Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw a user of 3dcenter.de tested a titan V. This card has no RT cores but is only a bit slower than the Titan RTX (80 vs 87 fps; 52 vs 81 fps (worst case), 1440p ultra settings, RT high) fps. This card uses the shaders for the calculations via nvidia driver or directx emulation.
So this is usable without extra hardware and RT cores only give a slight advantage (not as much that specific hardware is needed). More shader units seems to be the much better option, because those can be used for other tasks, too.

Last edited:
80 vs 87 fps;
That was in a map with limited reflections. The testing was also very brief. And wasn't apples to apples, he basically eyeballed it. Minimum fps were hit hard as well. Also no IQ comparisons has been made.

52 vs 81 fps (worst case)
Rotterdam map. And it's not worst case, it's a typical map with puddles and reflective metallic surfaces, this is literally what RTX entails. Worst case you would have the Titan RTX barely doing 1440p60, in which case the TitanV will barely do 35. And this 55% difference is like a generational leap in GPUs. It will also grow larger at Ultra RT.

And again, the user didn't test a comparable scene, he basically eyeballed the performance.

Interesting interview with Phil Spencer which talks about X Cloud and next generation silicon. Flexible silicon for multiple uses including machine learning. Tensor core could fit in here.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/phil-spencer-buy-ea-next-gen/

“The thing that’s interesting for us as we roll forward, is we’re actually designing our next-gen silicon in such a way that it works great for playing games in the cloud, and also works very well for machine learning and other non-entertainment workloads. As a company like Microsoft, we can dual-purpose the silicon that we’re putting in.

We have a consumer use for that silicon, and we have enterprise use for those blades as well. It all in our space around driving down the cost to serve. Your cost to serve is made up by two things, how much was the hardware, and how much time does that hardware monetize.

So if we can monetize that hardware over more cycles in the 24 hours through game streaming and other things that need CPU and GPU in the cloud, we will drive down the cost to serve in our services. So the design as we move forward is done hand-in-hand with the Azure silicon team, and I think that creates a real competitive advantage.”
interesting, but Phil Spencer showed into the AMD presentation today, which means no nVidia technology on a next gen console.

A new RTX demo show us the ways of the next gen. More brilli brilli effects by nVidia.

interesting, but Phil Spencer showed into the AMD presentation today, which means no nVidia technology on a next gen console.

Not necessarily. It certainly means there will be an AMD powered next-gen XBox, but, if there's truth to them being a family of devices, there's still a chance that there'll be an Nvidia console too.

I doubt it, because both Sony and Microsoft have had their fingers burned working with Nvidia. But never say never.

A new RTX demo show us the ways of the next gen. More brilli brilli effects by nVidia.

Tensor cores and AI workloads are not Nvidia exclusive, I thought Google or someone developed them.

AMD even spoke about their scale and future, others spoke about how much AMD was interested in their industry or use cases, I can see AMD being pretty keen on assisting and securing a nice slice of Azure HW.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-7nm-lisa-su-interview,5961.html
Tom’s Hardware:
How do you think ray tracing, in particular, fits into the future of GPUs, and are you working to address that type of rendering with specific optimizations for Radeon VII?

Lisa Su: I think that ray tracing is an important capability and we view that as important. We are continuing to work on ray tracing both on the hardware side and the software side, and you’ll hear more about our plans as we go through the year.

Tensor cores and AI workloads are not Nvidia exclusive, I thought Google or someone developed them.
Not sure who made 'em first, but there are several different companies with their own tensor core implementations

AMD even spoke about their scale and future, others spoke about how much AMD was interested in their industry or use cases, I can see AMD being pretty keen on assisting and securing a nice slice of Azure HW.
this is correct. Google is now working on their 3rd generation of tensor core. Or, TPU (tensor processing unit)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_processing_unit

Not necessarily. It certainly means there will be an AMD powered next-gen XBox, but, if there's truth to them being a family of devices, there's still a chance that there'll be an Nvidia console too.

I doubt it, because both Sony and Microsoft have had their fingers burned working with Nvidia. But never say never.

After that presentation, I can't think of a single aspect of any future products I have more certainty about than that the GPUs in all of the the next Xbox SKUs will be from AMD. And I was pretty sure of it before that, too.

After that presentation, I can't think of a single aspect of any future products I have more certainty about than that the GPUs in all of the the next Xbox SKUs will be from AMD. And I was pretty sure of it before that, too.

Agreed. But, in the same year that the Wright brothers flew a plane for the first time, Simon Newcomb wrote mathematical proof of why it was impossible.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on an all-AMD family of devices. But nothing's ever an absolute certainty.

Agreed. But, in the same year that the Wright brothers flew a plane for the first time, Simon Newcomb wrote mathematical proof of why it was impossible.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on an all-AMD family of devices. But nothing's ever an absolute certainty.

In principal, maybe, but as a practical matter when the odds of something not being the case are so minuscule, there's really no reason not to just accept it as a given.

Now thats what i call next gen. It was running in real time on what? quad sli Titan turing?

Another demo

darn, this is much better stuff. I found the Project Sol Part 2 video quite boring, compared to this. The caustics on the water, the lights....

darn, this is much better stuff. I found the Project Sol Part 2 video quite boring, compared to this. The caustics on the water, the lights....

Better artwork etc, imagine what a AAA game could look like on a RTX/i9 system :) Turing has some serious rasterization power aswell, these demos dont just show raytracing.
Got my answer, those demos are running on just one 2080Ti. Full system specs:

System specs: GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i9 9900K. 32G RAM.

Supposedly running on a RTX gpu during CES, the following video

Oops, thought i was posting in this topic the whole time?https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...0ti-2080-2070-2060.60871/page-26#post-2054376

Dunno if posts got moved or if im confusing the two threads :p

I am not that impressed in the outdoor part.
Is it only using raytracing for reflections?

I am not that impressed in the outdoor part.
Is it only using raytracing for reflections?

Outdoor spaces are just that much tricker to get right, especially something that is pretty sparse and in diffuse light like in the demo.

Still looks pretty incredible, but as expected it requires close inspection to actually understand how much is being done

Imo raytracing looks nothing special.

If i want to see real life, i just go out. If games look look the same, it gets boring BECAUSE while it looks real, player usually cant destroy the world.

So being in real looking game is sad, as static world feels like hands are tied and cant do anything else than in real world

Like drive throught a wall or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back