is eINK tablet worth it? mainly for reading manga/comic

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
it seems most use cases are for reading text books, but i wonder how good is it for manga?

I currently use 11,6inch 16:9 windows tablet and i really dont like the glare and heavy. But when i look at eink tablets.. for the price, they have really low spec compared to LCD tablets.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it works great for me. It's super legible, much more comfortable than a tablet or phone, and it's battery lasts weeks, even when using it with LED illumination all the time. I also have a plug-in for chrome with which I can e-mail PDFs of whatever article I wanna read to my kindle (properly formated to it) in a single click.
The performance is as good as it has to be. It's not like the screen tech could keep up with anything over what it is already doing. I recommend 100%

The main benefit of eInk is legibility of text and far less strain on the eyes over long periods compared to regular screens. For comics though it's different and I don't think it's a good technology for it.

The latest Paperwhite is great for manga, especially since the 32gb option is available outside of Japan now. I just wish they would work on comixology integration.

For reading books and for black and white Manga (there's still a lot of that), E-ink is fantastic. Albeit graphics slow down E-ink based readers to a lesser or greater extent depending on the reader. As Malo says, this is due to far better readability and far less strain on the eyes.

For color Manga, a tablet is a better choice, IMO, but a B&W E-ink reader is doable as well.

Regards,
SB

Eink is way better than tablets for reading. I wish that the color versions had gone somewhere, but they never did. Mirasol was similar ad around ages ago and there are new version of color eink, but thanks to the behemoth amazon nothing is really progressing along that path. A prime (hehe) example of why letting companies get too big is problematic in terms of innovation. If amazon ever decides to do a color eink reader they will make rapid progress, but amazon has little incentive to do so.

Dunno about manga. But for books I love my Kindle. Battery lasts for weeks, no eye strain, no interruptions or distractions, small and light. Not too pricey either (ofc Amazon makes a profit off the books you buy).

I gave up and use the funds to buy 1080p 40 inch Chinese TV.

It's horrible, but cheap (cheaper than 32inch 768p Samsung)

Got inkbook explore.

8inch eink tablet for 140 dollars.

It's very light to hold, slow as snails, and have random ghost touch. But it works well for reading most manga.

I think 9-10 inch will be the sweet spot for reading manga.

Anyway, their support told me to ship the tablet back to them to be serviced but it's too much of a hassle for me.

Asked for a way to open the tablet, they ANSWERED!

So I repaired it in like 15 minutes haha.

Not fully repaired, it's still randomly do ghost touch but it's much rarer

Back