Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, given how zen+ cores are much more capable than jaguar core in todays console, I still think it's a big, big boost, very needed, even of "only" 7 cores are really available, maybe with smt in top of that.

And I don't want to pay my PS5 699€ because of 2 more cores :eek:

No no, we want the pc boys to suffer. Max those bad boys for 30fps and laugh meanacingly, viva the console ̶p̶e̶a̶s̶a̶n̶t̶ uprising

Once you get to 8 cores I feel higher clocks / stronger single thread performance may be prefered than going super wide?

Last edited:
8xZen+ with SMT at 3 GHz is probably at least 3-4x multicore performance than 8xJag. Single thread will be well over double too.

Last edited:
8xZen+ with SMT at 3 GHz is probably at least 3-4x multicore performance than 8xJag. Single thread will be well over double too.
if you go from base PS4 then its more like 6ish using cinebench R15 as a guesstimate from a 1.6ghz 8 core jaguar to 3.0ghz 8x Zen 1 core.

if you go from base PS4 then its more like 6ish using cinebench R15 as a guesstimate from a 1.6ghz 8 core jaguar to 3.0ghz 8x Zen 1 core.

I was going by passmark scores (idk how good it is, but has a massive database of scores), checked how the multicore scaling is, applied that to the 4 core 5150 (1.6GHz), and compared it to a ryzen 1700 which afaik has a 3.1GHz all-core turbo. The 1700 is a bit over 3x. For single thread I compared it to a ryzen 1200 which turbos to 3.4 for a single thread, it was a bit under 3x the score.

I guess cinebench scales more, passmark gained almost 2x going from 2 to 4 core, but from 4 to 8 it was closer to 50% more. I didn't actually take that into account for the 8 core jaguar estimate though, so maybe ryzen is a lot higher than just 3x.

Ryzen + would be a massive improvement over Jaguar, it also makes me think they were targeting 2019 as a launch date but Navi has fallen behind schedule.

If they do go with 8 or more Ryzen cores, it'll be interesting what happens in the PC space, as the mass majority of users are on 4 cores or less, which might "encourage" an upgrade.

AMD might be looking to capitalise on that fact - how many 8 core CPU's do Intel have coming down the pipe?

The new amd soc codename tells us about nothing, except that at least one console will be a puny soc instead of a glorious chiplet.

The new amd soc codename tells us about nothing, except that at least one console will be a puny soc instead of a glorious chiplet.
Does it? I don't see how the codename would in any way hint it's "monolithic soc" nor "chiplet solution"

If this summer Navi 10 is close to 2070 for much cheaper price, I will be glad.

The 2070 will still have the tensor cores and RT modules, which Navi 10 probably won't have.
That said, the Navi family might going out against the rumored GTX 11-series which should be priced accordingly and lacks the RTX-specific hardware.

It's still great that we might have better competition regardless.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/mark-evan-cerny

Take a look to the big amount of patents published by Cerny(and others) during 2018. One of them talks about variable bus speed for legacy applications, but there are others that could also give us clues about next PS5 custom changes to the architecture.

A lot of these are not clear to me due to a lack of knowledge of the material, but a good many are recognizable even to me as being related to foveated rendering for VR (?) and a good many more are just as obviously related to BC.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/mark-evan-cerny

Take a look to the big amount of patents published by Cerny(and others) during 2018. One of them talks about variable bus speed for legacy applications, but there are others that could also give us clues about next PS5 custom changes to the architecture.

The question remains, will the "BC downclock mode" give us access to base PS4 games or Pro-patched version of those games? Many will not be happy if they could not get 4K PS4 Pro games on PS5.

Most are updates of patents filed in 2015 about BC.

It talks about tools given to developers so they can test and debug their games by simulating different hardware targets, and different performance impediment. So it must be to simplify cross-gen development, and help testing boost modes on their existing titles, not just BC testing.

I suppose plain BC is up to Sony to simulate the exact previous hardware as a worst case compatibility mode. Anything more requires the devs to make sure they don't have undetected race conditions which would require a patch on faster or different hardware performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back