Movie Reviews 2.0

Well we’re a just after halfway through A Quiet Place. We literally just had to have a break cause it was so bloody scary. That should give an idea of how scary this is. Brilliant.

Well we’re a just after halfway through A Quiet Place. We literally just had to have a break cause it was so bloody scary. That should give an idea of how scary this is. Brilliant.

It's a good movie. I'm not a big fan of horror/scary genre (too predictable and button-pressy) but I did enjoy that one.

Lol! :D

*watches movie*
*wow, I needs a break*:runaway::runaway:
*lemme post about it in B3D*
*Ok, I'm ready again, bring it on!* :cool:

Just came back from the Queen movie and it's great.

Good acting and even Freddy's portrayal is a job well done. Malek definitely did a good job.

Recommend seeing if not just to hear a lot of Queen music.

I remember the first cassette tape I got for my birthday was Innuendo. Don't remember how old I was but must have been 5 or 6 I think.

and there wasnt that much music in the film

Sounds like a well done/balanced movie then. I wouldn't want to pay any money to watch 2 hours of music videos in a less comfortable environment.

I saw the Spiderman multi-verse movie the other day with my son. Was one of the best comic-style movies I've seen, as far as adapting common comic drawing style into a movie. The mixed animation styles were most of the time excellent and really added to the style, the rest of the time very disjointed and difficult to watch. Some parts were quite smooth and other parts, especially fight scenes, seemed to be rendered at 10fps and sped up really fast if that makes sense. Some layers of the scenes were also weird with some portions and backgrounds having blue/red edges like a 3D movie mixed in with normal models. It was a very mixed level of enjoyment for the visuals, but I loved most of it.

Excellent stuff.

Some layers of the scenes were also weird with some portions and backgrounds having blue/red edges like a 3D movie mixed in with normal models. It was a very mixed level of enjoyment for the visuals, but I loved most of it.
I'm not sure if what you are addressing is the same thing, but there was a stylistic choice in the visuals where elements like depth of field blur were tweaked to resemble off register paper printing--where misalignment in the press can cause a fringe of ink dots belonging to one channel or another to shift slightly outside the ink lines. The effect of having fringes of one color like blue or red isolated like that was adopted by the film's production designer.

Even a casual observer will be able to tell that Into the Spider-Verse looks more like a comic book than any other film—animated or live action—that came before it. Thought Bubbles, Ben-Day dots, and Hatching all deliver a distinct style. But viewers might not realize that the film’s background blur and occasional red and blue lines indicating a depth of field are an even more subtle comic-book reference. When developing the look for the film, production designer Justin Thompson drew inspiration from dye blur when “pages are printed off register.” As Rodney Rothman said: “We like the idea that we were taking things that were mistakes in comic books and making them part of the language of the movie.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...r-eggs-references-callbacks-behind-the-scenes

I'm not sure if what you are addressing is the same thing, but there was a stylistic choice in the visuals where elements like depth of field blur were tweaked to resemble off register paper printing--where misalignment in the press can cause a fringe of ink dots belonging to one channel or another to shift slightly outside the ink lines. The effect of having fringes of one color like blue or red isolated like that was adopted by the film's production designer.
Yep that's exactly it, thanks. I know it was obviously a design choice but the details behind it are interesting. Personally I don't think it works well in motion and was very disorienting.

I agree with the statement that it looks more like a comic book than any other film, and it's amazing what they achieved IMO.

Weirdest thing, I was watching Luther (the BBC show) the other day, and I gasped when I saw my neighbour playing a small role - so random - and it turns out she also plays a role in Bohemian Rhapsody, and she's done quite a lot of stuff in a few british movies and TV shows. Even Doctor Who! SO random.
I didn't even know she was an actress until last week, after 7 years of us living literally next to each other!!

Last edited:
Saw Alita Battle Angel on IMAX 3D, loved it. Movie is flawed but the positives more than make up for it imo, the main character is well developed and genuine, the action and world-building are top-notch. Definitely recommending seeing this on the big screen. Going to see this a second time myself.

Last edited:
No Uncanny Valley from the fake eyes?

Not really for me, no. I think it was really well done and there's a reason behind that as well which I thought explained enough in the movie. Didn't really bother me while watching :)

Back