Apex Legends (TitanFall Hero Battle Royal) [XO, XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

I'm very very gpu limited with a 1060 6GB. My cpu is almost sitting idle, but in a lot of places I'll be sitting around 80fps with everything set to low or off at 1080. But then I'll look in another direction and I'm 120fps. The fluctuation isn't great, so I just capped it at 90. With gsync it's not so bad.

I'm very very gpu limited with a 1060 6GB. My cpu is almost sitting idle, but in a lot of places I'll be sitting around 80fps with everything set to low or off at 1080. But then I'll look in another direction and I'm 120fps. The fluctuation isn't great, so I just capped it at 90. With gsync it's not so bad.
Yea I was talking to a lot of players and they more or less were in agreement that performance wasn’t where they wanted it to be.

A bit shocking to say the least or perhaps not. X1X can’t hold 60 FPS either, falling from sky is definitely lurching at 30 around.

I'm not even sure if it's the HW's fault really since at the end of the day they're still retrofitting modern features into an old engine framework. It'd be really interesting to see frame graph analyses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of stalling/waiting.

Hard to say how low level they go on console as well...

I'm not even sure if it's the HW's fault really since at the end of the day they're still retrofitting modern features into an old engine framework. It'd be really interesting to see frame graph analyses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of stalling/waiting.

Hard to say how low level they go on console as well...

Yah, I'll probably see if I can get an overlay from msi afterburner with some gpu, cpu stats. My cpu is basically doing nothing, but I want to see if my gpu is actually being utilized anywhere near 100%. I'm trying to push high frame rate on what's becoming a low end card, so it's possible, but I have a feeling it's more of a data access problem. It seems like I can stand in the training area, and basically look at the scene and shift my view about 10 degrees and my fps will start dropping. There are specific directions that have higher impact than others, when visually it doesn't seem like there's much difference to the scene composition. Something with however they're doing scene culling maybe.

well this will be the end of this developer. Maybe MS will buy them and TF3 will be xbox exclusive again.

This game is likely to be a much bigger hit than Titanfall 2 ever was. It had a massive and error-free launch, and word of mouth is going to carry it. They had a million people sign up within 8 hours for a surprise launch game. There were half a million people watching streams on twitch, the most watched game yesterday. It's coming out at a perfect time to be honest. It's not right up against a cod (blackout is bleeding players already) or some other competitive multiplayer game.

I'm curious to see if the game has enough depth to last. Fortnite has a huge skill curve because of the building mechanics. Pubg has a vast array of weapons and sights to master, and the slower movement forces you into tactical play. Blackout is really the shallowest BR game. The weapon model is simple, and it's more about fast twitch than playing tactically. This game has heroes with special abilities, which adds a meta element the other games don't have. But are the abilities really going to have legs in terms of interesting tactical options? Not sure. Content addition is going to make a big difference.

i have been playing fortnite regularly for one year now and i still suck really bad at building. Yet i still enjoy the game with friends, and the season changes really help to keep playing.
Let's hope they add enough content in this game too, and new maps or map changes too.

Gave this a go last night for about 5 min, then deleted it. :V Not my type of game. I wasn't too enthused with having to find a basic weapon while essentially requiring that one learns and knows where to drop into the map in the first place. Basically, the weapon caches we came across - the random teammates just hoarded, so it became a 2-man team with a robot boot sidekick.

This is why I especially hate fortnite.
Shooting mechanics also suck.

PUBG suffers from other issues imo.

The thing is, everyone thought Blackout would kill pubg and fortnite, but it turns out that blackout got boring for a lot of people much faster. Fortnite and pubg have more staying power because they're deep games. Pubg has a lot of technical problems, but what it gets right is still keeping a lot of people coming back to it. We'll see where this one falls. It has more depth than blackout because of the legends and their abilities.

I think this game is going to be huge, probably only behind Fortnite when it comes to BRs. One of the reasons Fortnite is so big is because it's so accessible and it can be a casual experience (but also competitive), so it has become pretty mainstream. Apex is a little more hardcore.

Reasons why I think it will be big is because it's free to play, shooting and mechanics are solid, it had a really clean launch, streamers seem to love it, it doesn't aim for realism so things can be added to keep it fresh (kind of like Fortnite) and it's made by a solid studio.

I think this game is going to be huge, probably only behind Fortnite when it comes to BRs. One of the reasons Fortnite is so big is because it's so accessible and it can be a casual experience (but also competitive), so it has become pretty mainstream. Apex is a little more hardcore.

Reasons why I think it will be big is because it's free to play, shooting and mechanics are solid, it had a really clean launch, streamers seem to love it, it doesn't aim for realism so things can be added to keep it fresh (kind of like Fortnite) and it's made by a solid studio.

Pretty much every big name on Twitch is playing it, and that goes a long way for word of mouth.

So I got a nice overlay going with afterburner. Frame times are ultra consistent when you're running with a cap (config file). I have mine set to 90fps and I'm around 95-98% gpu usage usually and frametime graph is just flat. No hitches or stutters. CPU on is like 16% on 5 of my 8 cores, and basically 0-3% on the rest, lol.

The thing is, everyone thought Blackout would kill pubg and fortnite, but it turns out that blackout got boring for a lot of people much faster. Fortnite and pubg have more staying power because they're deep games. Pubg has a lot of technical problems, but what it gets right is still keeping a lot of people coming back to it. We'll see where this one falls. It has more depth than blackout because of the legends and their abilities.

I've "quit" PUBG a few times, and I still go back to it every now and then. There is alot of depth to the weapon usage in particular, which lends to the realism factor.

Pretty much every big name on Twitch is playing it, and that goes a long way for word of mouth.
Yeah and they genuinely seem to be liking it. If they support it anywhere near the level that Epic does with Fortnite, I think it will continue to grow into one of the most popular BRs. It's huge on twitch and I think it will have good retention. The exposure from twitch and word of mouth alone will make this a huge hit.

I think a big reason why Fortnite has stayed relevant so long is because of the frequent updates/additions and changes, and they can do this because it's cartoony and fun. Respawn can do the same with Apex. It's like mix of Blackout and Overwatch.

Last edited:
This game is likely to be a much bigger hit than Titanfall 2 ever was. It had a massive and error-free launch, and word of mouth is going to carry it. They had a million people sign up within 8 hours for a surprise launch game. There were half a million people watching streams on twitch, the most watched game yesterday. It's coming out at a perfect time to be honest. It's not right up against a cod (blackout is bleeding players already) or some other competitive multiplayer game.
Perhaps however I feel its to much of a overwatch meets fortnite. They needed something different and I think the wall jumping would have been great

They hit 2.5 million players in a day. Probably more now. Growing fast.

It's going to be massive if they have a lot of content updates in a timely fashion. The core gameplay is fantastic, best f2p I've played when it comes to polish and gameplay.

It's all about player retention now and that will depend on the content they release.

Back