If the original Xbox used edram instead

Little offtopic but, to extend my post, after the 4200 i upgraded to a 9700pro, ripped through HL2 and the like like no other GPU at the time. Nvidias FX is better to be forgotten. Axp and later A64 rocking too, thats the kind of competition nvidia/intel needs today to harden the **** up a little :p

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1416/5
Not too hopeful about it. :p

hm... Ti 4400 should be slightly above Geforce 3 Ti500, I think, although the 4 series has 2 vertex shader pipes (NV2A was probably somewhat more of an underclocked 4 series in that regard).

There's probably a fairly significant CPU dependency for the early stencil shadow games as well.

I suppose we'd be looking at 480p30, so that's maybe the basis for their attempt to port to NV2A along with the drastically altered campaign and various cut-backs (no flashlight shadowing, texture compromise) to accommodate the lower console specs.

Doom3 on Xbox is definitely down around 20-30fps. It's acceptable for what it is. It's also not a straight port. It has simplifications to fit in RAM.

For that matter most games are around 30fps on Xbox...

BTW, I done did searching!
NV30 vs. NV2A
I wouldn't really consider it something less. All it lacks in comparison to the GF4 is basically LMAII and Accuview, but it keeps the quad-cache and gains certain geometry features that are present in the NV30 (one I know of being the ability to make signed stencil buffer additions). I also believe the NV2A may have more static instructions and constants. I've heard that the NV25 is not capable of collision detection on-chip using vertex shaders. I do remember the devs for Wreckless saying that the NV2A's vertex shaders could in fact be used for collision detection, something that the NV30 is able to do.

Xbox2 to use r520 derivative vpu? ;)
Wrong way around. NV2A was largely derived from NV2x, but had some NV3x features. NV25 only had one ALU per pipeline, whilst NV2A had two (like NV30). NV25 could only output 1 Z/Stencil per clock, whilst NV2A could do two (like NV30). There was also mention that NV2A had some NV30 vertex processing capabilities, but I've not actually heard what they were.

Last edited:
I wonder what XBOX would've been capable of if Gigapixel had won the GPU contract instead of Nvidia.

An overview of Gigapixel's GP-3.

6nsW2zO.jpg

IIRC, had GigaPixel won, they were supposed to design a GP-4 or custom GP-3 for Xbox.

I'mma let you finish, but FX5200 was the bestest geforce of all time.

I had a Go5200 in my 12" G4 PowerBook and I played the hell out of Halo on that thing. It was a good Mac port too, you could literally shut the lid mid-game, go to sleep, then open it the next day and just carry right on. :yes:

Back