Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

Very inconsistent quality.

City area is pretty poor (nothing to hide the simplicity). The mining/kryptonite area looked alright, I guess.

Shadows are expensive in UE4. :p

That looks better though. The scale of buildings looks enormous at times.

Somebody got their chocolate in my peanut butter. Can we get the non-Crackdown bits out?

The game looks great to me. Evidently none of you played the previous game. It was never about the graphics. It's an open world superhero comic book game that can be played cooperatively. Its over-the-top bombastic fun. It's fun over looks. I know one thing I'm not looking at & that's the shadows. Give me lots of orb hunting, platforming & using insane weapons to blow crap up. Yeah I think it will fit the bill nicely.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
I only played Crackdown 1 single player.
It was a lot of fun. I was hoping for a clone of that game with a larger city and more gangs.
The character building parts of Crackdown 3 are more elaborate, but probably not a detriment to the experience.

However, I'm sick to death of "damage volcanoes". I might skip this one solely because of that.

Anybody get into the Wrecking Zone test? I will only say I got into it last night. Can't remember what I'm allowed to say if anything. Oops. LoL There's another test on Sunday. If you can't get into it then, it officially releases on the 14th.

Tommy McClain

Anybody get into the Wrecking Zone test? I will only say I got into it last night. Can't remember what I'm allowed to say if anything. Oops. LoL There's another test on Sunday. If you can't get into it then, it officially releases on the 14th.

Tommy McClain
AFAIK there are no restrictions. You can freely talk about it. There are already tons of game play videos of last night's session on YouTube /Twitch.

Gotcha. In that case, let me start by saying I'm not really a deathmatch player (team or otherwise). It is straight up team deathmatch game mode & there's really no perks for playing that I can see. Granted I went in playing with no clue about game mode other than cloud-powered destruction. Did it deliver it on that? I think so, but it looks different from the initial 2015 reveal & different enough from the current campaign mode. And I think that will be a tough sell to the people who play Fortnite & Apex or whatever is the latest multiplayer darling. This is more of a retro styled game mode. It's quick pick up & play mindless carnage fun. If you're looking for RPG type leveling or loot/rewards go elsewhere. I will probably only play it with my B3D buds in between Sea of Thieves. Most likely I will play Crackdown 3 campaign 80% of the time. Hopefully it will grow with time like SoT, but no withstanding, I think the cloud physics works with a small bit of cut backs. I just hope they find better game modes with a bit more meat. I will have more to say Sunday. With more time I might change my view.

Tommy McClain

I picked up $2 GP for 2 months today, so I guess I'll be up for co-op. I guess I should have stretched out the deal expiry date, although I can't see any reason a few more days would matter to me come April. :p

I love Cracdkdown 1 and had Crackdown 3 on pre-order for years before canceling. Now with what's left of my cheap Gamepass period I'll try Crackdown 3, but the reviews thus far are worse than I thought. Two 5/10 from the big sites.

At least the MP is separate from the SP so you can choose what to install.

I love Cracdkdown 1 and had Crackdown 3 on pre-order for years before canceling. Now with what's left of my cheap Gamepass period I'll try Crackdown 3, but the reviews thus far are worse than I thought. Two 5/10 from the big sites.
It's possibly a polarising formula. Those who loved the original may well love this game.

I got bored of the original very quickly tbh. The only thing that kept me playing was the Agency Director's over the top voice acting.

Unreal Engine 4 + Open World, and then everything related to the nature of the MP.

Not to poop on the folks at Sumo, but I can't help but wonder if MS shouldn't have gone with Volition to pull off the SP (if that would have been possible to setup). Hindsight - a studio that has their own open world engine and a history of city environments and wacky ass humour. Then again, Volition's not been quite the same since the end of SRIV, IIRC. Bleh, oh well.

Last edited:
Unreal Engine 4 + Open World, and then everything related to the nature of the MP.

Not to poop on the folks at Sumo, but I can't help but wonder if MS shouldn't have gone with Volition to pull off the SP (if that would have been possible to setup). Hindsight - a studio that has their own open world engine and a history of city environments and wacky ass humour. Then again, Volition's not been quite the same since the end of SRIV, IIRC. Bleh, oh well.
Thankfully 343i are building their own engine for Halo 6..but all other MS studios (Rare, Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Coalition etc) are now all using UE4 (even Playground for the new Fable game..even though their version of ForzaTech for Horizon is one of the most impressive open wolrd engine around..)..meh

I'm sure MS isn't the most happy camper discovering the built-in limitations of the engine while Epic is too busy to bother doing things smarter. Smaller studio titles like State of Decay, We Happy Few, and PUBG should be a rather clear indicator for folks that it would require a much more concerted development schedule to even attempt to address the issues (even then Brie of Cheese is still a technical mess in a number of respects).

Even looking at Vs. Fighters, it's really about having the tools to put together the game rather than being particularly efficient with the renderer (or loading etc).

I digress. :V

Back