Resident Evil 2 Remake [XO, PS4, PC]

Yes. They went for a AAA game of the caliber of U4, Dad of War, Gears, etc... with all the high-end render features and asset quality one would expect, but still didn't shy away from at least shooting for 60hz. Great! I hope Capcom maintains that mindset as next gen comes, and more studios follow. That's what U4 was meant to be, but ND didn't have the balls.
Except for the lighting, which sucks in comparison to ND's games. For a survival horror 30fps with better graphics would have been better.

Yes. They went for a AAA game of the caliber of U4, Dad of War, Gears, etc... with all the high-end render features and asset quality one would expect, but still didn't shy away from at least shooting for 60hz. Great! I hope Capcom maintains that mindset as next gen comes, and more studios follow. That's what U4 was meant to be, but ND didn't have the balls.

Compared to Uncharted, RE is a far more linear game with much more simplistic action scenes. It's not comparable... there is no game running at 60fps this gen trying to do what ND do in their games.

Does the T virus greatly enhance the bullet resistance of the human skull? ;) Man those zombies are durable. Every now and then you get a zombie that pops though.

Last edited:
It is still a great achievement for a 60fps-ish game. It looks spectacular considering that. What other games run at that framerate on PS4 with that detail?. Yet it can help but wonder, what if they went for 30fps and used the released performance to enhance the visuals into something grittier and with more enhanced lighting aiming to reach games like TLOU2, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War etc?

It's 60 fps on PS4? That's cool. I definitely appreciate that being the target. I bought it for PC and am running it at 4K HDR on a 1080Ti, tuned to keep around 60. It can run almost everything on ultra. I found volumetric lighting to be the most demanding setting, and HBAO+ SSAO is of course pretty demanding. It will also use up to 14GB VRAM on max textures so I turned that down to a ~11GB setting to minimize PCIe transfers.

I don't like 30fps on my 65" OLED TV. It's hard on the eyes, perhaps because of the OLED's lack of blurring. Similar to how 24p film panning can be like a strobe sometimes.

I've been toying around with 120 fps 1080p lately on that TV. That is so incredibly smooth. It's exciting to play that way, but of course 1080p upscaling isn't exactly razor sharp, nor good for issues like aliasing.

Last edited:
It's 60 fps on PS4? That's cool. I definitely appreciate that being the target. I bought it for PC and am running it at 4K HDR on a 1080Ti, tuned to keep around 60. It can run almost everything on ultra. I found volumetric lighting to be the most demanding setting, and HBAO+ SSAO is of course pretty demanding. It will also use up to 14GB VRAM on max textures so I turned that down to a ~11GB setting to minimize PCIe transfers.

I don't like 30fps on my 65" OLED TV. It's hard on the eyes, perhaps because of the OLED's lack of blurring. Similar to how 24p film panning can be like a strobe sometimes.

I've been toying around with 120 fps 1080p lately on that TV. That is so incredibly smooth. It's exciting to play that way, but of course 1080p upscaling isn't exactly razor sharp, nor good for issues like aliasing.
14GB? Thats an insane number. What is this game doing really in the background to take up so much?

14GB? Thats an insane number. What is this game doing really in the background to take up so much?
It's almost entirely related to the texture setting. I'm guessing it's caching more on the card, or using more high quality textures on distant objects. There are several "high quality" texture modes, each with a different memory allotment. Then there is also medium and low quality as well. The differences between the "high" options are quite hard to see.

Game looks really god bad (at least on basic ps4) there are visible lightning glitches (for example on floor in police station hall but not only).

The ugliest thing I've seen was a big one-way police window/mirror. The image on the mirror was super downsampled. It was still hitting the frame rate though. But I always like to see working mirrors.

giphy.gif

Finished Leon's A campaign this weekend. What a fantastic game. Immediately started Claire's B scenario and was hella surprised how differently everything played out. Didn't expect having Mr X on my ass within the first 20 minutes.

Bring on the RE3: Nemesis remake. Seriously, imagine Mr.X, but with loads of speed, tentacles and a rocket launcher:oops:

Last edited:
I bought the game on PC a few minutes ago and I'm downloading it. I'm super happy! because it was the last year's game along with Wolfenstein Youngblood that I wanted to play the most. I had the original RE1 on PC - and the remakes, the GC ones- and I watched my best childhood friend play it as a kid in his house, 'cos he had a PS1 of those, and I was wanting to experience the fun of playing it on my own sometime. Now... I can.

Also, I fell in love with Claire's new design as well, so..... I'll share some impressions. What I can't compare is with the original, and the truth be told, it doesn't matter, it's still a timeless classic either the original or this remake.

Back