Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Just Cause is looking beautiful to me, but the LOD transitions in some parts of the video were hideous, it would have looked bad on xb360. What a shame.

Yet, UE4 was supposed to have some advantages on Switch... anyway this game is not a proper benchmark on any machine.

Ark Exec: That's some great cell shading.
Developer: It's...a work in progress and that's not cell shading.
Ark Exec: It is now. Ship it!

Looks like they've used a painterly upscale so it's not blurry, but stylised. The pop-in is laughable though. Reminds me of 1980s/90s games being ported to the ZX Spectrum.

wpid-r-type_spectrum_480w.png

level1_04.jpg

Why even retain stuff like the screen space reflections or ambient occlusion? Definitely seems like the Switch and even consoles are not as much the problem, but whatever baggage Ark brings with it. Though that mobile version John shows looked really nice.

Ark was an unoptimized turd on PS4 and X1, but it is a total dumpster fire on Switch. Honestly I wish Nintendo had a stricter policy pushing back games that are this bad. Some poor bastard is going to pick this up at the store unaware at just how terrible the product is.

Ark was an unoptimized turd on PS4 and X1, but it is a total dumpster fire on Switch. Honestly I wish Nintendo had a stricter policy pushing back games that are this bad. Some poor bastard is going to pick this up at the store unaware at just how terrible the product is.
It was/is a hot turd on PC and sold bananas...It is also apparently selling like hot cake right now on Switch...

Devs & Nintendo (& Epic) right now:

Woody-Harrelson-Cry.gif

Plenty kids are in for quite a rude awakening this christmas

Plenty kids are in for quite a rude awakening this christmas

That does actually kind of piss me off. A lot of the members here warned me this game would turn out really bad, but I never expected a game to be released in this poor of condition. Makes the terrible Far Cry port to Wii look decent by comparison. Studio Wildcard should be embarrassed. Who knows, maybe a class action law suite will be filed against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back