Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Manually placing coloured cubes in grid mode, I suppose

Yes, using a grid (and or snap perhaps) that would be the easiest way. You can also make actual flat sprites though.

That pool table is incredible. The physics seem really good.

EDIT:
This is really great, the creator of the snooker table game in Dreams shown above is going into Edit mode and explains some of the stuff he’s done.

Last edited:
I have been playing around with creating some music, and starting to get the hang of it now. It is pretty amazing really, there are some awesome tools here too. Managed to create a really nice ambient loop (at least I like it). Will post some of my messing about to create it here later (it seems to be still uploading). Also watched a tutorial on how to fix stuff onto the animated puppet and such. For some stuff the two move controllers are really awesome, but the DS4 is very useable for everything too.

Here it is, skip minute 2-4 or so where I’m trying to figure out how to get it to loop properly.

Last edited:
You made me to recall how I have left my Amiga 600 to render a jumping ball in Real3D during night on to a floppy :love:
Only to find that xloppy didn't have enough space and had to rerender next night..
Really amazing renderer and one that teached me about speed of light in different materials and IoR.

I played around with some physics and animations I found, among others an animated hand, looked really good, and a desk you could interact with really realistically, grabbing and sliding/swinging stuff open and closed. I then remixed it and when it was at an angle, the drawers and doors slid open convincingly according to gravity. I also played a bowling game and something where you could hit a cube with a guitar. It seems you will be able to create pretty good job simulator style games with this at the very least ;)

It seems you will be able to create pretty good job simulator style games with this at the very least ;)

Oh, I know those. when you wake up, feel tired as fuck, eat breakfast, get ready, go to work, all feeling like shit, and then wake up to discover that was a dream and you will have to do it all again for real. Those are the worst possible dreams! So cool that now we'll be able to do it when playing videogames as well! I have to get a PS4 now for real.

But but the real Job Simulator fantasy is that robots took all our jobs and we go to museums to experience ironic versions of what it was like to work back in the day, as just one of the many things we can choose to waste our irrelevant time on earth with ... ;)

Last edited:
Uploaded my first actual 'game' (early prototype). It's a party game with 2 players that can shoot and kill each other by throwing projectiles. There is also some kind of house that can be destroyed-ish in the scene, just to have fun with the physics.

But seriously the sky the limit with this tool. There are so many possibilities of gameplay. I stopped playing all my others games and play this instead. Too bad the beta is ending...

Any important info about the thermometer? Have you felt any limitations at all?
Well there is one aspect that is expensive, it's the number of object you can label as movable: because the physic involved is quite demanding for the hardware. Any object set as movable can interact with any other objects (movable or not) and players in the scene. But that aspect is not actually counted in any of the 3 thermos. It's a warning you get on top of it that it could slow down the game performance.

For the rest I was not interested into the graphical aspect but more the gameplay and what I could do with it. Well, we can do plenty of stuff already, and I haven't used much of the tools at my disposal. By cloning and resizing stuff (you can clone anything, sculpture, animations, logic..) I never had any problem with the thermometer in my project.

I just updated it (my dream is called Echo master). I added 3 dynamic cameras to adjust the view depending of the position of the players and completely enclosed the scene to prevent being stuck. I also strategically placed (I hope so) objects including exploding-ish cubes in the scenery to make it more interesting for the players.

I guess because digital only and no VR support in early access. Based of what I have seen, VR support will be very, very hard. How are they going to make sure the scene will run at a stable 60fps ?

Based of my experience, stable 60fps is possible in Dreams, but it's going to seriously restrict the graphics in most cases. Most of those most streamed dreams with big vistas or highly detailed stuff certainly arn't stable 60fps (even using the higher framerate mode on Pro, I can't imagine how those run on base PS4).

I hope they'll improve their engine in order to improve the framerate for all dreams. They could also make a specific very high framerate VR mode by lowering the resolution.

In the beta there was 2 modes: higher resolution or higher framerate, both modes targeting 60fps. But there was not much difference in resolution between both modes (on a 1080p screen anyways), but performance was noticeably improved in the higher framerate mode for all dreams. I think they could again lower the resolution for a specific VR mode.

Last edited:
Curious to see what they feel isn't ready for prime time.

They are pretty clear on this. The single player campaign, basically. As all that is created using the same tools, it makes sense that the tools are done first.

But in addition, the smart thing about releasing in this order is that it takes people time to create cool things. So by the time the game launches its mainstream campaign, there will be a lot of great user created content, tutorials and remixable stuff available to all.

And they can suss out some of the trickier details with user created content before the game launches and even make some money.

I’ll certainly jump in as soon as the early access arrives.

Back