Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Show me an open world game with these asset quality.

SC_HH (1).jpg
SC_HH (2).jpg

CIG itself said that they make the assets of more polygons than is currently done in the Industry.

Paradigms shift with new console gens. Even if everything now is relatively beyond the detail level of contemporary titles, after the transition to next gen matures, the average game graphic quality will have leapfrogged what this title is doing now. It will look like an extremely detailed last-gen-plus game, but still somewhat last-gennish. But it's ok, by then, it will only take them another 15 years to update their assets to then-current standards, which will also not be current standards anymore by the time they are done.

I'm curious. And as I said, the budget also plays a major role today and I doubt that SONY will put hundreds of millions will into one next gen game.

Last edited:
edit: nevermind, it would just be reduced to an asset quality pissing match between completely different games. Many threads regressed from the same thing.

Last edited:
CIG itself said that they make the assets of more polygons than is currently done in the Industry.

More than what's currently done or more than what's already in several actually finished games being sold for years now?

By the time SQ42 releases in 2021 (if we're lucky), it'll be at least a full year after the games being currently made are deployed.

Eh don't get the pissing match. Star Citizen looks great and I am sure it will look great for a few years to come just like all platforms have great games. Yes some genres are harder to make look good compared to others but it really don't matter. Its about if you enjoy the game or not

The assets are high-poly & high-res, technically high quality, I'm not a big fan of much of the art style, they spend endless man-hours pointlessly re-iterating already done stuff & making cliche car ads but meanwhile & more importantly most of the gameplay is TBA/TBD but definitely will be All Things to All People.

What game?
There is actually stuff to do in the alpha now . Trading works as does mining. You can have fun with dog fighting too although some of its still broken. I still think the PU needs a few more years (like 2-3) to be ready for release. However it seems that they will have the funding for at least that long and if they are able to keep with the SQ42 roadmap there is a lot more content on that side that will be brought back into the PU. Of course that's also 2-3 years away at this point.

It will certainly be a long development time, longer than almost any game I know of. However its also an ambitious game. While we can debate graphics and what not all day long there is no denying that the scope of the game is quite large. Vast Universe , Dogfighting , Boarding mechanics , FPS , Mining , scavaging and so on. There is a ton of stuff in this game that doesn't exist in other games. GTA5 , RDR2 , Spiderman or any of the MS / Nintendo stuff out there doesn't really come close to what this game is bringing . If CIG can make this happen it will be a huge achievement. I just don't have faith in Chris Roberts but hey maybe he redeems himself or maybe an outside company comes in to finish the game. Whatever it is , it looks like from the financials they released we got another year or them working on the game at least before money runs out

I agree, the polycount appears to be unmatched.

I'm curious to see what the next generation will look like. I am relatively sure of one thing. The degree of polygon per object will not increase dramatically for most environment assets, probes etc. (in comparison to the current best titles). The amount of assets in the scene will rather increase. Do not forget. In the field of video game graphics, quantity is also a form of quality. The more particles you can render, the more assets, characters, hairs etc. you can render in a scene, the better.
In SC in the first perspective (where you're much closer to the assets) the surfaces of dirty objects (where a dirt shader is placed over the asset) currently tend to limit the asset quality the most. But for this and for hard surface and man-made objects they want to improve the shaders. For vegetation you can still use tessellation (will also be added).

As far as the environments, their assets and textures are concerned, the used of RAM capacity will not increase by much in the next generation. A lot can be done by procedural techniques. But much more RAM is needed for volumetric effects and so on.

Last edited:
Interesting info. They threw almost everything from Squadron 42 away in 2016.

I think it was somewhere around 15:30 min.

Last edited:
Back