PlayStation classic 99 dollars (3rd December 2018)

I guess the word got out that this thing was a real turd. Huge discounts already available for the PS Classic. For those willing to hack it and maximize its potential that way, the device becomes somewhat attractive again, but for your average consumer who has no intention of doing that, this thing really bombed hard. Hopefully Sega takes note of what Sony did wrong, and uses those lessons to release the inevitable Dreamcast classic. Sega owns the rights to most of the great Dreamcast games, and I believe a quality Dreamcast classic could sell for $99 if it has the majority of classic games loaded, and emulation is spot on. I would buy one.

The fans are so raving though that Sega will probably get ~100% sell-through to previous DC owners. ;) That'd be 10 million sales, equivalent to the combined sales or thereabouts of NES and SNES Classics (didn't realise those things sold as much as they did!).

PS Classic has bombed likely because 1) games haven't aged so well, 2) emulators are plentiful including on Sony consoles*, 3) Library was a head scratcher and very limited, and 4) it was crap and poor value. Even fixing 4) for launch, I doubt it'd have sold much, which perhaps is why Sony didn't bother much with it, expecting the same. Maybe they set out to make expecting loads of top-drawer games, found they couldn't get licensing, and decided to chuck out a half-hearted effort purely to add to the execs Christmas bonuses?

* You can't put a NES cart in a Wii U or Switch, so old NES games that people didn't play on unofficial emulation went unplayed for decades before NES Classic became available. PS1 discs could have been played up until a few years ago just by putting them in your PlayStation, so there's not been the same nostalgia build up. Put Driver in your PS3 and it's an ugly mess and you realise the excitement and fun of the time can't be reclaimed, without having to buy a $100 toy console.

Last edited:
I would get a Dreamcast Mini for sure! Hell, I've been contemplating getting a second hand one for ages, but I have too much self control lol. A Dreamcast Mini with several games included would surely turn me over :D

The fans are so raving though that Sega will probably get ~100% sell-through to previous DC owners.

Dreamcast life was cut short too, and your right about the the majority of hardcore Sega fans would likely buy one. It has such a unique library of games that I think even a lot of Nintendo and Sony fans from that era may be interested as well. If they could create really good emulation that also boosted the resolution to 720p or better would also make it that much more attractive. These micro consoles are expected to put up huge numbers. If Sega were to roll out a Dreamcast classic, I would bet expectations would target a few million units sold, and if sales are hot they will continue to manufacture units until demand starts to waiver. Sega is rolling out the official Genesis classic next year. If it does well, I would think Sega would want to continue this gravy train with a Dreamcast classic. Or maybe thats just me hoping. ;-P

Back