NVIDIA opens GSync

NVIDIA will support VESA adaptive sync on select monitors that pass quality assurance testing, they will be supported through a driver update, and branded GSync compatible

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-07%20at%2012.17.38%20AM_575px.png

ACER XFA240, ACER XZ321Q, ACER XG270HU, ACER XV253KASUS, Agon AG241QG4, AOC G2590FX, BenQ XL2740, ASUS MG278Q, ASUS XG248, ASUS VG258Q, ASUS XG258, and ASUS VG278Q.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...c-monitors-first-compatible-models-announced/

If the monitor is not GSync compatible, you can still force it to run Gysnc through the control panel at your own risk, which means GSync now runs on EVERY FreeSync monitor

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We’ll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

Last edited:
NVIDIA has officially adopted Adaptive-sync.
They've tested 400 displays so far, of which 12 got official "G-sync compatible" stamp aka works automatically, on the rest user can manually enable support and see how it goes. NVIDIA claims they're going to test every single Adaptive-sync (FreeSync) display out there to grant more stamps if applicable.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

My planned PC upgrade path is new montior first and a new card a year or so after next gen consoles drop. It'd be nice if I can buy a adaptive frame rate monitor that's card agnostic.

Oooh, this is nice. I was sticking with AMD because of Freesync... Next-next gen, we'll see then...

"Opens" as far as I can see is "opens the possibility for manufacturers to apply for compatibility".
There's a slide saying they tested 400 monitors but only passed 12, and Anandtech is unsure if nVidia is charging the manufacturers for the compatibility flag in their drivers.

I see this more as nVidia seeing how g-sync is rapidly losing traction so they're looking at other ways to profit from adaptive sync. And now they're trying to make money from what should be VESA's free and open standard, by piggy-backing on existing FreeSync monitors.

At least there's a manual override in the drivers for "non-compliant monitors", though that was something that people would be able to hack in a matter of hours/days regardless (just change monitor ID to a supported model).
So it's still good news I guess.

The big question is - do FreeSync 2 displays work too? Samsung for example lists couple of their displays supporting FreeSync 2 and specifically mention FreeSync isn't on the list. While FreeSync 2 includes all the functionality of FreeSync, it's also more than just that

HDR and Low latency for HDR, yes ? Because LFC is already working with some freesync (1) displays.

And I don't think HDR is linked to VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, so, I guess nVidia will support HDR with their own marketing, and not use FreeSync 2 for that..

Why would they do this ? do they intend to drop their G-sync tech in the future (admitting the superiority of adaptive sync not needing additional hardware) ? Or did they do this because of complaints from their GPU customers that don't have expensive g-sync monitors ?

Why would they do this ? do they intend to drop their G-sync tech in the future (admitting the superiority of adaptive sync not needing additional hardware) ? Or did they do this because of complaints from their GPU customers that don't have expensive g-sync monitors ?

The optimistic scenario is that new games come with object space shading and framedrops will be solved for real.

Because LFC is already working with some freesync (1) displays.

AFAIK, LFC on Freesync enables automatically whenever the lowest refresh rate is half the highest refresh rate.
E.g. if your monitor supports refresh rates between 40Hz and 75Hz, LFC won't enable. If it the window is increased to 40-80Hz, LFC will enable.

This means you can easily enable LFC on monitors that would otherwise not support it, by tweaking its refresh rate window using CRU.
My LG 34UC88 only supports a stupidly narrow 55-75Hz window, but with CRU I widened it to 34-78Hz, effectively enabling LFC.

The fact that they require monitor vendors to submit to a certification (along with a fee, potentially ?) harms the technology's awarness.

Many users may never know that they can improve their gameplay experience just by flipping a switch

Edit : does AMD does this too? Is AdaptiveSync turned on automatically in the drivers if the monitor supports it (but has no declared Freesync support) ?

More details here:

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

So most FreeSync monitors fail the validation on account of not supporting a good range of VRR.
The fact that they require monitor vendors to submit to a certification (along with a fee, potentially ?) harms the technology's awarness.
AMD requires the same thing with FreeSync 2.

Back