The cloud is just over the horizon [2018-2019]

game looks like a lot of fun. The destruction looks amazing to me and I loved the first game so I will be playing this day one

The destruction although not in the same levels as the original, it seems quite high. The game now looks much better to me than it used to.

Destruction is higher in the gameplay than the trailer. Buildings do get trashed. It's not as complex as the original demos with very small damage up to large pieces - there are clear, predefined shapes appearing here. That's no doubt part of the compression requirement - none of the pieces need to be described and can just be referred to as prefabs. It'll be interesting to see how well it fares in the wild.

Looking forwards though, if the original demo's can't be achieved over the internet, it shows more local power could be put to very good use for single player games with superb destruction.

I've played many current gen games for the past five years but this tops it for being the ugliest and jankiest game that I've seen:LOL:. Is this really what happens when you have to sacrifice literally everything just to get some kind of destruction going? Really not worth it man, but hell it's ugly as sin hahaha.
Sorry guys I need to control myself.

Destruction is higher in the gameplay than the trailer. Buildings do get trashed. It's not as complex as the original demos with very small damage up to large pieces - there are clear, predefined shapes appearing here. That's no doubt part of the compression requirement - none of the pieces need to be described and can just be referred to as prefabs. It'll be interesting to see how well it fares in the wild.

Looking forwards though, if the original demo's can't be achieved over the internet, it shows more local power could be put to very good use for single player games with superb destruction.
To be fair to them, there are game design limits that could be a factor here. No one wants to play a fully levelled city because you can’t hide anymore or break line of sight.
So I’m not necessarily sure if the statement that he destruction couldn’t be more ratcheted up is necessarily true.

If you compare the destruction in the video I linked to earlier, damage ranged from very small bullet holes to total destruction. I can't see any bullet-hole scale destruction here - it's all big-piece hole making. That's what I'm looking at. Sizes and variety of destruction in the original demos was clearly more complex than shown in the latest gameplay.

To be fair to them, there are game design limits that could be a factor here. No one wants to play a fully levelled city because you can’t hide anymore or break line of sight.
So I’m not necessarily sure if the statement that he destruction couldn’t be more ratcheted up is necessarily true.

Surely even a 'levelled' city still has places to hide...it won't be completely flat!

The physics don't seem to include moment of inertia. @28:11 there's a cylindrical structure that should have fallen over, but it's still standing.

Surely even a 'levelled' city still has places to hide...it won't be completely flat!
lol that can't possibly be good design at all, the game is about verticality as well, nothing vertical on rubble mountains

This whole thing was embarassing.

The game looks awful and the destruction doesn't look much better that what we can expect from a RF: Guerrilla system on current gen.

We see some big debris and small debris but we don't know how many tricks they can do, do the small debris really need to simulated on the server? I don't think so, they seem to have no gameplay purpose and they may disappear after a while.

The whole idea of "cloud based physical destruction" looked more like a marketing stunt for Azure services than anything else.

Who would use a huge amount of processing power to simulate destruction on a game that requires no subscription?
Normal MMOS that require much less power have subscriptions or way to generate enough recurring profits anyway.

It was also fun to see MS saying that they would have give us this service for free while they ask 60$ a year just to play online on servers hosted by other companies.

But yea, I'm don't have anything positive to add to this discussion so I'm going to keep my mouth shut. But I suspect this won't be the end for this studio or game franchise. And it's great that it's on Gamepass so I will definitely play it. It could just be completely fun game, and I'll go into playing this one expecting that type of experience. Light on the narrative, big on the fun.

The value of their cloud tech is going to be worth much more than the game itself. Being able to scale this tech to a lot of different things like AI actors etc. It's going to be a big deal. All online isn't a problem when the market your chasing is mobile devices.

The value of their cloud tech is going to be worth much more than the game itself. Being able to scale this tech to a lot of different things like AI actors etc. It's going to be a big deal. All online isn't a problem when the market your chasing is mobile devices.

Not sure that there is any particular value in this case given that the company (Cloudgine) who developed the tech has has been acquired by Epic a year ago. All demos a showcases of the cloud destruction were done by Cloudgine employees so there's a fairly high probability that MS doesn't own it at all. There's also the fact that it went from Cloud Destruction everywhere to - > only in MP after Cloudgine bounced from the project suggest that MS scrambled to make something work just to save face even if it looks vastly inferior to the first demos.. The game's development has been a total shit show and should have been canceled 2 years ago IMO.

Last edited:
Not sure that there is any particular value in this case given that the company (Cloudgine) who developed the tech has has been acquired by Epic a year ago. All demos a showcases of the cloud dinstruction where done by Cloudgine employees so there's a fairly high probability that MS doesn't own it at all. There's also the fact that it went from Cloud Destruction everywhere to - > only in MP after Cloudgine bounced from the project suggest that MS scrambled to make something work just to save face even if it looks vastly inferior to the first demos.. The game's development has been a total shit show and should have been canceled 2 years ago IMO.
When cloudgine left. They took the tech with them AFAIK. MS had to rebuild the entire thing from scratch which might explain why it looks inferior.

Er...Crackdown 3 is developed in Unreal Engine...

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/events/unreal-engine-developers-were-everywhere-at-e3-2017
Of the nearly 90 Unreal Engine games at E3, 20 projects were featured prominently at the various press conferences leading up to the main event. In particular, the Microsoft briefing brought big announcements and fresh looks at titles including Sea of Thieves, Dragon Ball FighterZ, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS, Crackdown 3, The Darwin Project, The Artful Escape and Ashen.

I think Shifty's point or question is "If Crackdown is using Unreal Engine by Epic and Epic acquired Cloudgine, won't it be built into Unreal Engine and thus still usable for the game?"

Back