Sony not saying anything about doubling up Single Player

Doubling down but probally means the same thing though.Edited with a link, someone was faster but ok :)

MS seems to follow suit and try to deliver AAA games, Sony is already doing this and will continue doing so.
What does doubling down mean anyway, 50% more AAA titles?

Like if sony didnt have enough. Its what the people want, and makes ps5 only more intresting cause most games in development from now will probally land on next gen.

Just means more emphasis/work towards.
still not easy to understand if you translate it literally in your head. Doubling down means multiplying by two the number of exclusives in my head. I mean, PS users should expect the double amount of exclusive single player games from now on.

That's a good choice for them, as I enjoy single player more than multiplayer, and well written stories

Doubling Up means twice....
Doubling Down means half....

Oh noes! Sony is closing half of it's studios!

To be honest, I don't think Sony should double their flow of 1st party AAA single player releases.

Sure, for next-gen they should launch a bunch of terrific 1st-party games like they did this gen, to hook players on their platform. Their IPs are now system sellers through and through, all the more so considering the sum of them (Uncharted + TLoU + God of War + Horizon + Bloodborne + Spiderman etc.)

However, Sony must avoid saturating the market with AAA single-player games, otherwise their release dates would put them in direct competition against 3rd-party SP AAAs (GTA, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc.).
And unlike Nintendo, Sony knows how to not screw up with third parties.

So if we're to discuss the semantics of Sony's statements, doubling down probably just means to insist on making great AAA single player games.

I'd say more a commitment to continue with them and not divert investment away from them to other game types (GaaS, VR, party games, etc).

I'd put VR away from that list.

Astro Bot is a great single player game that holds its own as a PSVR seller (or even as a VR seller, period).
If Sony is to keep pushing VR gaming (of which they are the current undisputed leader) then they must double down on single-player VR games as well. An Astro Bot sequel seems like a no-brainer to me.

With the latest trend on governments hunting down the Wilson Lootbox, GaaS might be going away from consoles and PCs on most genres but MMOs and MOBAs.

Sony or Microsoft would be better off steering away from that crap regardless.

I was typing a reply, and then I went to the source interview instead of the linked article. Warwick, head of Sony Interactive Europe, never used the words "double down"! His talk is far broader, acknowledging success with singly player games and Fortnites success and their VR success, with zero indications given about any shifts or focus points or hints at any plans.

This thread is a lie. The original 'double down' comment is entirely made up by the source, and there's zero to discuss. I'm going to fix the title...

Really, commentaries that link to source interviews should be shunned and the source interview referenced directly (I'm going to create that thread now*). This thread would never have then been started (although then some of us wouldn't have learned where the phrase 'double down' came from ;)).

* Edit - no I'm not. There's nothing of substance in the interview worth discussing.

The cake thread is a lie!

Regardless, here's what's actually written in the original article:

“While 2018 was indisputably a big year for Fortnite, it was also a year which saw us really act like a publisher and focus on our exclusive titles whether it was God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit or VR titles such as Astro Bot,” Light says.
Discussing the battle royale title and Sony’s own output in the same sentence makes clear the gulf in strategy between them. Sony’s studios have continued to concentrate on single-player, narrative-driven titles, at odds with the industry buzz around games-as-a-service and long-term engagement.

The focus is even mentioned as a past occurrence, so there's pretty much no hint at future endeavors.

Back