AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now, if E3 announcement rumor is true - I'd expect them to announce September or October availability.
That doesn't make it "another 9 month delay" though, since we don't know when it was supposed to be released (after initial push back)

Another AdoredTV take:

• Navi was planned for CES but had to be respun, so here we have Radeon VII as a last minute replacement
  • Vega is not making any profit due to the high costs of HBM2 interposer
  • Navi is much cheaper with GDDR6 and is priced aggressively
  • There was a high-end Polaris that had to be cancelled
  • Navi 10 performance a bit under RTX 2070

Last edited:
Another AdoredTV take:
  • Navi was planned for CES but had to be respun in October, so here we have Radeon VII as a last minute replacement
  • Navi is much cheaper with GDDR6 and priced aggressively

So here is the supposed 7 nm lineup as I would take it from the latest leaks:

Navi 10
mid-end, relplaces Polaris 10/20/30 (RX 480/580/590), 6-7 TFLOPS, ~40 CU GDDR6, probably $200-$250
Fall 2019

Navi 12
low-end, replaces Polaris 11/21 (RX 460/560), supposedly 20 CU or lower
Fall 2019

Navi 20
high-end, replaces Vega 10 (RX Vega 56/64), ~60 CU GDDR6, 10-12 TFLOPS, probably $300-$400
Spring 2020

Arcturus
'next-gen', probably enthusiast level,
HMB3 fan-out on substrate?
Fall 2020 or later
Respin wouldn't push it back to October, respin (IIRC) takes around 3-4 months max

Another AdoredTV take:
  • Navi was planned for CES but had to be respun in October, so here we have Radeon VII as a last minute replacement
  • Navi is much cheaper with GDDR6 and priced aggressively

So here is the supposed 7 nm lineup as I would take it from the latest leaks:

Navi 10
mid-end, relplaces Polaris 10/20/30 (RX 480/580/590), 6-7 TFLOPS, ~40 CU GDDR6, probably $200-$250
Fall 2019

Navi 12
low-end, replaces Polaris 11/21 (RX 460/560), supposedly 20 CU or lower
Fall 2019

Navi 20
high-end, replaces Vega 10 (RX Vega 56/64), ~60 CU GDDR6, 10-12 TFLOPS, probably $300-$400
Spring 2020

Arcturus
'next-gen', probably enthusiast level,
HMB3 fan-out on substrate?
Fall 2020 or later

I see, that Adored came with another rumour spin after his Navi at CES fiasco and yet people still buy it...

Lets just hope thats not the case.
I've always felt that next gen would be around 2070 levels. Nothing surprising here for me. As long as the feature set is good, this works better than most think.

I'm still shocked that people think you can do much better than a 2070 with a ~Zen2 CPU performance coupled with 16gb+ memory and a large hard drive for $399. People need to get real about pricing. in 18 months I'm not expecting everything to suddenly 1/2 in price.

Last edited:
I've always felt that next gen would be around 2070 levels. Nothing surprising here for me. As long as the feature set is good, this works better than most think.

Yeah, somewhere it makes sense, AMD being behind Nvidia in performance in general, we cant expect the highest end part AMD has by that time in the consoles either, the APU design probally going to have mid end navi someway. We are allways going to have a massive jump in CPU performance no matter what, i mean that jaguar was allready low end by 2010 standards.
GDDR6 or HBM atleast we can expect.

Yeah, somewhere it makes sense, AMD being behind Nvidia in performance in general, we cant expect the highest end part AMD has by that time in the consoles either, the APU design probally going to have mid end navi someway. We are allways going to have a massive jump in CPU performance no matter what, i mean that jaguar was allready low end by 2010 standards.
GDDR6 or HBM atleast we can expect.
The console space is much more creative than the PC space, I'm a bit surprised that people tend to forget that. Consoles generally punch above their weight because of that creativity and maximizing the hardware features to its fullest potential.

Each generation of console has had a big leap not necessarily in just power, but a big leap in graphics functionality, and there always seems to be this movement that tends to ignore the feature-set and just focus squarely on power.

Lets just hope thats not the case.
Why? It all depends on its size, perf/power attributes and price. It doesn't have to be a 2080ti killer. A small die with good power characteristics that has 2070 perf at a competitive price would be great.

Why? It all depends on its size, perf/power attributes and price. It doesn't have to be a 2080ti killer. A small die with good power characteristics that has 2070 perf at a competitive price would be great.

True, its not bad peformance perhaps, just the thought that PS5 is going to happen in about 2 years, by then a 2070 isnt all that mid range i think. Even now in the RTX series its one step above the 2060. After 2070 we have 2080, then 2080ti, then Titan. In two years we have the successors, and Arcturus on AMDs side.

True, its not bad peformance perhaps, just the thought that PS5 is going to happen in about 2 years, by then a 2070 isnt all that mid range i think. Even now in the RTX series its one step above the 2060. After 2070 we have 2080, then 2080ti, then Titan. In two years we have the successors, and Arcturus on AMDs side.
As we leave Moore’s law, we are having difficulties getting the same sort of doubling of power at the same price.

The goals from this point forward is to look at different accelerators to move forward in graphics. Lisa Su says this, nvidia has largely done this with the 2xxx line.

It may seem like there won’t be a lot of progress but I’m certain there will be.

I'm still shocked that people think you can do much better than a 2070 with a ~Zen2 CPU performance coupled with 16gb+ memory and a large hard drive for $399. People need to get real about pricing. in 18 months I'm not expecting everything to suddenly 1/2 in price.

RTX 2070 is faster in PC games than a 12TF AMD GPU.

I believe Navi's architecture will be based off higher amount of ROPS and GDDR6 @ max bandwidth. Nothing exotic, but efficient use of a small die, that will push the max amount of frames at 1440p, in raw form. (But again, more rops to shaders.)

I see, that Adored came with another rumour spin after his Navi at CES fiasco and yet people still buy it...

You know, he successfully pivoted from “let’s play” videos to telling r/AMD exactly what it wants to hear and good for him, but by and large he has been consistently and often rather drastically wrong with the GPU rumor peddling. Remember this gem?
9909A725-A2CC-43C7-A302-74A271AEBC86.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back