Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I initially found it from a Reddit or Twitter discussion with someone from Xbox on the software side, but let me try to dig it up on these forums.

Found It, about 46 pages back: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2036430/
---
Thought it might be useful to the discussion on why MS did not include an SSD on the One X and instead stayed with the eMMC setup, posted on Reddit from a member of the "XboxOne Dev Team" (software side).

Namely pointing out that additional PCIe lanes would be needed for NVMe support which would require additional architecture rework, additional costs for SSD, and the lack of genuine benefit when internal connections limit it already to 3GBps.

Now perhaps the next-gen architecture can be designed fresh to have dedicated NVMe support or Sata III.

Thank you for digging up. Very informative!

I'd be curious to know how much time is spent on a CPU thread for just decompression as well. There might be some sort of balancing act there for what makes sense.

I think nvme needs a more expensive nand controller. Not sure if it shows in retail prices?

They didn't do NVMe on One S and One X because of the changes it would have required to the existing IO portions of the chip and the PCB layout and routing.

Then, it makes sense not to pursue it for mid-gen.

But for next-gen, I don't see why they wouldn't. It could potentially free up their mass storage requirements, to the extent that a slimline iteration could use MicroSD rather than HDD/SSD.

And if NVME is treated like the current generation's HDD, then every other form of external storage - HDD/SSD, USB, or ODD - could be treated the same, and we could play games straight from the disk again. Yippee!

Optane seems to be more expensive than its contemporaries, based on a very quick Google, so I don't expect it to ship with either next-gen console, but it would be lovely to see support for it in software e.g. Suspend-resume can be upgraded to turn off-resume when using Optane.

Sorry for the incoherence, but on the topic of NVME and suspend-resume, they could really take it to the next level by giving us something emulators have had for years: save states!

Assuming the next-gen consoles have between 16-32GB of memory, that amount could be stored in an NVME drive in a few seconds. Let's assume some weird OS inefficiencies and say 30 seconds. 30 seconds a time, in order to save a game state, still strikes me as a useful evolution of suspend-resume.

Then, the system could leave the save state there, on the NVME drive, or migrate it to the internal HDD/SSD in case you want to generate a save state for another game.

That or the PS4 5 year anniversary.

Although, I tend to think it's a hint to PS5 and I'm sure we'll be getting lots of hints leading up to the reveal.

Who/What twitter account is that? Can you explain why we should care about it?

EDIT: Looks like he's a translator for Japanese to English.

Who/What twitter account is that? Can you explain why we should care about it?

EDIT: Looks like he's a translator for Japanese to English.

And he translated something Japanese devs told in Japanese magazine talking about 2019(Famitsu?)

Last edited:
Get ready players

pQoJqM3.gif

Probably 23 months to go, but so many games yet to be released on current gen. It depends how much effort was put into enhancing those for cross-gen launch.

These kind of rumours are useless for this thread. What are we supposed to interpret from "we'll be walking into unexplored territory"? Something that's not console gaming, motion gaming, VR, musical instruments, portable gaming...roller blade controllers?

The only possible take home is maybe a 2019 release, but it's so vague and unsubstantiated, plus we already cover possible hardware for different release deadlines, it doesn't make a difference.

Perhaps I should just rename the thread "Random rumours and ideas for new future gaming stuff"?

Perhaps I should just rename the thread "Random rumours and ideas for new future gaming stuff"?

Better yet, move the non-tech posts into the non-tech forum, while keeping this thread title as is and in the tech forum.

These kind of rumours are useless for this thread. What are we supposed to interpret from "we'll be walking into unexplored territory"? Something that's not console gaming, motion gaming, VR, musical instruments, portable gaming...roller blade controllers?

The only possible take home is maybe a 2019 release, but it's so vague and unsubstantiated, plus we already cover possible hardware for different release deadlines, it doesn't make a difference.

It is some devs teasing at least some announcement and one is pretty clear with new hardware and a new era. It is not random people. And I doubt a VR headset will change the next five years.

And it is console japanese devs it probably means something coming from Sony or Nintendo. It is some devs working on franchise and title not available on Xbox(Idea Factory and one from Persona studio...). It is probably Sony. From what he said the magazine tease an announcement about PS5 in 2019, not a release.

It is some devs teasing at least some announcement and one is pretty clear with new hardware and a new era. It is not random people. And I doubt a VR headset will change the next five years.

And it is console japanese devs it probably means something coming from Sony or Nintendo. It is some devs working on franchise and title not available on Xbox(Idea Factory and one from Persona studio...). It is probably Sony. From what he said the magazine tease an announcement about PS5 in 2019, not a release.
so it could be talking about Sony or Nintendo.
you don't think it's a new ps vr (although could be)
could be new ps move, camera
switch vr
upgraded switch
Still don't see what it gives us to talk about in this thread, as it could be pretty much anything
And if it is a ps5 announcement, what is that telling us, it may come in 19 or 2020?

so it could be talking about Sony or Nintendo.
you don't think it's a new ps vr (although could be)
could be new ps move, camera
switch vr
upgraded switch
Still don't see what it gives us to talk about in this thread, as it could be pretty much anything
And if it is a ps5 announcement, what is that telling us, it may come in 19 or 2020?

The article talk about PS5 for being more precise.

I doubt Sony talk in 2019 about a console launching fall 2020. It means the console will release fall 2019 or early 2020 before the end of the next Sony fiscal year April 2019 to March 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back