FREE Games List [2008-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/free-to-grab-subnautica-(epic-games).html

Edit: Caveat Emptor. From a post below I learned the following.

"- apparently you have to opt out of marketing emails (so you must check a box to opt out, as opposed to, say, Humble asking you to check a box to opt in), which seems to run afoul of GDPR
- Epic may send your personal info to other countries where data protection may not be as strong (assuming your info doesn't get hacked, which obviously moots any assurances), Tencent gumble China grumble, use a throwaway email and prepaid cards, etc.
+ Subnautica is DRM-free, so you can run it without the Epic launcher (copy the install folder elsewhere, as it gets deleted with the Epic launcher)"

More info here:

Grab for free: Subnautica (Epic games)
by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 12/15/2018 10:46 AM | source: | 0 comment(s)

Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more – all while trying to survive.

Epic Games are giving away FREE copies of Subnautica for 2 weeks, starting today. After Subnutica, Super Meat Boy and even more free games are to be given away every two weeks during the whole 2019.

Just head over to Epic Games Store before December 27th, add the game to your cart and checkout. You do have to download another client. Simple as that. After that, the game is yours to keep.

I already had an account, so other than verifying it, I was good to go. Downloaded the installer, and made sure to install it to a game drive and not C: like the default setting wanted to. Lol, then it launches Epic's version of Steam, and again get to choose an install location, this time for the actual game. The installer I downloaded was just for the Epic game service. So, again like Steam.

Downloading now, if it goes tits up I'll update.

Edit: P.S. The Epic game server is set to launch at Windows startup, but that can be turned off within its settings.

Last edited:
Google Project Stream Participants Get Free PC Copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Sign-ups are currently underway for Google’s Project Stream tech test, which features a fully playable version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Ubisoft has announced that those who are accepted will also get a free PC copy of the game linked to their Uplay account. The test, which was developed by Google to check the performance and viability of streaming a AAA video game, concludes January 15
https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...o-get-free-pc-copy-of-assassins-creed-odyssey

Edit: u.s only

Another free game from Humble Bundle, the company that shows that Christmas is whenever one feels like it. This month's free game is one of those that will put the hurt on your feet should you step on it... LEGO: The Hobbit will be free of charge for users that redeem it from Humble Bundle's page. This promotion is available from Thursday, December 13 at 10 a.m. Pacific time to Saturday, December 15 at 10 a.m. Pacific time.

I finally peeked at the reddit thread about Subnautica and the Epic Games Store:
I don't know how much is fear mongering and how much is legitimate concern, but there are some potential issues and one nice thing (besides the free games):
- apparently you have to opt out of marketing emails (so you must check a box to opt out, as opposed to, say, Humble asking you to check a box to opt in), which seems to run afoul of GDPR
- Epic may send your personal info to other countries where data protection may not be as strong (assuming your info doesn't get hacked, which obviously moots any assurances), Tencent gumble China grumble, use a throwaway email and prepaid cards, etc.
+ Subnautica is DRM-free, so you can run it without the Epic launcher (copy the install folder elsewhere, as it gets deleted with the Epic launcher)

I finally peeked at the reddit thread about Subnautica and the Epic Games Store:
I don't know how much is fear mongering and how much is legitimate concern, but there are some potential issues and one nice thing (besides the free games):
- apparently you have to opt out of marketing emails (so you must check a box to opt out, as opposed to, say, Humble asking you to check a box to opt in), which seems to run afoul of GDPR
+ Subnautica is DRM-free, so you can run it without the Epic launcher (copy the install folder elsewhere, as it gets deleted with the Epic launcher)
That link gave me a "not found" page but it helped me eventually find this.
Edit: I see now, the board reformats the links we post to that thread. I'll leave off the "https://www." from reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/a663d5/
People can paste it back in, using their address bar, to get a workable link

Edit: Thanks for the info, I edited my post that has the link to the download.

Last edited:
Edit: The forum transforms any Steam url into that media bar, but it's broken for me for this game. I'd link the reddit thread, but that might not work for everyone (see babel's post above this), so take the long way: https://steamcommunity.com/games/308600/announcements/detail/3142848113565184486

GeneShift free for the next two days. It looks like Grand Theft Auto: 2D top-down. I'll quote the dev from reddit:
Geneshift is a Battle Royale where each round only lasts two minutes. As the circle shrinks you must loot for weapons, grab a car, and drive GTA2-style to the center. If you die you'll become a zombie, which lets you keep looting for next round. There are special abilities to unlock like Invisiblity or Teleportation, and a bunch of crazy challenges to attempt. You can play singleplayer vs bots or hop on and enjoy the multiplayer madness of this giveaway!

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion also free for the next two days, if you missed it on Humble Bundle.

Last edited:

GeneShift free for the next two days. It looks like Grand Theft Auto: 2D top-down. I'll quote the dev from reddit:

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion also free for the next two days, if you missed it on Humble Bundle.

Must not be for the NA region as Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion is still showing 39.99 USD here.

Nevermind, just couldn't use your link. And on the page itself, have to click on the install button.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I don't know if there's a delay in the game/pricing info in these Steam media banners, but I can't even seem to provide a pure url using the url tags.

Actually, SoaSE:Rebellion says "download free until 12/19." Maybe it's only free as long as you download it and never delete it, vs the usual "this game has been added to your account?"

Anno 1602 for free before 12/23, for all you Uplay fans: https://store.ubi.com/us/anno-1602/58ab345b6b54a4cc2a8b4567.html?lang=en_US

Get Geneshift for Free
Geneshift is available for free on Steam for the next two days, offering the chance to own this early access game described as battle royale turbo. This is inspired by Grand Theft Auto 2, and is played from a similar top-down perspective. This post has details on the game and the giveaway:

Free-to-Play PES 2019 Lite

Konami announces the release of PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2019 LITE, a free-to-play edition of the latest installment in their association football/soccer series. Here's a trailer showing off a bit of what to expect from this. The Windows edition is offered on Steam, and carries the following description:

Wow. Twitch Prime is giving away a bonus set of Devolver Digital games until Jan 31st:
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/prime

The Messenger
Crossing Souls
Hotline Miami 1 & 2
Broforce
Strafe
Swords of Ditto

Steam links here:

Wow, finally installed the twitch client because of some of those games, and I must say...it's bad. Like really bad. When installing a game you can't choose the directory it goes into? You can only choose the drive? UGH!

Just reinforced my hatred for having multiple launchers/clients.

Regards,
SB

I tried put Twitch game launcher before and promptly uninstalled. Its just so bad. No free game is worth the price.

I don't know how much of the Amazon Prime monthly fee Twitch Prime has to work with when doling out their free games, but clearly it's not enough to cover giving the games away and having a nice launcher. I think the games are DRM-free, so you can move them once installed, but does that mean you can no longer uninstall them via the Windows Control Panel? Will it affect their save directories and preferences? I don't know.

The last time I uninstalled the Twitch client, I think it uninstalled all its games, too, b/c they were in the Twitch Prime directory. So, yeah, it's not great. Still: free*!

* Side effects may include PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back