Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe if a customer requested it and had volumes in the tens of millions of die...
I'm sure AMD would have loved to use 2 GB stacks on Radeon VII if there were any, Hynix even listed those in their plans, but never actually started production.

Or maybe if a customer requested it and had volumes in the tens of millions of die...
If jedec put them in the specs it must be because some manufacturers at least -considered- making it, and as you say the actual existence simply depends on a big customer demanding it. Maybe it's literally put in the specs based on some customers asking for more granularity. We saw this with smartphone memory which were the first to break the 2's exponent rule (3GB lpddr4 is widespread).

What I am curious about is whether we will ever see dram moving to some disabled capacity for yield, like flash have done for decades now. There was a statistic years ago saying consumer dram yield is around 50%, not sure if it went up or down. So imagine if they were to use all the imperfect 16gb and map the failed banks orthogonally to make 12gb chips out of it.

Are they likely to do that again? AMD seem to have a better handle on power management than they did when last gen was designed.
it would require an additional memory controller/interface that increases die space on the SoC so that is one downside to having it on the APU or I/O die if they go the chiplet route seen on Radeon VII.

it would require an additional memory controller/interface that increases die space on the SoC so that is one downside to having it on the APU or I/O die if they go the chiplet route seen on Radeon VII.

I'm asking if there will be a South Bridge this time.

And Radeon VII isn't a chiplet-based design. Did you mean Zen 2?

I wonder how credible the info is.
If Sony indeed goes only for a 12GB of memory it's going to be a bad decision. Thats the same amount as X (but GDDR6 on PS5). 2 GB or more will be reserved for the OS. The rest will be shared with expected reductions in performance associated with shared memory. Even 16GB for XBOX is in the kinda acceptable region/ Let alone 12GB. Faster GDDR6 ram is important, but it's also important and easier for the developer to know how much room there is to load data at any given point that just resolve on the bandwidth.
Each generation was experiencing a 4x to 8x increase in memory. I understand that it is probably more expensive now. Still I am hoping for a delightful surprise like the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory that no one was expecting. But can you imagine how badly the performance would have been hindered if Sony went with a 6GB GDDR5 of shared memory of which 1.5GB was going to be reserved for the OS?
I am sure Sony would have lost the game if that became the released specs. 12GB sound something like that.

Edit: I mean even an 8 Core Ryzen, 46 GB GDDR4, 1080ti can't run Crysis 3 on highest settings at constant 100% 60 fps at Full HD in some sections and that's an old game. Imagine that 4k will be the standard-ish resolution which will absorb a hefty amount of that performance. Plus if RT Tracing becomes the new standard expect an additional absorption of that performance

I think 12 gb can be enough for a 8 TF gpu... But 18 better. So let's hope 18... 24 is probably too expensive. Or 16 on a super wide 512 bit bus...

I think 12 gb can be enough for a 8 TF gpu... But 18 better. So let's hope 18... 24 is probably too expensive. Or 16 on a super wide 512 bit bus...
Let's see about those 18 GB suggestions when someone actually makes 12 Gb chips to make that possible

I wonder how credible the info is.
Unlikely credible at all.
Partner solutions teams are isolated from the main company. Meaning special access requirements NDAs etc. Within that there are isolations between partners, so people working with MS cannot talk to the people working with Sony.

In order for a single leaker to get news on both would require some 3 levels deep of leaks. The first getting by the standard AMD employee and getting a semi custom person to speak out. In my company partner solutions peoples are super guarded because of the amount of money they are working with, plus, incentives to stay quiet.

Then that person would have to learn something about MS. And find another contact for Sony.

The likelihood that the leaks are so great are minimal.

So, a guy claiming he knows something about both consoles has found both manuals? ;)

God it's like busses, you wait for ages and two highly confidential documents land in your lap at once.

I did not know that was how the initial leaks happened, is there a post expanding on that?

I have no idea if that informations are true, old, or made up.
Just saying that even if implausible, no nda breach is impossible.

Its hard to believe MS has no idea what Sony has planned for their PS5 hardware, or vice versa? PS4 and One had very identical hardware, same GPU and CPU, same amount of RAM. I mean how could they not?

Its hard to believe MS has no idea what Sony has planned for their PS5 hardware, or vice versa? PS4 and One had very identical hardware, same GPU and CPU, same amount of RAM. I mean how could they not?
They'd only know what's possible, not what they'll actually do. I don't know if it really matters to them since MS has their own plans anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back