Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems that without E3 there’s a big loss of hype. It doesn’t need to be announced at E3, it just needed it’s presence there. And going on 2018 no psx. And no E3, but planning to launch in 2019 but letting their main competition have full stage ownership seems, off to say the least, the priorities need work. These launches only happen once a generation I can’t see someone thinking it’s yotally justifiable to skip E3 to save a million or so dollars when it could have large impacts down the line.

The risk reward doesn’t make any sense.
So you saved a million dollars or so, but now MS gets all of E3 to talk up their 2020 plans, and ensure their message is not cluttered by anything. All those 3P games looking for a big stage will have less options making the MS stage more likely.

I’d just ask why such a marketing plan would be green lighted. What’s to gain when there is so much to lose.

Honestly E3 is dying a slow death. I think Sony's biggest concerns was the leaks of games being shown at the prior E3 events. I mean, everyone and their momma knew what Sony had planned 2-3 days ahead of E3 2018, because of leaks.

Anyhow, Sony can still have an impact on E3 week by hosting it's own event during that week or after. Preferably after for greater effect.

I think Sony's biggest concerns was the leaks of games being shown at the prior E3 events. I mean, everyone and their momma knew what Sony had planned 2-3 days ahead of E3 2018, because of leaks.

You mean because of their E3 2017 show, their 2018 show was the same games they showed at 2017 but with lengthy intermissions between.

I expect no hardware specs at E3 2019.

Sony more than likely will have some material and demo showcasing upcoming hardware on the future of the Playstation brand. Spec Information of such hardware will be dependent on their targeted launch schedule of such new hardware. Hypothetically, if Sony is aiming for a March 2020 launch, a June-July 2019 Sony event for such hardware (it's specs) isn't out the realm of possibilities. If the traditional targeted launch window is for a late September or November, then no on such Information in 2019.

You mean because of their E3 2017 show, their 2018 show was the same games they showed at 2017 but with lengthy intermissions between.

That is exactly my point. The leaks de-hyped the 2018 E3 event as being nothing more than games shown or announced at E3 2017. I think Sony wants to have a more secure grip on officially announcing/showing wares.

I expect no hardware specs at E3 2019.

If the disc-less Xbox One ends up getting greenlit, it may see a release there, though. Somewhat related, I think GamePass will get a big push there and that they will officially announce GamePass for PC. Project Xcloud may get some time, as well.

Honestly E3 is dying a slow death. I think Sony's biggest concerns was the leaks of games being shown at the prior E3 events. I mean, everyone and their momma knew what Sony had planned 2-3 days ahead of E3 2018, because of leaks.

Anyhow, Sony can still have an impact on E3 week by hosting it's own event during that week or after. Preferably after for greater effect.
On E3 is dying a slow death, I think some people could make some points that would make this a reasonable debate on both sides. Sure, but that only implies to me that it makes sense for Sony to have skipped it any other year but a console launch year. And that's where I find it breaks the common sense rule.
What is the cost of being at E3? They announced PS4 NOT at E3. They did it on their own time. They continued pushing the hype for PS4 through E3. MS did the same with Xbox. Launched the console before E3 and pushed more communications, games and marketing during E3. You're telling me that this is a negative thing or that more leaks need to be handled before E3? I mean, by the time E3 comes around, PS5 should have been announced and showcased to the world.

What I don't understand is what Sony gains from all of this over what it loses. It takes a while to make consoles. They had pre-orders setup as early as July that are sold out instantly? So the plan is to reveal and instantly tell you next month it's on sale? Anyone else think this is crazy compared to having those numbers up front in July?

And even if it turned out this way and the internet melts, It's not like this master plan of skipping E3 and skipping 2018 PSX and having this monstrous reveal is going to kick MS out of the market for good. They're investing more now than ever. This isn't some 1-2 uppercut KO finish and MS is leaving the industry. What are people expecting from all of this by letting MS control E3? It's literally MS biggest forum right now. They are gonna go hard 2019 knowing Sony isn't there.

And for the record, Sony explicitly said they have no intentions of putting out anything during E3 week. I don't know about others, but MS is finishing this generation a lot better than how it started, I can't see how giving them more run way space to progress their momentum does Sony any good.

TLDR;

I have yet to read a single reason why this is a killer strategy that will work out better for Sony than attending E3.

I mean I've read a great deal of why they may not be interested in joining E3, but I've yet to see someone explain how this particular move is going to turn out better than just hosting E3 as they have for the last 25 years.

On E3 is dying a slow death, I think some people could make some points that would make this a reasonable debate on both sides. Sure, but that only implies to me that it makes sense for Sony to have skipped it any other year but a console launch year. And that's where I find it breaks the common sense rule.
What is the cost of being at E3? They announced PS4 NOT at E3. They did it on their own time. They continued pushing the hype for PS4 through E3. MS did the same with Xbox. Launched the console before E3 and pushed more communications, games and marketing during E3. You're telling me that this is a negative thing or that more leaks need to be handled before E3? I mean, by the time E3 comes around, PS5 should have been announced and showcased to the world.

What I don't understand is what Sony gains from all of this over what it loses. It takes a while to make consoles. They had pre-orders setup as early as July that are sold out instantly? So the plan is to reveal and instantly tell you next month it's on sale? Anyone else think this is crazy compared to having those numbers up front in July?

It's not like this master plan of skipping E3 and skipping 2018 PSX and having this monstrous reveal is going to kick MS out of the market for good. They're investing more now than ever. This isn't some 1-2 uppercut KO finish and MS is leaving the industry. What are people expecting from all of this by letting MS control E3?

And for the record, Sony explicitly said they have no intentions of putting out anything during E3 week. I don't know about others, but MS is finishing this generation a lot better than how it started, I can't see how giving them more run way space to progress their momentum does Sony any good.

TLDR;

I have yet to read a single reason why this is a killer strategy that will work out better for Sony than attending E3.

I mean I've read a great deal of why they may not be interested in joining E3, but I've yet to see someone explain how this particular move is going to turn out better than just hosting E3 as they have for the last 25 years.

There's a better place to have an in-depth discussion about this.

if Sony is aiming for a March 2020 launch, a June-July 2019 Sony event for such hardware (it's specs) isn't out the realm of possibilities. If the traditional targeted launch window is for a late September or November, then no on such Information in 2019.
I don't see any reason why Sony would give such a long lead time from announcement to release. Why depress the current sales of ps4 which is going strong?

Same for MS, Xbox is selling well at the moment, why depress it's sales with a very long lead time?
The only reason for MS, is if PS5 was 2019 and like the 4pro and 1X felt that they needed to combat the message with they have something coming.

All console sales are strong at the moment.

I don't see any reason why Sony would give such a long lead time from announcement to release. Why depress the current sales of ps4 which is going strong?

It was a hypothetical March 2020 launch as I mentioned. PS4 sales aren't going to be seriously harmed from announcing new hardware. I'm pretty sure the general public already knows new wares from Sony/Microsoft are coming soon. Those looking to purchase PS4/Pro or XBS/XBX will purchase those systems regardless of what's on the horizon. No different than any other consumer electronic device. Sony PS4 (worldwide sales) is pretty much guaranteed at this point to hit 100 million units sold by March 2019, so any new hardware talk in 2019 is just reiterating/strengthening Sony's position on pushing the PlayStation brand forward.

It was a hypothetical March 2020 launch as I mentioned. PS4 sales aren't going to be seriously harmed from announcing new hardware. I'm pretty sure the general public already knows new wares from Sony/Microsoft are coming soon. Those looking to purchase PS4/Pro or XBS/XBX will purchase those systems regardless of what's on the horizon. No different than any other consumer electronic device. Sony PS4 (worldwide sales) is pretty much guaranteed at this point to hit 100 million units sold by March 2019, so any new hardware talk in 2019 is just reiterating/strengthening Sony's position on pushing the PlayStation brand forward.
We don't even know when there coming and you think the general public has an incling?
The only time the general public will be aware is when it's formerly announced, until then all the speculation and talk is in the hard core circles.

The question is why even announce it with min 9 months lead time? What do you gain?
1X made sense, get the specs out due to 4pro, but otherwise I don't see the benefit, apart from it being nice for us.

We don't even know when there coming and you think the general public has an incling?
The only time the general public will be aware is when it's formerly announced, until then all the speculation and talk is in the hard core circles.

My statement had nothing to do with an exact date. But the "commonsense" understanding that new hardware is always over the horizon, especially for 5 year old hardware entering into the 6yr period. Consumers aren't totally clueless as some may think.

The question is why even announce it with min 9 months lead time? What do you gain?

Hypothetically if there was a March 2020 launch, announcing it 9-10 months ahead of time, starts to build anticipation for those looking towards new hardware, it gives developers an official timeframe on wrapping up their IPs on meeting the launch date (if that's the date their first IPs are targeting for), and it helps promote the brand name beyond the current hardware/software generation. As I stated before, consumers whom have their minds set on purchasing an PS4/Pro or XBS/XBX will do so, regardless of what's coming next.

I expect a spec drop at E3, especially if they feel really confident about being higher end than PS5 and the fact that they can be the story of E3 with Sony not participating.
If they launch the PS5 in March 2020 then a spec announcement during E3 period makes sense.

It also makes sense that Sony is avoiding E3 grounds in the specific year of announcing the PS5 because E3's organizers have a history of being super leaky.

If they launch the PS5 in March 2020 then a spec announcement during E3 period makes sense.

It also makes sense that Sony is avoiding E3 grounds in the specific year of announcing the PS5 because E3's organizers have a history of being super leaky.

It would be GDC Sony would worry about leaks in this hypothetical situation surely? PS4 Pro was kept entirely under wraps until GDC when all hell broke loose. A release in March 2020 would mean a wide disclosure of PS5 details to devs at GDC in March next year.

For me right now a March release in any year is at the bottom of the list.

I think there's a decent chance they're looking to replicate the PS4's launch next year.

Maybe the PS5. Hopefully a couple of PS5's: a portable that alters clockspeeds like the Switch, and a home console that's two portable SoC's glued together :D

It just seems that without E3 there’s a big loss of hype. It doesn’t need to be announced at E3, it just needed it’s presence there. And going on 2018 no psx. And no E3, but planning to launch in 2019 but letting their main competition have full stage ownership seems, off to say the least, the priorities need work. These launches only happen once a generation I can’t see someone thinking it’s yotally justifiable to skip E3 to save a million or so dollars when it could have large impacts down the line.

The risk reward doesn’t make any sense.
So you saved a million dollars or so, but now MS gets all of E3 to talk up their 2020 plans, and ensure their message is not cluttered by anything. All those 3P games looking for a big stage will have less options making the MS stage more likely.

I’d just ask why such a marketing plan would be green lighted. What’s to gain when there is so much to lose.

Not sure where the thought of Sony skipping E3 was about saving money? Personally I would have thought it was more to do with the logistics of having to fit into the E3 timetable and Sony wanted complete control. I suspect after 2013 they learned lessons and decided it wasn't worth the hassle with so much happening in such a short space of time if they could do their own presentation.

AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5

Overcooked is good, but it isn't AAA.

The rest of the specs all seem feasible, but nothing beyond any of this forum's more constrained guesses.

GPU: 14TF is reasonable when you consider variants of Vega64 can get close to that on an older node. And "some sort of RT" could refer to anything from marketing getting liberal with the term when referring to SSR, to a general push for compute based RT shadows.

Memory: 24GB of GDDR6 on a 384bit bus has pretty much been established as the minimum for requisite bandwidth. 32GB would be lovely, but 24 pretty much seems to be the minimum.

Btw, if there is any truth to those specs, I don't see the point in launching later than 2019.

https://www.cta.tech/News/Blog/Arti...esident-and-CEO-Dr-Lisa-Su-Discusses-Her.aspx

I think we're going to get some substantive details on Zen 2 consumer as well as Navi.

Q: Can you give us a sneak peek of what you will be discussing during your CES 2019 keynote?

"I am honored to be giving a keynote at CES this year. This is a major milestone for AMD, and I am really looking forward to sharing the story of some of our newest technologies and how they are driving tremendous opportunities and impact on the world around us.

"I will be joined by some very special guests on stage from different industries that we work with to share their passion around high-performance technologies and give a few examples of how deep partnerships can really accelerate the pace of innovation in the industry. Last but certainly not least, we will be making some exciting announcements about our next-generation products. That’s all I can share for now – you’ll have to join us on January 9 for the full story!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back