuing their interests. It shows that Epic has kicked them where it hurts.

Back