Car game comparisons *hit & run*

To sum up:

Driveclub has:
better track détails overall, more objects, lot more foliage, spectators, buildings density and detail, bigger landscapes
volumetric clouds
Wind that blows in foliage, flags, smoke.
dynamic TOD and weather
better shadows
better reflections

GTS has
better and more diverse texture quality detail, photogrammetry assets
better IQ
better "real TV" effect during replays as well as gameplay
60FPS
better motion blur quality
better and higher poly car models/interiors
better PBR materials and shaders
better direct lighting
better skyscrapers

Left out quite a bit of stuff for GT that makes it look noticeably superior and more realistic imo, so I added them in.

GTS gameplay
EQQjceh.gif

Good to see Gran Turismo has graduated its tree tech from three-polygons-is-enough-for-a-tree to looks-like-a-sponge-painted-green-on-a-stick.

Bravo!

GTS cars are more detailed during scapes/menus

LOD is better handled in DC during replay/gameplay i think, but it has less cars (12 VS 20) and 30fps though. (though replay/PM are also 30fps in GTS)

i tried to show the same things, but GTS photomode controls are a real pain.
Poly budget is handled differently, part in DC are more detailed (wheels for example) whereas body work look to have more polys in GTS (wheel arches for example, door handle etc...)
which one has more polygons overall is too hard to tell. Then SSR in DC make the whole car look better grounded to the environement to me.
And AI cars have a shitty interior in GTS. That's why i said DC Lod management is better.

Lod is very very aggressive in GTS.
Objectively GTS is an impressive achievement in various aspects. Regardless the franchise it is no longer the pinnacle. It has inconsistencies and the "tricks" and compromises to free performance for 60fps are very obvious.
DriveClub has less obvious compromises and it pushes harder the envelop even for a 30fps game. It packs more attention to detail and technical achievements than "necessary". It is still one of the most impressive if not the most impressive racing game on the PS4
In comparison Gran Turismo Sport when compared to other 60fps racing games it has its pros and cons. Some of these cons stick like a sore thump. In the old days Gran Turismo represented the pinnacle of visual achievement compared to every racing game released on the platform. Whether it was 30fps or 60fps. Now even Forza on XBOX One shows some superiority in areas even though it is less powerful

My major gripe about the GT and Forza series (hell, most racing games), is how the vehicles have that nasty looking floating effect when viewed from the rear. Like the tires and pavement aren’t truly connecting. In cinematic replays it looks good and more natural. In real-time not so much. I don’t know if it’s the lack of proper physics / handling from the rear perspective or improper angle(s) and motion blur giving that odd float effect. See videos below...

My major gripe about the GT and Forza series (hell, most racing games), is how the vehicles have that nasty looking floating effect when viewed from the rear. Like the tires and pavement aren’t truly connecting. In cinematic replays it looks good and more natural. In real-time not so much. I don’t know if it’s the lack of proper physics / handling from the rear perspective or improper angle(s) and motion blur giving that odd float effect. See videos below...
I think an important factor is that in gameplay we mostly see the car from a high position behind the car, so we don't see the tires, whereas in replays we mostly see the car from one side or angle where the tires are visible.

I think an important factor is that in gameplay we mostly see the car from a high position behind the car, so we don't see the tires, whereas in replays we mostly see the car from one side or angle where the tires are visible.

I wish we had full control over camera angles/positions during racing, not just photo-mode. Because the rear position destroys some of the immersion for me, especially racing games going for more of a simulation experience, rather than a typical arcade racer.

can we talk about breaking immersion when in reality we'll never drive being behind our car ?

Immersion doesn’t necessarily have to rely upon one’s control or interaction with one’s surroundings. Immersion can be solely based upon one’s perspective of their space (occupied space) and those persons, objects, and/or things relative to them. I can enjoy a movie like Star Wars, be immerse, and not be hammered down with running the theater cameras, lighting and sound. Simply put, immersion is something that can preoccupy one’s time or perceived reality.

I wish we had full control over camera angles/positions during racing, not just photo-mode. Because the rear position destroys some of the immersion for me, especially racing games going for more of a simulation experience, rather than a typical arcade racer.

can we talk about breaking immersion when in reality we'll never drive being behind our car ?

Immersion doesn’t necessarily have to rely upon one’s control or interaction with one’s surroundings. Immersion can be solely based upon one’s perspective of their space (occupied space) and those persons, objects, and/or things relative to them. I can enjoy a movie like Star Wars, be immerse, and not be hammered down with running the theater cameras, lighting and sound. Simply put, immersion is something that can preoccupy one’s time or perceived reality.

And I thought that the cockpit camera was immersive enough... But oh, well, I agree that immersion is subjective.

I get what you're saying, but for me, I can't really get truly immersed in a game unless I'm in first person view. 3rd person, top down, side scroller, etc. there's no way for me to be immersed in the game. I always feel like I'm playing a game or viewing a movie.

Probably why I never used anything but cockpit view when I used to play racing games. Chase cam always completely ruined the immersion for me.

Not to say it has to be that way for other people. :) But for me, racing games were always behind the steering wheel or nothing.

Regards,
SB

I get what you're saying, but for me, I can't really get truly immersed in a game unless I'm in first person view. 3rd person, top down, side scroller, etc. there's no way for me to be immersed in the game. I always feel like I'm playing a game or viewing a movie.

Probably why I never used anything but cockpit view when I used to play racing games. Chase cam always completely ruined the immersion for me.

Not to say it has to be that way for other people. :) But for me, racing games were always behind the steering wheel or nothing.

Regards,
SB

Cockpit view is always the best, I agree with you there. However, sometimes you want to admire the overall environment (or panoramic view) outside the vehicle while in motion. Oddly enough, having an over-the-shoulder or rear-seat camera perspective is also amazing, almost a cinematic feel from a passenger perspective. I wish more driving and racing games would include such perspectives or user defined settings.

Left out quite a bit of stuff for GT that makes it look noticeably superior and more realistic imo, so I added them in.

When everything comes together, it's the most photorealistic game ever (especially in the cockpit view from the video above). Too bad the graphics are no consistent enough, depending of the track and daytime. Driveclub is inconsistent too. That's why i prefer FH4.

When everything comes together, it's the most photorealistic game ever (especially in the cockpit view from the video above). Too bad the graphics are no consistent enough, depending of the track and daytime. Driveclub is inconsistent too. That's why i prefer FH4.

Yeah, some tracks in GTS don't look that great and looked really rushed and didn't get the attention like some other tracks did. Polyphony need to start outsourcing some modeling and art assets to get everything to the same quality, it's obvious they struggled trying to produce enough content by doing everything themselves, and why GT5/6 was filled with a bunch of ps2 ported assets lol. Good news is they actually just started outsourcing some car models at least to a company in Japan.

But yeah, I've played the demo of FH4 and it's a very beautiful looking game. Was waiting for time progression but the shadows never moved so I guess time change and weather was locked in the demo.

Also agree, GTS at its peak in cockpit view still comes the closest to tricking me into thinking it's real footage.

WRC 8, I somehow doubt this is PS4 at 60 fps but after Dirt Rallye 2.0 looking like DLC to first game, I might be interested ... I would also take it as launch PS5 game with native 4k/60fps :LOL:

Back