What's the oldest console game you still have an interest in playing?

How old can a console game be before you lose interest?

• No older than current gen. Tech's moved on, and me with it

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Last gen. I still like playing the games from then

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Two gens back (PS1). There are some classics and I don't mind the chunky pixels

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Three or four gens. 8 or 16 bit, a good game is still a good game.

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • No limit. I'd happily spend a few hours pinging a dot across an oscilloscope scren

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I don't play games. How did I get on this forum again?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
im stunned looking at jokers collection. Wow...
btw thats a 110v electric socket?
What button on the right of it? is it light button? but so close to floor?

and that phone, landlines cordless phone?
i miss that :)

Lol. times have changed :) In my defense of the landline, that room is my office and sometimes it's just easier to do a call via landline because the audio delay when doing cellphone to cellphone calls just sometimes drives me nuts! I do filming in there as well, it's always funny when the girl sees those games and has no idea what they are. One even asked if those were VHS tapes :)

I still have my original Atari 2600, NES, Genesis and SNES consoles I had as a kid. I still think they are all playable but much of that comes down to fond memories I'm sure. As cool as I think the old games are, I do mostly only play new stuff. For whatever reason I have no interest in replaying any of the consoles in between the Genesis/SNES era and current machines, so like N64, PS1, etc all the way to Xbox/PS2. I think I was older when I played those so there is no nostalgia associated with them for the most part, with the odd exception like playing GTA Vice City.

I keep a few old consoles and games around...

games2.jpg

games1.jpg

Brings back memories from the 80s. Aaaaahhh....nostalgia :D

Originally I thought none but seeing jokers atari collection reminded me of one
it was for the 2600 was a space sim and came with a special controller, any ideas joker ?
edit: star raiders

Answered "no limit." I'd love to find an old ColecoVision or Intellivision with a load of games and give them a spin, as I never had one of those.

When nothing I've got looks good, I will frequently find an old DOS classic I never played/beat and play that instead. The most recent one was X-COM: UFO defense. But one thing I noticed is that DOS games were made for an era where 75K sales was pretty good, i.e., they were mostly being bought by geeks pretty dedicated to games...so lots of them take a long time to play. I mean you have to sit there for three hours to do anything.

I just realize that I haven't answered the question of the topic. I would say my answer depends - if we are talking about playing on a handheld with small screen or a smartphone, I would put the oldest game to something I used to play on the Amiga - or SNES or Gameboy.

If we are talking about the oldest I would play on my gaming setup connected to a HD-TV, it would have to be perhaps MarioKart. Of course, it would be nice to have those games in a better resolution and better image quality, since that is what hurts them most when viewing (and playing) on the big screen.

One consideration looking forwards is that the graphical shortcomings are diminishing. Where Crash Team Racing was a chunky, jerk-along eye-killer despite being great in its day, current gen games will still look 'okay' in ten years time making them more palatable. I think 2D games also age better. Monkey Island on Amiga is passable, although the remake on current machines looks a trillion times better!

It's worth noting I played CTR last week when a group of us were trying LBPKarting. It just didn't play well and my sis kept lamenting it wasn't as good as CTR. So we bought CTR off PSN and played it. It did look terrible and the framerate was ghastly, but it did play better and was more fun. If only gameplay could be kept going forwards as well improving visuals, we'd never have to legacy game at all!

Frame Rate was bad? I've played it on my PSP recently and the frame rate wasn't so bad... It was ugly though(Hell I didn't like how it looked back in the day. Didn't offend me or anything, but I didn't think it was a very good looking game).

Possible emulation issue there?

I hardly touch legacy games on modern consoles but I've picked up a couple in the last year or so that were still fun to play through. Oddly enough - all from Nintendo...

SNES : Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World
Gameboy : Tetris

best 2D sprite marios are SMB3 and SML2(Which is basically SMB3 style gameplay with a more SMW-like world and the drill jump).

I can only go two generations back, since that's all my game library allows right now and that's when I started gaming on consoles.
But I do still play those games sometimes. Still trying to finish all Final Fantasy games since VI.

I have an XBox 1 modded to run MAME and console emulators up to PS1. I also have N64 around. I'll play pretty much anything. But I don't spend a lot of time on these. It's an occasional thing.

Last week I've played Mortal Kombat II on AMIGA 1200 and this week Dyna Blaster and Xtreme Racing on AMIGA CD32.
Few months ago I had nostalgia moment and played a bit of Gordian Tomb on emulated C-64 [great soundtrack and amazing game for it's time].

This year so far I had quick reminders of good old games in:
- Tomb Raider [DosBox]
- Ultimate Doom [DosBox]
- Prince of Persia [DosBox]
- GLQuake

Games are probably best at showing how PC technology progressed in the last 20-30 years. Amazing!

SNES/Mega Drive for me. 16bit pixel art still looks rather pleasant to my eyes. I'd probably skip both the PSone and the PS3 generation, though. One has aged poorly while the other is basically just a worse way to play the things I'm now playing on the PS4. The PS2 on the other hand still has a lot going for it thanks to its insane library of games.

SNES/Mega Drive for me. 16bit pixel art still looks rather pleasant to my eyes. I'd probably skip both the PSone and the PS3 generation, though. One has aged poorly while the other is basically just a worse way to play the things I'm now playing on the PS4. The PS2 on the other hand still has a lot going for it thanks to its insane library of games.
Then you will miss out excellent titles, IMO! The first PlayStation has many, many really good titles. In PS3 you have other gems, as well, but not as much as in PS, in comparison to the things for PS3 that you can already play in PS4 as well.

I voted for 8/16 bit, BTW.

Last edited:
These are games I still sit down to replay to this day, mostly on emulators

NES: Super Mario Bros 3 - only playable on emulator because it has archaic limited 1 ups that give you game over
SNES: SMW which is not as cruel, so can be played on actual hardware, along with Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, and DK lC 1, 2 and 3 (I think I'm the only freak who prefers 3) (DKC is also too cruel without save-states for me to consider playable)
On Mega Drive: Rinstar and Gunstar Heroes. (again, I can't endure Gunstar without savestates)
N64: SM64, Mario Kart 64 and Rayman 2.
PS1: Crash and Spyro 1, 2 and 3 (now I can play the remasters, but somehow I still like to play the originals to appreciate the impressive graphical feat they pulled off in those games back then)
and what I think is the best Kat Racer ever made: Crash Team Racing. Also, klonoa.
Old PC: Most of the comedic LA graphical adventures: MI1, 2 and 3, DoTT, S&M:HtR, FT. The ones before MI1, Loom and Dig are a bore.
Half Life 1 & 2.

That's it. The list has been longer, but the avarage game quality has risen too much for most older stuff to still hold my interest.

There are few GC/PS2 era games I'd still play today, but I'm still eagerly waiting for the day all kinks in their emulation are sorted so I can safely do it:

GC: SMS and Mario Strikers.
PS2: Jak Series, but J&D1 is the best in my opinion, the GTAzation of the later titles, beside being cringy added all the busy work of GTA with none of it's thematic appeal nor emergent fun, while also diluting what made Jak 1 good.
I would also give Ratchet and Sly games a try, but I didn't find them as enjoyable back them and I'm pretty sure it would be worse today.
XBO: Splinter Cell 1, 2 and 3.

Metal gear solid 2 is oldest game that I still play through occasionally. I wish there was modern version of it as hw I use to play it is ps vita. Love that game, somehow it's magically good for me.

Back