New Nintendo Switch hardware versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Switch revision may be more necessary than nice to have thing.
What's the thing preventing people buying that a revision could address? I assume price - it needs to be cheaper to sell more, rather than have a better screen or more power. But considering sales are up on last year, is it even fair to say NSW sales have stalled?

The good thing for Nintendo is that many people will buy a second Switch whatever new version they release.

They need to release a new cheaper version to counter the sales drop like they did with the 3DS (Switch and 3DS sell at the same pace despite Switch being more expensive but also well received and replacing 3 consoles: 3DS, Wii U and PS Vita)

Their best option will be to release a Switch TV that they can sell for peanuts (200-250$) and maybe even have more power to guarantee a full 1080p experience.

Nothing about dropping or stalling sales. Only that they wonder whether they can hit the 20 million sales/year. There is a difference.

Anyway there isn't much that can be improved at this point. A tv only model doesn't make much sense either as handheld mode is apparently used quite frequently by a large amount of users and of course it's one of the system's usp's.

I'm certainly using it a lot more than I initially expected. Even at home I play in handheld mode quite a lot.

Some big new games (personally I don't care for smash) is something that would probably help sales more. There isn't much in terms of Switch only AAA games yet.

Were they projecting an even larger sales increase and fell flat of that prediction?
Not hitting forecasts isn't the same as sales shrinking. I don't think they're hitting their forecast (something about 20 million), but the market is growing, both in total install base and sales rate, even if it's not growing as much as Nintendo would like.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...s-running-into-a-predictable-nintendo-problem

What pretty much everyone predicted.

Big AAA 3rd-party blockbusters are coming out and they're not touching the switch with a 10-feet pole.
The Switch is now dependent on 1st party titles and Nintendo obviously can't release titles fast enough to appease the userbase single-handedly.

It now looks like the Switch will be a mild success with 25-30 million consoles sold, after bringing the price down to $200.
I don't think Smash Bros is going to sell a lot more units. It certainly didn't do any miracle for the Wii U.

I highly doubt the price is dropping to 200 USD anytime soon and it's likely to easily surpass the 30 million mark over the holiday season at its current price. At best we might see it drop to 249 when its replacement comes out. Sales for it haven't slowed down enough to warrant a price drop.

Regards,
SB

I'm glad Switch at least has a TV out native.

I've tried my niece's switch and had 4 different apple devices to compare plus two of my androids.

The screen is washed out and the blacks are very grey.

It's probably the lottery BS again but probably not as bad as what I had with the VITA where I had to return 4 times because of OLED Mura, faint vertical lines and heavy tint.

I really hate this LCD BS lottery as I've also experienced it with the 2013 Nexus 7 where my first had an amazingly bright, white screen with a different gamma curve where all colors pop and has that nice white color, next two had green tints, worse colors.

AFAIK even Apple has this issue.

Don't like OLEDs as I probably have an issue perceiving its color. It's very hard tint of blue-green no matter how I fiddle with rgb apps in android and really messes up the color plus the colorshift is trash most obvious on white pages and larger displays, worse in bigger screen even compared to other lcds.

I wish I was never this nitpicky with displays.

I highly doubt the price is dropping to 200 USD anytime soon and it's likely to easily surpass the 30 million mark over the holiday season at its current price.
The Switch sold 20 Million between Q2 2017 and Q3 2018 (15 months), but you think it's going to sell another 10 Million within the next 2 months?
And without a price decrease?

You should brace yourself for major disappointment..
I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't even have 5 Million consoles available to sell in 2 months.

We have a Switch sales thread. Can't we keep the Switch is d00med because of the sp3cs talk there and leave this for talk related to new revisions?

The Switch sold 20 Million between Q2 2017 and Q3 2018 (15 months), but you think it's going to sell another 10 Million within the next 2 months?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't even have 5 Million consoles available to sell in 2 months.

You mean another 7.2 million? Their last earnings report had them at 22.8 million sold. I expect somewhere between 8-10 million sold during the holiday season, especially as Super Smash Bros. comes out for that period.

Regards,
SB

Nintendo's hardware sales blow up during Christmas, this wont be anything new. With Smash Bros Ultimate and Pokemon Lets Go releasing, yes, it is possible for Nintendo to move that many units. Even though we wont see a price drop, we are starting to see new bundles like the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle for $299. I would be shocked if Nintendo didn't move at least 7 million unit in the 3rd quarter, and 10 million isn't completely out of the cards. It will primarily depend on just how much demand there is from the Pokemon fans for Pokemon Lets Go.

surprise :V

edit:

Changing the size of the chassis and screen has implications to the UI and controller design. I don't think that's economically in line with cost reductions and compatibility. It'd just be far simpler to roll with a new fab node, and maybe even just suck up the cost of doing a 7nm complete revision of the chip to make it much smaller, taking advantage of both density and the fact that they don't need a bunch of other blocks on-die e.g. the unused A53s.

12nm would be relatively straight-forward too along with newer LPDDR4 bins (lower voltage).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back