Microsoft Edge *spin-off from Consoles*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Chromium... is not owned by Google but has been adopted by google
Chromium and Blink do come with a free, open-source license, but for all intents and purposes they are owned and developed by Google, with the help of the Chromium community.

Free/open/open-source licenses are copyright licenses and the source code is still copyright-protected - exclusive rights assumed by the creator are not waived or transferred, but rather licensed to anyone on permissive terms.

Last edited:
Chrome is really starting to piss me off right now. After a day or two being open with multiple tabs and multiple windows, it'll just stop responding to user input. Task manager shows it as still running as normal (no, no responding tag), but you can't actually do anything with it. Can't move the windows, can't select other tabs, can't minimize or restore windows, etc. Can't close Chrome normally.

The only thing I can do is end task on it and start it up again. Thank goodness Chrome at least saves the status of the tabs, except for the last one opened before it goes unresponsive, otherwise I'd be really raging right now.

So much for my attempt to move away from Edge for mainline work and use Chrome instead. Piece of casual rubbish, just as bad as Edge but in different ways (for example, drains excessive battery on mobile devices, unless they FINALLY fixed that. It's been a problem for many years).

Regards,
SB

https://medium.com/@jeremy.noring/did-google-cripple-edges-youtube-performance-ce5169d3e5f4 (via
https://www.thurrott.com/google/195632/no-virginia-google-didnt-undermine-microsoft-edge )

I’m a video engineer who has written a video player from scratch, and I have independently positioned a blank div on top of our video element. Here’s source code for disbelievers (apologies in advance for the Angular):

<div class=”ie-idiot-shield noselect” ng-if=”customSkinSupported” ng-click=”togglePlayPause($event)”></div>

// IE has these insane keypress handlers that totally steal *everything*, and do hideous things to all of our logic.
// So far I’ve found no way to disable the player when it has focus. So we use this shield to overlay a faux window
// on top of IE to prevent anyone from actually selecting it.
.ie-idiot-shield {
position: absolute;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
background: rgba(0,0,0,0.0);
z-index: 3;
}

Here’s the git commit message (8/2015):

Finally, a fix for IE’s insane keypress logic
By overlaying an unselectable transparent element on top of my video element, I can effectively prevent someone ever from selecting it, and this avoids a huge amount of keypress nightmare logic that currently exists. I’ll clean up the other hacky crap in the html5 lib in a bit, but this should make my life way easier

...a few things to keep in mind:

1. The statement by the MSFT intern smacks of someone who too quickly attributes malice where no such accusation is appropriate.

2. A “state of the art” rendering engine? Well, apparently it isn’t “state of the art” enough to handle a blatantly obvious test case. It can’t handle something on top of it. That isn’t “state of the art.”

3. I’m sorry, what precisely is wrong with positioning another HTML element on top of a video element? Come on. The whole point of the video element is it’s a legit part of the DOM instead of some mangy <object> tag like we had prior to HTML5, and that comes with all of those considerations. It is 100% legit to put a blank div on top of the video element, or nearly any other element for that matter. Welcome to the web.

4. Why would the already dominant browser in the market go out of their way to cripple some minor player in the field? And to cripple them on a single video streaming site (what about netflix, hulu, prime, etc.)? And knowing full well that 95% of web users honestly don’t give a shit? It’s not like Joe Sixpack is busting out a stopwatch while he’s watching reruns of Full House.
still, there is something going on, whether Edge is the culprit or not, that's a different story.

But this video renders like at 15-20 frames per second or less if played at 4k on Edge, while it plays totally smooth on Chrome (i7 CPU + 1050Ti GPU, 16GB of RAM, so it should do fine). This didnt happen some time ago, when I played 4k videos on Edge just fine -autumn of 2017 after purchasing a 4k monitor-.

It is kind of weird to have something like background / in window play hidden behind a paywall on iOS all of a sudden. And I was really looking forward to being able to pay to not see adds, but now it is here it is linked to YouTube Music and other stuff and I am totally not interested in that at all (I much prefer Spotify) and it costs 17 euros. That is way too much. Under 10 would have been much better and not having ads I am pretty sure their ad revenue is not even close to 10 per month. Plus it would be crazy to have to pay the same amount again for my son to skip ads under his account.

I don't think many folks consider Google to be some kind of highly ethical company, especially considering the business model is based on exploitation of users for advertising.
well, I usually hear good things about Google. But a fellow forumer replied this to me in a thread I created -on another forum- and it got my attention.

I am only telling you that I work in a sector where a Google decision makes hundreds of companies disappear. They are tyrants, transparency is non-existent for them, it is impossible to receive feedback from them or contact them even if you are a relatively large company. The Internet is their fucking shooting range and they do whatever they want with it. If they enter the world of video games we have to do everything we can to make them leave soon.

I do not think Yoshida and company are shitting their pants for Google. Look at Amazon and gaming, has that had any impact whatsoever?

some quick testing -writing the post here with the new version-. Memory wise, it's odd, with the same websites and pages open, sometimes I get about the same memory usage on both, sometimes it's about 80-90MB memory advantage/disadvantage on either version, so it can change. Both are very fast.

Youtube shows different stuff. Things like animated thumbnail videos do work now -it never worked on the previous version of Edge-.

Also my biggest gripe with Edge, the fact that images couldn't be copied -I mean the addresses- and things like that, has been fixed, now you can even search an image using the image you are watching.

edit; The only feature I am missing the most now is that the previous version of Edge is the best ePUB reader for me -easy to use- and this new version doesn't read ePUB files yet
edit2: the New Tab homepage looks a lot better compared to before, the design is more beautiful

Last edited:
Sucks that they gave in and abandoned Edge. It's GUI is leaps and bounds beyond the rest IMO (and by the looks of it Chromium-based Edge won't have the same GUI) and more importantly, it's not hogging half my memory from couple tabs like every single Chromium-based browser seems to do.

edit: also, like some other browser maker (Mozilla?) said, this just transfers even more power over the internet to Google, which definitely isn't a good thing.

Personally I think Microsoft's Chromium Edge is better than Google Chrome. I had been using Chrome for a while but smooth scrolling was always a pain (even with extensions) when new pages jerked up and down before settling. Happy to say this does not happen with Edge and seems to provide an overall better browser experience.

I noticed the Edge Dev build this week includes two interesting features:
  • Added support for Dolby Vision playback.
  • Enabled users of Windows Mixed Reality to view 360° videos on VR headsets.
Should be in the Edge stable build in a few weeks.

Printing is still broken in Edge though, just like it is in Chrome. Never possible to get the same layout as shown on the web page, and print preview blanks the 2nd page even though the actual print is OK.

Placed an order on Amazon and checked out my cart to complete my purchase. A popup appeared that said Microsoft Edge found 15 coupons and asked to proceed to automatically apply each until it found the best.
Took about 5 seconds, automatically filled in the coupon code and saved about $5.50 on a $42.00 purchase. Interesting feature I never expected and likely part of an AI inference beta program.

Placed an order on Amazon and checked out my cart to complete my purchase. A popup appeared that said Microsoft Edge found 15 coupons and asked to proceed to automatically apply each until it found the best.
Took about 5 seconds, automatically filled in the coupon code and saved about $5.50 on a $42.00 purchase. Interesting feature I never expected and likely part of an AI inference beta program.

It keeps offering me unusable coupons lol. Dunno why

Site compatibility-impacting changes coming to Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Development | Microsoft Docs
January 14, 2022
For functionality and compatibility reasons, Microsoft Edge adopts nearly all of the Chromium project's changes to the web platform. Microsoft remains in full control of the Microsoft Edge browser and may defer or reject changes. The Microsoft Edge team decides if the change benefits browser users.

Feature areas where Microsoft Edge plans to deviate from Chromium in release timing or behavior are noted in the following table. This table also highlights high-impact changes that the Microsoft Edge team is tracking.

Back