Anthem

Summary - it really is a loot grinder. Ergo not for me unless the underlying game mechanics or story frame work is really good. To date, Warframe may be the game in the genre that suits me best beyond initial discovery, but even that faded quickly.

(Opinion: Squad based game+loot grinder is for youth (or people/subcultures) who don’t have any obligations or sense of time being limited. I’m simply too old for that, never mind other obligations/joys in life.)
I’m with Jupiter on this. This is thread derail, but I have 3 daughters, it’s hard to get out of the house. These types of MP titles are where I get most of my social interaction with my friends, due to conflicting schedules, people living far away, etc. All sorts of reasons we can’t get out of the house on a school night, weekends packed with children activities.

These types of games are a means to an end for me, the purpose is to have something to do with your friends while you chat and catch up.

:D
It's great not to feel mainstream, isn't it? ;-)
Eh, don't take what I wrote all that personal - I can't see how on earth loot grinding can be combined with having work obligations, family, and even a smidgen of a life. If you can, well, it simply means you're more awesome than me.
And I'm old enough to feel death breathing down my neck. Chasing pixels on a screen has a harder time these days to justify the portion it takes of my disposable remaining life.

Last edited:
Played the demo for about 6 hours. Didn't notice frame dips as much since I have a 1080Ti and it seemed to perform well however I did need to install the latest drivers before I got the game working, it kept crashing before the game even started with the 399.24 drivers.

City is meh, walked about and eventually talked to a bartender who talked so much I felt my character was actually the bartender. Did some upgrades and stuff and hit the match play and did some small raids etc.

My problem with the game was all the load screens. Some times I would be doing things and all of a sudden a load screen. WTH! Then there were the server crashes(only thing I can call it). Play through then bam, Lost connection to server. It happened so much that it eventually killed it for me and I stopped playing.

Will pass on buying.

So I started my Anthem Trial today since I have Origin Access. Color me impressed, after 2 hours I think they have the groundwork for a nice co-op online game here. Going to play out my 10 hours and seriously consider moving to Premium Access for a year.

So I started my Anthem Trial today since I have Origin Access. Color me impressed, after 2 hours I think they have the groundwork for a nice co-op online game here. Going to play out my 10 hours and seriously consider moving to Premium Access for a year.

Does the story and level design gets better or it will keeps doing "plot device" for "errands missions" with objectives that aren't clear, where you go to point A just to be told to go to B, and then back to A, to look for yet another stuff that's awesomely blended with the environment?

Does the story and level design gets better or it will keeps doing "plot device" for "errands missions" with objectives that aren't clear, where you go to point A just to be told to go to B, and then back to A, to look for yet another stuff that's awesomely blended with the environment?
No idea, I'm 2 hours in :)

Think I'm going to refund the game next week tbh. I'll come back if they overhaul it a lot. The game was fun when it was working, but they should have probably considered a release schedule involving Early Access and all the joys of beta-testing for a "real" launch come the Fall.

As it is, they haven't learned from Andromeda's release, and the shitty reputation at launch effectively killed the game, eventually the studio, and put the series on hiatus when it was months away from putting out a polished experience.

Maybe I have the wrong idea about what it means to be "early access", but it's clear they need to manage expectations in the public for a complex situation where the developer has had to deal with an engine that wasn't designed around the type of games they normally make while certainly recognizing that the parent company does have to meet fiscal targets. As an early access title, the public/press could have been much more forgiving and more conducive towards offering constructive feedback while folks are paying for that erm... privilege, so to speak.

For the bean counters, it'd be along the lines of sales sabotaged by the # of cancelled pre-orders and refunds (+ shit reputation) vs those folks willing to plunk down some cash for "Early Access" with managed expectations (less outrage) if that makes sense. The latter just seems a lot more sustainable for a title that is meant to be longterm as opposed to scaring away folks with this botched launch into either - A) no longer bothering with the title, or B) waiting months anyway for the patched edition, but now at the usual time-lagged discounted price.

What a waste. Good luck to Bioware :V

Last edited:
I expect the game will be an improved experience 3 months after launch. Not sure if it can shake the stink.

Back