AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2017-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a NAVI 12 chip launching a few months before NAVI 10 but still, the former is not even included in PCI ID databases...

I wonder if Sony can reveal the PS5 before AMD showing Navi. Like, if sony goes too deep in the gpu spec, it'll spoil amd announcement ?

More Navi rumours

Navi 12

Segment
- Mid-range (performance like Radeon RX Vega)
Hardware - 40 shader clusters = 2560 shader units
Chip - Slightly smaller than Polaris 10/20 (= appr. 200-200mm²)
Release - End of Q2 2019

Navi 10
Segment - High-end (performance like GeForce RTX 2080)
Hardware - Unknown
Chip - Unknown
Release - Middle of Q3 2019

Sounds like fairy tales and nonsense dreams. A sub 10% yield for both Navi and Vega? and a 6 month turnaround for the AIB's... nah don't think so.

I wonder if Sony can reveal the PS5 before AMD showing Navi. Like, if sony goes too deep in the gpu spec, it'll spoil amd announcement ?
In the past, AMD's clients had the autonomy to decide their announcement schedules. It was frequently the reverse, where AMD would defer to them when it came to discussing features.
One example of this deference was Bonaire. It was the first Sea Islands GPU, and it was launched significantly earlier than the consoles. Various features with implications for the consoles like TrueAudio were simply not mentioned or exposed for some time.

apparently a leaked footage from ps5 on gt running at 8k 120 fps is showing here
It's a prerendered movie for a demo of the 8K TV. That's patently obvious - an RTX 2080 Ti couldn't produce those visuals at 4K60, meaning you'd need at least 8x the performance of RTX 2080 Ti (4x resolution and 2x framerate), which is an utterly ludicrous suggestion.

Please apply some common sense to posts on B3D. Inordinately improbable suggestions should not be posted unless coupled with inordinately solid proof.

Edit - I thought it was claimed to involve raytracing, but there's no such claim. The video quality is so dire it's hard to see what techniques are being used, but the reflections do look fake to me at times between the blurring and the shaky cam and the compression, at which point what's attainable by an RTX 2080 Ti is unknown. But regardless, the post and video is irrelevant to this thread about Navi without 1) clear footage and tech details and 2) confirmation it's from Navi.

Last edited:
Please apply some common sense to posts on B3D. Inordinately improbable suggestions should not be posted unless coupled with inordinately solid proof.

It's not inordinately improbable but there's some context missing.

This video of GT Sport in an 8K TV came about a year after Polyphony Digital claimed GT Sports' models were overspecced and ready for 8K, eventually able to be put into future consoles.

https://www.finder.com.au/gran-turismo-8k-playstation-5

People put the article and the video side-by-side and made assumptions (edit: also because the TV is a Sony prototype in a Sony stand for a Japanese tech conference).
This doesn't mean the PS5 is going to target 8K, but it could mean that the next Gran Turismo in PS5 will support 8K.
It's not out of the realm of possibilities, considering this game series was the only one that drove the PS3 at 1080p AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
8K is a waste of resources for rasterization on a single 65" or smaller screen. That won't be all use cases.

For example in VR, 8K isn't even ideal. Though I think VR is probably going towards the route of eye-tracking + focused central resolution + low peripheral resolution.

It's a prerendered movie for a demo of the 8K TV. That's patently obvious - an RTX 2080 Ti couldn't produce those visuals at 4K60, meaning you'd need at least 8x the performance of RTX 2080 Ti (4x resolution and 2x framerate), which is an utterly ludicrous suggestion.
Could also just be 8Kinda reconstruction (if even). I mean, 120fps would be pretty darn good for a temporal solution mixed with MSAA (geometry samples).

Too many assumptions either way.

You seem to take it kind of personally. Angry ? C´mon ..... You´re trying to convince me that HBM with packaging and TSV won´t cost more and calling me perplexed ?

We already established (long ago) that HBM memory cost more than GDDR6. We also already established that AMD offered HBM on a $499 card.
Subsequently, it is now a year later and HBM prices/market are different, because HBM 2Ghz (and 2.2Ghz) are now out.

Nobody is angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back