What If MS never released Original Generation XBox? *spawn^2*

vipa899

Regular
To be honest, the whole exclusivity thing took off with MS buying up Halo and starting the whole 'only on Xbox' marketing. If you don't have exclusives you then have little to chose between the 2 consoles (IMO anyway). Personally I'm not a fan of all these services, I know they are popular but I always didn't like it when XBLive came out and you had to pay ~£3pm...I said at the time it was the thin end of the wedge and I feel I've been proven right. Looking at MS now you have live , gamepass, EA access and talk of a streaming service...

Agree, though what would have happened if MS never released the OG xbox, would it be free to play online on PS4 now? MS sped things up sure, but i have a hard time believing it wouldnt have went this way.
As for exclusives MS with halo, but Sony with MGS2, GTA3 etc, although those were timed deals. God of war, jak etc where not.
For me also the reason if i have to choose between PS or XB, but i wonder if devs/publishers would sell more copies if games where ported or launched on other platforms too. It sure didnt impact RDR2, GTAV negatively? Not in sales but not quality either, as RDR2 is up there with sony AAA titles if not the best looking of all.

it won't be long before people are happily paying £30+pm to play games.

Hope its not going to happen but it seems to future, everything as a service. Maybe sony can do something like apple, create high-end hardware at premium prices and sell millions of units anyway?

It’s not that there are an overwhelming number of Xbox fanboys on this forum

Thus we end up discussing MS.

Yes i know B3D is 90% sony but i want MS to succeed too, atleast do better for next gen. They seem to have gotten their hands on more studios so perhaps more and better titles there in the future.

Agree, though what would have happened if MS never released the OG xbox, would it be free to play online on PS4 now? MS sped things up sure, but i have a hard time believing it wouldnt have went this way.
As for exclusives MS with halo, but Sony with MGS2, GTA3 etc, although those were timed deals. God of war, jak etc where not.
For me also the reason if i have to choose between PS or XB, but i wonder if devs/publishers would sell more copies if games where ported or launched on other platforms too. It sure didnt impact RDR2, GTAV negatively? Not in sales but not quality either, as RDR2 is up there with sony AAA titles if not the best looking of all.

Oh yeah, there's always been exclusives, I just meant MS started making it something 'bigger', they then started having the timed DLC exclusives for X360. Not sure Sony would be charging is MS weren't getting away with it...why would they? TBH, if exclusives died I'd have no reason to own an Xbox.

This is getting very off-topic. :neutral:

Not sure Sony would be charging is MS weren't getting away with it...why would they?

Recouping some overhead costs via an additional stream of revenue is probably a good thing for a sustainable business. Bills and salaries have to be paid for on-going service updates and maintenance while the hardware itself is a huge risk if it's not particularly profitable (at launch) in itself.

Last edited:
Back