The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I recently watched the first season of Star Trek Discovery. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Few nice twists in it haha and. I see the second season is starting in a week or so, so I had good timing on this. Now I'm watching the Orville. Has anyone seen this. It's a weird show. It has very much a Star Trek: Next Gen vibe to it with very different and sometimes over the top humour added to it. I am enjoying this as well. Planning to start the first season of Expanse soon. I don't know anything about it, other than people seem to like it in this thread.
Yep I've been watching both. I really enjoy Seth Macfarlane's work, even if some of it is somewhat campy but I'm a huge Family Guy fan as well. They're very different takes on Star Trek, of course Orville being much closer to NG in vibe whilst Discovery a far more serious take with a modern JJ.Abrahms era Trek feel (complete with dark rooms and lens flares).

I really like both shows for different reasons and had excellent opening seasons IMO.

Planning to start the first season of Expanse soon. I don't know anything about it, other than people seem to like it in this thread.
Best Sci-fi TV show in a long long time. Far more rooted in reality than your standard SF TV content.

Best Sci-fi TV show in a long long time. Far more rooted in reality than your standard SF TV content.

Sounds interesting. It's funny though I have zero knowledge about it, the premise, what year is it supposed to be, is it in space or even the actors. I have no clue, at least I haven't been spoiled :D

I recently watched the first season of Star Trek Discovery. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Few nice twists in it haha and. I see the second season is starting in a week or so, so I had good timing on this. Now I'm watching the Orville. Has anyone seen this. It's a weird show. It has very much a Star Trek: Next Gen vibe to it with very different and sometimes over the top humour added to it. I am enjoying this as well. Planning to start the first season of Expanse soon. I don't know anything about it, other than people seem to like it in this thread.

Enjoyed it as well. I can understand why hardcore trekkers aren't down with the show, though. Despite its namesake, there's very little discovery in Discovery. There's lot's of war though, and the Prime Directive is apparently more of a guideline than a rule here. Gene Roddenberry's Trek was bright and hopeful. This is almost entirely dark and hopeless. I wonder how they're gonna explain why the Federation never bothered to implement Spore drives into their other vessels, in particular their flag ships (which actually went and discovered things), by the way. Seems like it could have been helpful.

Sounds interesting. It's funny though I have zero knowledge about it, the premise, what year is it supposed to be, is it in space or even the actors. I have no clue, at least I haven't been spoiled :D
Good, go into it without any preconceptions or understanding of the setting :)

Enjoyed it as well. I can understand why hardcore trekkers aren't down with the show, though. Despite its namesake, there's very little discovery in Discovery. There's lot's of war though, and the Prime Directive is apparently more of a guideline than a rule here. Gene Roddenberry's Trek was bright and hopeful. This is almost entirely dark and hopeless. I wonder how they're gonna explain why the Federation never bothered to implement Spore drives into their other vessels, in particular their flag ships (which actually went and discovered things), by the way. Seems like it could have been helpful.

I agree, I find myself being more forgiving for stuff like that as I age :) Definitely thought about the spore drive issue and apparently someone has a sibling now that we never heard about? Other stuff as well, but honestly I don't let those bother me basically at all. I try to watch each series as a separate entity without taking too much baggage from them to the other side. The timeline they have chosen has kind of put them in a box, but I think they have done fairly good job maneuvering with it.

Discovery is a disgrace, just poops on canon & fans, on top of that its got JJ verse/new Star Wars grade super shitty writing, questionable design choices & some terrible acting.
The time-period is no excuse.
It was their choice to go there & an obviously extremely difficult place to tread without pissing off the fans.
IMO they should have gone for a post-TMP/pre-Enterprise C era: most of the Federation ships & newer tech thats out of order in pre-Cage era would fit perfectly there and its much less canon restricted.

Orville is great though, its poking fun at ST:NG but simultaneously a loving tribute to it & managing to address a bunch of fairly serious sci-fi type issues, not always with happy endings.
One thing I feel is a bit off is the amount of 'character development' episodes early on, especially for the 'Worf' character & Season2 is starting off with more of those, slightly suspicious its actually a subtle running gag though.

The Expanse is exceptional, anyone know when Season3 is due?

Last edited:
I don't want to subscribe for this one show.

Sign out the DVD/BluRays from your library. Most libraries in the US now have ST Discovery season 1 available.

I agree, I find myself being more forgiving for stuff like that as I age :) Definitely thought about the spore drive issue and apparently someone has a sibling now that we never heard about? Other stuff as well, but honestly I don't let those bother me basically at all. I try to watch each series as a separate entity without taking too much baggage from them to the other side. The timeline they have chosen has kind of put them in a box, but I think they have done fairly good job maneuvering with it.

Yep. Still, a more cerebral Star Trek show would have been way cooler than yet another dark and violent drama with some looming threat of a big bad guy if you ask me. ST used to be fairly unique in that regard. Discovery is, unfortunately, just another modern tv show, and compared to other shows - even other SCI-FI shows - it's really boilerplate at best. This isn't a show I've watched because I was eager for more Star Trek. This is a show I've watched because there were no more episodes of The Expanse.

Last edited:
Lorca was fantastic. Now they just need to give me a full-time Mirror Universe series (been wanting one for decades now). Skirts, orgies, sushi enemies, and all other manner of depravities. :V

For the Emperor! :devilish:

wait.

Last edited:
He was the best part of the show. That said, I was disappointed he turned out to be
the secret asshole captain of the mirror, mirror universe in the end. Even though I really liked those episodes. Kinda wished he'd simply been a very different kind of captain. Unfortunately he's probably gone now and all we're left with is the dreadfully boring Michael Burnham character to carry the whole thing.

Last edited:
Agree Lorca is the best bit but thats not really saying too much.
part of the shitty writing is that his story arc (and really the arc of the whole season1) should have been spread across 2 or even 3 seasons instead of squished & rushed through in 1 season.

THANKS A TON for everyone mentioning Discovery! it is great indeed! hahaha

it eats my evening beat saber time hahaha
Now, that is serious... :D

-----------------------
I finished with Siren. As I said, it's a bit juvenile, but hey, it's entertaining, the story is not so bad and it has mermaids! :) The not-very-supernatural approach makes it a bit different, as well. One thing I found a bit creepy was that the name of the mermaid was Ryn... which is exactly backwards the name of one of the characters of a novel I started writing five years ago, Nyr. A mermaid story, as well.

I look forward to watching the second season.

Back