Local Multiplayer Games

sir doris

Regular
Can anyone suggest some fun local muliplayer games (preferably 3-4 player) suitable for playing with the family.

We have Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed, Overcooked and Bro Force which are great fun.

I'm thinking about Gang Beasts or Ultimate Chicken Horse (not sure if my 7 year old will find the latter too hard?) but do you know of any more fun affordable games?

The PC is quite low spec:

It's either a sandy bridge dual core Pentium G840 or sandy bridge 4 core/ 8 thread Xeon E3-1230, can't remember if I swapped the Pentium out yet.
16GB RAM
HD 7750 1GB

Thanks.

By local multiplayer do you mean splitscreen or playing over a network ?
For kids the ultimate multiplayer game is Nerf Arena Blast (if you can find a copy)

Can anyone suggest some fun local muliplayer games (preferably 3-4 player) suitable for playing with the family.

We have Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed, Overcooked and Bro Force which are great fun.

I'm thinking about Gang Beasts or Ultimate Chicken Horse (not sure if my 7 year old will find the latter too hard?) but do you know of any more fun affordable games?

The PC is quite low spec:

It's either a sandy bridge dual core Pentium G840 or sandy bridge 4 core/ 8 thread Xeon E3-1230, can't remember if I swapped the Pentium out yet.
16GB RAM
HD 7750 1GB

Thanks.

Wish I could remember the game, but there was a fantastic local multiplayer game where one person plays the hero and up to 3 other people play as monsters. If a monster kills the hero, they become the hero and the former hero becomes a monster.

The goal is to amass enough gold and gear up enough to defeat the final boss as the hero, all while the other 3 players try to prevent you from doing it so they can be the hero that defeats the boss.

I'll try to see if I can find the name of the game, but don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Regards,
SB

Wish I could remember the game, but there was a fantastic local multiplayer game where one person plays the hero and up to 3 other people play as monsters. If a monster kills the hero, they become the hero and the former hero becomes a monster.
That sounds like a lot of fun. Try to find it please!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Try to find it please!

You're in luck, I remembered watching the Yogscast crew play it on YouTube. Picked a random year (2014) and started looking at some of their series from that year, and I ran into it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3XZNMGhpynMaK0neMZbP4acBxpK65KQ0

Their videos of it. The game is called Crawl.

Ridiculously good reviews for it, and the game definitely deserves it. :)

Oh, and it's 50% off during the Steam Winter Sales. Even better!

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Oh, and for more local multiplayer type games, look at Jesse Cox's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkHvtzNwf_wOcKZ2BiFi9trn

I believe all the games in that playlist of his channel have local multiplayer games. Some are good, some no so much. :p

NorthernLion (Twitch and YouTube) plays a lot of multiplayer indie games on his NLSS show, although I'm not sure how many of them support local multiplayer in addition to internet multiplayer.

Regards,
SB

A bit old, but Castle Crashers was a riot, although it's easy to lose track of your character because of the art. There may be some poop jokes, but IIRC, the humour is mostly harmless (IMHO).

Sacred Citadel is a fairly simple side-scroller with some RPG-lite mechanics. Only supports up to 3 players though.

I'd recommend Zombie Vikings (give thanks to @Graham for roping me into it :V), but a lot of the humour may or may not be suitable for a child (and some of the art may be a little suspect). :p

Haven't played it, but how about the Gauntlet remake?

----

only 2p, but I really enjoyed Guardian of Light, which has a mix of puzzles and shooting.
It's on sale now for really cheap.

The sequel has 4p, but folks didn't seem to like it (I haven't played it).

Last edited:
I'd recommend Zombie Vikings (give thanks to @Graham for roping me into it :V), but a lot of the humour may or may not be suitable for a child (and some of the art may be a little suspect)
A Zach Weinersmith game, cool! I'll have to check it out.
aven't played it, but how about the Gauntlet remake?
Could be a fun one for the PS4.

lol so I probably shouldn't play it with my 7-year old boy?
The innuendo could fly over his head just like how there's a bunch of things cartoons have done over the years that you don't think about because you didn't know any better at the time. :p The dialogue is fairly harmless in itself IIRC, it just might seem really bizarre. :p

edit: I guess it's rated for teen though. xD

Back