Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

Wouldn't that be ideal for a Battle Royale anyway?
Right, just highlighting the need for more time for more work/QA for a scaled up mode - the cloud units have to handle the increase in scope as well as the engine dealing with it as well.

... if that's what they're doing, hypothetically.

Just as long as all the grunts can be replaced by ferrets that are constantly distracted by shinies and thus chase them around the battlefield (in place of running away from the player in fear).

Regards,
SB

Looks great to me. Always loved the cell-shaded comic book look & the over-the-top bombastic funhouse play style. If you didn't like those qualities in the 1st one, no way you'll like it in this one.

Tommy McClain

Looks great to me. Always loved the cell-shaded comic book look & the over-the-top bombastic funhouse play style. If you didn't like those qualities in the 1st one, no way you'll like it in this one.

Tommy McClain
Animation, the overall asset quality and the gameplay look like a hyprid of XBOX1-XBOX360-XBOX One era.
The previous videos with the destruction looked much better. But without it, it looks archaic.
Cell shading isnt the problem here

It seems like spent too long in development. At this point, the best thing they can do is release it and then move onto the one for Next-Gen.

I never played Crackdown on 360. When I looked at gameplay videos, it looked too simple and boring. Certainly not worth paying for.
When Microsoft made it free this year, I picked it up to play on my Xbox One. Because free game.
I had a blast with it. I never even played any co-op. I just enjoyed taking out the gangs and collecting the orbs. Now maybe I would have been very disappointed if I paid $50 for it (no doubt about it, actually), but the game itself was fun.
This Crackdown 3 SP gameplay video looks pretty much exactly like the old Crackdown 1 vids I scoffed at. It's just not a game that's impressive to watch. But it's a lot of fun to play. I expect Crackdown 3 will provide that same level of entertainment.
However, this late in the 8th generation, I would expect any game with those visuals to run at a locked 60fps. Anything less is unacceptable.

Interview with Joe Staten, senior creative director for Microsoft Global Publishing (what does that even mean)

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/we-didnt-know-if-we-could-make-it-fun-admits-crackdown-3-dev/

When we first embarked down this path, the question was whether we could actually, technically do it – cloud-based destruction. We didn’t know; it was a big technological bet.

Your higher ups were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. :V

sigh

The other thing we didn’t know at the time was, well, is it going to be fun? can we actually create fun gameplay out of these fully destructible environments? We always knew that we could make destruction look great – that it was going to always be a good spectacle – but what we didn’t know is whether we could also make it fun. can we make destruction tactical? Does it actually create interesting opportunities for the players? the great news is, that answer is ‘Yes!’

something something something Red Faction is relevant.

Last edited:
But now the question is how transferrable it is.

Well it's kind of a shame that the stars didn't align for that other IP, which MS owns, that does involve a lot of destruction, and in which destruction of buildings was in fact a major feature in two arcadey renditions of a beloved series mostly known for being a simulator in the 90s.

ahem.

Instead, we have a developer with a dubious history ($500 gold skins!) taking the reins of said IP, and whom recently put out a video with their president reaching out to fans as if struggling to exist (and who also seemingly looks not a little undead).

I get it. Simulators haven't been hot for a long time, so getting the backing of Phil's wallet was going to be a long shot, but can you imagine if they had supported an IP that is married to wanton destruction and whose lore actually depicts massive battles instead of trying to shoehorn both into this IP that originally included the shiny green heeled beta of another popular IP at the time as a carrot for sales, and whose sequel was so botched that I can only imagine it's the 0.1% who exist to punish themselves in the Search for more Orbs who still give a t00tsie roflol about this IP.

/rant

Good luck, Joe. :p May you not be a sacrificial lamb.

Well, fictionally speaking, and just game design-wise, when we thought about it we came to the conclusion that we wanted the campaign to be about saving the people on new Providence not blowing the whole city to hell!

Like a glove.

Last edited:
Well it's kind of a shame that the stars didn't align for that other IP, which MS owns, that does involve a lot of destruction, and was in fact a major feature in two arcadey renditions of a beloved series mostly known for being a simulator in the 90s.

ahem.
we talking MechWarrior?
could use that s__t in descent: freespace

woot... capital ship battles go!

we talking MechWarrior?
could use that s__t in descent: freespace

woot... capital ship battles go!
See edit ^ :runaway:

Descent Freespace was awesome too though. Koch Media must own the IP now I think.

Or 343i could just make it like Reach all over again and do space battles that aren't just a Star Wars trench run & accompanying orchestra. /rant

Last edited:
Not a fan of this aesthetic but it's fast and fluid. It's likely one of those games where it 'feels' better than it looks

*sideways look at every Bethesda RPG ever* :runaway:

Not a fan of this aesthetic but it's fast and fluid. It's likely one of those games where it 'feels' better than it looks

*sideways look at every Bethesda RPG ever* :runaway:

I'm only talking about the visuals obviously not the gameplay (which I personally don't really care about so I'm not going to judge it). It looks like an up-resed Xbox360 game (no shadows under the player what ?) shitty animations, ultra-low poly count etc. I'm going to repeat what I said in another thread but UE4 is a shitty engine unless you what to do look-dev/shinny tech-demos or have a $$$ budget & team to heavily modify & optimize it to your needs (MS's branch used on Gears 4/5, Sony/Bend's branch for Day's Gone).

Back