The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

Trying to corner the market and paying to have things unavailable on other storefronts certainly isn't competition...at least not the good kind of competition.

That's using your financial muscle to try to corner the market.

How much did Epic pay Ubi Soft to keep Ubi's game out of other PC games shops?

I will interpret the silence here that there is no base to claim that Epic paid Ubi anything to have their games on the Epic shop. Please do not make statements you can't back up again.

I will interpret the silence here that there is no base to claim that Epic paid Ubi anything to have their games on the Epic shop. Please do not make statements you can't back up again.
I wouldn't consider the deal to be anything but a monetary agreement. How could it be anything otherwise? Ubisoft giving Epic exclusive because the CEOs are good mates or something?

I wouldn't consider the deal to be anything but a monetary agreement. How could it be anything otherwise? Ubisoft giving Epic exclusive because the CEOs are good mates or something?

Maybe Ubi want to support a broader range of Windows game stores? Ubi could sell it on Steam but it would have to be 26% more expensive if they want to get the same money from every sale.

Maybe Ubi want to support a broader range of Windows game stores? Ubi could sell it on Steam but it would have to be 26% more expensive if they want to get the same money from every sale.
But they have their own store. 10% < ~30%, but 0% < 10%. If you’re going to irritate your user base by forcing them onto another platform, why not make it your own and use the 10% to market it?

I don’t see anything wrong with Epic paying for exclusivity. If Ubi isn’t getting anything special, then what’s the attraction? Does Epic have better American or worldwide server infrastructure?

I wonder if physical copies will be Ubi or Epic keys?

Doesn't it just launch Ubicrap's own launcher anyway? At least that's how it works on the only game I have from them on Steam. Bought it on Steam but if I want to play it, it will launch Ubi's own UnotPlay launcher and launches the game from there.

I also think something like SteamOS is necessary for the future of PC gaming and maybe down the line Epic will agree with me, but that might be too late.

Proper PC gaming is long gone, to the cheer of acolytes across the world. Now it's used as vehicle to subsidy the bill for console hardware R&D, and to receive the crumbs from the software table for that fat long tail.

But they have their own store. 10% < ~30%, but 0% < 10%. If you’re going to irritate your user base by forcing them onto another platform, why not make it your own and use the 10% to market it?

Exposure. There are probably a lot more people using Epic's store than Ubi's.

I think it's terrible for these publishers to exclusively partner with Epic, completely unproven platform and forcing the decision for gamers is bad for the consumer but I can completely understand why now. Valve have done this to themselves. They're cash rich from decades of dominance and I can see them simply riding their gravy train for as long as possible.

More interesting is that they’ll charge $50 for the game rather than the $60 preorder price on Steam.

Seems like they get the best of both worlds: Steam’s community support because of whoever preordered, and Epic’s financial incentives for what I imagine will be the majority of sales (after launch, vs pre orders).

I remember when pc players said that Steam, DRM etc. are destroying the freedom of the PC platform and now Steam suddenly is the good guy when I check forum reactions.

Last edited:
I remember when pc players said that Steam, DRM etc. are destroying the freedom of the PC platform and now Steam suddenly is the good guy when I check forum rections.
I don't really remember much of that but I'm sure it existed. IMO most reactions to Steam over many years was that it really helped PC gaming grow, making the PC gaming experience so much easier akin to consoles. And Steam isn't the "good guy", in fact Valve aren't exactly the most ethical company out there in the PC gaming space. It's the exclusivity here that is the problem, not that games are appearing on new platforms. For those who wish to remain on Steam only, they won't be able to play, just like Origin.

It's a one year timed exclusive, apparently. It makes sense in the same way that Denuvo theoretically maximizes profit per copy at launch (at the expense of a small user hurdle, be it lower performance or a different storefront + launcher). Avoiding bad reviews because of launch bugs might be nice, too (though in this case there'll probably still be a Steam store page because of the preorders and future DLC, so review bombing is still a potential problem).

year exclusive but I wont be purchasing it till its $15 on steam /windows store / origin . Those are the three stores I have installed and the only 3

Ugh, so looks like I won't be playing Metro: Exodus after all. And before people whine that this is pro-Steam, it's also not going to be available on GoG which is even crappier. If I weren't already invested in the Steam platform (greater variety of indie games and my library is there), I'd likely be going with GoG at this point. But after all this exclusivity bullshit, Epic is one storefront I'll never use.

At first I was going to blame 4A Games for this debacle. But it turns out 4A games didn't want to do this exclusivity thing because they know it'll only help to destroy PC gaming.

So, then I was going to rage at Deepsilver, the publishers of Metro: Exodus. Only it turns out that Deepsilver didn't want to do this either because they also know how much bullshit this is for the PC gaming industry.

Then I was like, OK, time to blame THQ. But THQ GmbH were VERY quick to deny all involvement and distance themselves from this absolutely crap decision.

Following the announcement that Metro Exodus would be skipping Steam, THQ Nordic GmbH took to Twitter to explain it had no involvement in the decision. "The decision to publish Metro Exodus as a timed Epic Store exclusive was made entirely on Koch Media's side as Metro is their intellectual property. They are a sister company of THQ Nordic (Vienna), which is the reason why we can and will not comment on this matter," the company wrote.

So why is all this being done? Because of greed by Koch Media who owns the Metro IP and obviously the EPIC scumsuckers as well.

So, then THQ Nordic had to backtrack as their parent company THQ Nordic AB had to come out with a PR statement in support of Koch Media (can't have the IP holder of one of your most successful franchises mad at you after all!!!).

After which THQ Nordic GmBH had to backtrack on their statements.

What a fucking shitshow.

At this point, I'm considering pirating the game and then mailing a check for 60 USD directly to 4A Games.

I'm interested to see how many of the people that are being vocal on the internet right now about boycotting games and publishers that sign exclusivity deals with Epic actually follow through.

TL: DR - games available on all storefronts is great for consumers. Games purchased for exclusivity to X storefront is bad for consumers.

Regards,
SB

Jeez, guys, quit the whining! I'm so reminded of 1998 when Steam came out. If I had a dollar for every guy who swore that he will never install Steam back then, I'll be sipping cocktails in the sun until the ripe age of 120.

I can totally understand Epic and Koch Media on this. Valve is asking 30% of their revenue. I mean really, 30%? That's ridiculous. They are the ones that are greedy! And it hurts us gamers because we pay inflated prices in the end. (I know that Value recently lowered it's share to 25% or 20% if you make a lot of revenue, still too much!)

All of you that side with Valve have to realize you are supporting a monopoly here. Valve will not lower its fees for publishers and devs until another store has gained enough traction to make them feel the pain. And currently exclusives are the only way for any shop to expand their audience.

And it not like installing the Epic launcher is a big thing. It takes you 10 minutes. I did it when I bought Ashen. I already have Steam, GoG, Uplay and Origin installed. Big deal.

I know that the Epic launcher doesn't have all the features that Steam has but I'm convinced it will evolve.

TL DR - If you want to support Devs you don't side with Value and you don't pirate games for what reason ever.

Back