Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

I can/hope to see this on pc too...
No. It's a platform exclusive to drive sales of the hardware. If someone wants to play Dreams, they have to buy a PS4.
maybe Sony has planned that with their application they had with notions of RT.
What notions of RT?

The bigger the community the better it is for software like this to create games.
To a degree. You need a certain size to be viable. However, as LBP shows, an epic community can flood creations with dross making it hard to find the good stuff. Dreams should be able to create and sustain a healthy, active community within the confines of the PS4 userbase.

Can people get in trouble for creating something like 'Half Life' and share it?
Homages will probably go uncontested. Games that get too close to the originals and duplicate trademarks would be open to copyright infringement cases if the copyright holder felt it was necessary. eg. A Mario World clone might see Nintendo seek to get it pulled if it was a close enough approximation that Nintendo felt PS4 owners would be happy to not buy a Nintendo product and play the Dreams version instead. There were plenty of Marios in LBP but they didn't play the same thanks to the floaty physics so Nintendo probably viewed them as free advertising.

Yeah, it reminds me of little big planet on the PS3 i played long time ago. Dreams seems much more advanced though. I can/hope to see this on pc too, maybe Sony has planned that with their application they had with notions of RT. The bigger the community the better it is for software like this to create games.

Can people get in trouble for creating something like 'Half Life' and share it?

What about a Demoscene on Playstation Store?? Uploading Dreams Projects Games , 3d Movis, Gfx Demos and share it with other People?

No. It's a platform exclusive to drive sales of the hardware. If someone wants to play Dreams, they have to buy a PS4.

Ah ok, software like this should reach a big audience as possible, can only imagine how much one can do with a pc with such software. Maybe someday other platforms also get something like this.

Homages will probably go uncontested. Games that get too close to the originals and duplicate trademarks would be open to copyright infringement cases if the copyright holder felt it was necessary. eg. A Mario World clone might see Nintendo seek to get it pulled if it was a close enough approximation that Nintendo felt PS4 owners would be happy to not buy a Nintendo product and play the Dreams version instead. There were plenty of Marios in LBP but they didn't play the same thanks to the floaty physics so Nintendo probably viewed them as free advertising.

Ok, saw a screenshot of something done in Dreams that resembled HL2 to the detail.

I tried using the move controllers and that really works great for making objects and such! But it is also clear that they have been optimized for VR as the menus move along in 3D space in a way that isn’t the most logical for playing on a 2D tv. Also when I turn on the VR helmet the display stays back instead of showing a large 2D screen so it’s clearly supported already but turned off for this beta.

Also did the tinting tutorial, very nice! Once you learn how the tools work it becomes pretty amazing how powerful and extensive they are.

Ah ok, software like this should reach a big audience as possible, can only imagine how much one can do with a pc with such software.
We don't even know what PS4's limits are, so one shouldn't really be looking for an even better experience on PC.
Maybe someday other platforms also get something like this.
Chances are low. After LBP, several attempts were made at similar creative game-things across platforms but none really got anywhere. If something like this comes to PC, I guess it'll be as a slow-growing experiment, just working with SDF and the art style, and taking years to develop, same as Dreams. I can't see any companies going this route. Professional apps may have a go at aping Dreams interface ideas if they are that much faster and more intuitive.

Having said that, the best SDS modelling interface ever was on Realsoft3D some 18+ years ago and none of the established pro tools updated their workflow to match. Given these tools already have established workflows, there's a low chance of them making any dramatic changes. So you'd really be looking for a new player to get involved, or a new product if you get really lucky and Autodesk etc. see Dreams and feel they need to offer similar.

For now, one really should be excited at the software and what people do with it, regardless of the platform. ;)

I was thinking of something like that after I did the Blend Shapes tutorial. That is really a beautiful little tool that allows you to create wonderfully organic shapes. And then with the animation being able to record any edit you make ... when you have done all the tutorials and then watch some of the videos above you can really see very quickly how everything can be made using the tools. Man, I will miss not being able to play around with this when the beta is done!

Between the shape-blending, sculpting and being able to make anything a light-source there is so much possible. I can only imagine what it would be like for someone with true skills to be able to use this. It was certainly well worth the wait, this is mind-blowing. And I can really see why you would want to be able to 3D print stuff you’ve made in this ...

I really liked the platformer above, and also the thing in one of the other tweets where there are animated drawings / textures on the wall, I was wondering about that too.

Last edited:
By the way in this stream
Alex mentions they are using two different engines, going back to the bricks engine for hard edge stuff and the bubble bath engine for the soft stuff.

By the way in this stream
Alex mentions they are using two different engines, going back to the bricks engine for hard edge stuff and the bubble bath engine for the soft stuff.

Yes I have seeing on a tweet they rasterizing cubes and point rendering for other stuffs. They used the same things than in the @sebbbi presentation for the rasterization part. They aren't 100% compute now.

Edit:

Last edited:
Ok, I've been really busy and not had chance to contribute as much as I could...I'm mindful the beta ends Monday and will try to get some things I've seen (that's not been mentioned) listed.

In particular a level called 'A little place in outer space' is a really cool mini game. Everyone should give it a try, you are on a small planet (think Mario Galaxy size) picking up 'orbs' - once you get a set amount (can't recall how many) you unlock certain extra 'skills'. The first is a jet pack which allows quicker and easier navigation...the game really opens up then - you can even fly into space! If you have tried it but not got to the jet pack I suggest you give it another try. Unfortunately I can't find any videos of it.

@Shifty Geezer I will try find the destruction level, but I'm fairly certain pretty much anything you want to do can be achieved.

Also, WRT homages - someone made a pretty good Super Mario Bros level. Not perfect, but pretty good all the same.

I will try find the destruction level, but I'm fairly certain pretty much anything you want to do can be achieved.

Also, WRT homages - someone made a pretty good Super Mario Bros level. Not perfect, but pretty good all the same.
Yep. I just found and tested the force emettor that allows you to either repel or attract any object you want in the vicinity of the emettor. Much better than coding it all by hand. There are so many others tools available I barely scratched the surface and sadly I don't have enough free time currently.

Back