Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also dont get the mixed emotion response to the rumors so far:

2013 a 1.84 TF PS4 released
2016 a 4.2 TF 4Pro released
2019 a 8.x TF PS5 rumored delayed to 2020.

The 2x increase in 3 years (2013 to 2016) is great!

The 2x increase in 3 years (2019 to 2016 but delayed to 2020 for reasons) is "You have to be high if you think that after three years the PS5 ".

Why is one great but the other requires illicit drug use?
It only requires extremely selective gullibility.

Winners don't use drugs.

I think the "just 8 TF" increase the chances of some silicon dedicated to RT...
Definitely, and it's in line with the need for more efficient processing versus brute force higher TF.

But the reddit post is still ridiculous. If it ends up 8TF it's pure coincidence.

But is that how AMD is handling RT? Dedicated hardware?

Personally I'm not sure if RT is even worth it on consoles yet...
Working smarter is going to be critical from this point forward. Node gains are going ot be less frequent and cost more. The way forward is going to be smarter processing or dedicated accelerators for certain functions until things get to a point where we can go back to more generic.

At this point in time, to obtain graphical gains we need RT acceleration. I honestly don't think you're going to go much further without it, the biggest items being AO, GI, Shadows, and Reflections which have largely been left on the back burner for since... nearly since the inception of our gaming. A new generation of console will lock the feature set for 6-8 years here.
By the time consoles release RT would have been out in the wild for 2, it almost seems entirely amiss to bet on any other technology; Aside from RT, what else is coming down the line other than a bunch of compute based algorithms that attempt to do what RT is doing but without the acceleration hardware?

This would legitimately shock me if one console shipped with RT and the other didn't. It would have been in use for 2 years, with vendors working on their hardware solutions for even longer. What excuse could there be to really ignore the movement towards RT?

We need to stop looking at what exclusives can do with the hardware, and look at what 3P can achieve. You want the median of graphics quality across all your titles to move up, not just the 1% who can craft an entire game with an obscene amount of support, time and funding designed around 1 specific hardware profile.

Last edited:
Probably can be dead silicon for years... But some RT specialized silicon I'm sure can be really useful in next years as graphic engines start to use it in an interesting, efficient way. Probably AMD has the chance to set up a kind of "standard" of the amount and usability of it... Same as the 16 thread CPU, that's clearly an overhead now. But it can help selling Ryzens...

Well, given how zen+ cores are much more capable than jaguar core in todays console, I still think it's a big, big boost, very needed, even of "only" 7 cores are really available, maybe with smt in top of that.

And I don't want to pay my PS5 699€ because of 2 more cores :eek:

I want at least a 5x boost.

Most likely 1 core [2 threads] will be for OS, and few gigs of ram [hopefully that will be slow ddr like on Pro's mobo].

I wish this can be true but I really doubt it.

How about 4 core 8 thread and leave more space for gpu power? Give me 12tf minimum or give me death.

12tf is the minimum for me as well.
I sincerely hope they will reach 15tf.

Still almost 2 years to go. I expect consoles to start at 499$ which will make sense since 399$ has been the gold standard since 2005, 15 years before with inflation and everything. I want a powerful console, 100$ more at launch is not a problem.

I also dont get the mixed emotion response to the rumors so far:

2013 a 1.84 TF PS4 released
2016 a 4.2 TF 4Pro released
2019 a 8.x TF PS5 rumored delayed to 2020.

The 2x increase in 3 years (2013 to 2016) is great!

The 2x increase in 3 years (2019 to 2016 but delayed to 2020 for reasons) is "You have to be high if you think that after three years the PS5 ".

Why is one great but the other requires illicit drug use?

Calculating the growth for 4 years using the growth from PS4 to PS4Pro (2.28) the result is 12.5TF

Another thing to consider is that these console will be targeting 4K which is 4 times 1080 a much bigger leap than the one from 720p to 1080p

Targeting full 4K is not a matter only of GPU, you have to bump up HD (all is bigger), HD speed if you don't wait 15 min for each loading, RAM quantity, Bandwidth... Net speed. How much cost today a full 4K capable PC ?

[QUOTE="MrFox, post: Maybe architectural changes can allow higher clocks...[/QUOTE]

Roadmap-640x360.jpg

If Polaris is a gain of 2.5x performance/watt, then Navi is at least another 2.5x from Polaris, according to the above image.
If Microsoft managed 6 TFLOPS with the X, then 12 should be possible with the same power consumption.

[QUOTE="MrFox, post: Maybe architectural changes can allow higher clocks...

Roadmap-640x360.jpg

If Polaris is a gain of 2.5x performance/watt, then Navi is at least another 2.5x from Polaris, according to the above image.
If Microsoft managed 6 TFLOPS with the X, then 12 should be possible with the same power consumption.

Did Polaris actually achieve that gain though?

Brad Samms commenting on that resetera post

- kind of disputes codename 'Anubis' for SoC...says it could be 'Arden'
- agrees on devkits being released after GDC 2019...called 'Dante'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back