Should MS create a handheld?

Should Microsoft create a handheld portable console?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Depends, (Explained in a post)

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
I'd really like to see MS get Hololens to a consumer level price and higher resolution. They've already a wealth of knowledge in development of software for it and are gaining more as time goes on. It could be an area where MS gets in early and ends up being a key player. The business uses for it seem to be plentiful so far. If MS is able to leverage their experience and bring compelling AR content while still being able to do traditional gaming sounds like a decent device to me.

If the base hardware doesn't have enough oomph for console level gaming then perhaps they could leverage the Cloud and use some of those extra Scarlet cycles to assist in rendering. They're already doing it with the remnants of Kinect for Hololens.

This isn't happening any time soon but if they're going to dedicate themselves to a portable I'd much rather it be in the form of Hololens like device than a traditional hand held. Perhaps it could be both and the hand held assists with rendering locally to the glasses,

Any handheld released really needs access to a library of games, hence why I would prefer and portable Xbox one; it will get new games without any extra work for the developers.

An alternative, though not as attractive, would be a portable Xbox 360 with an ODD dock. A die shrunk 360 would hopefully be in the region of the Switch power consumption wise, and has an extensive back catalogue of games.
Another alternative is an official Win 10 gaming handheld from Microsoft, with enough grunt to play modern games - a Microsoft smach z if you will - but it wouldn't be a conwole and the experience would just not be as slick.

Any handheld released really needs access to a library of games, hence why I would prefer and portable Xbox one; it will get new games without any extra work for the developers.

An alternative, though not as attractive, would be a portable Xbox 360 with an ODD dock. A die shrunk 360 would hopefully be in the region of the Switch power consumption wise, and has an extensive back catalogue of games.
Another alternative is an official Win 10 gaming handheld from Microsoft, with enough grunt to play modern games - a Microsoft smach z if you will - but it wouldn't be a conwole and the experience would just not be as slick.
Can't they make it like xbox one? It's a game console but also able to do UWP stuff.

Traditional handheld no. Pimp up one of the windows standalone vr headsets and make that into portable console. Meaning blatantly rip off oculus quest and make it a big deal.

Traditional handheld no. Pimp up one of the windows standalone vr headsets and make that into portable console. Meaning blatantly rip off oculus quest and make it a big deal.

Release an xbox next for 4k devices and traditional games and release a stand alone windows mr system that can also wirelessly stream the traditional consoles content along with working on its own would imo be the best move.

That way you can play like you can on a quest but if you want a higher fidelity you can connect to your console. Infact since 60ghz wifi needs line of sight
you can create a Kinect 3 and build it into the line of sight device. That can help with one of the big disadvantages of inside out tracking

Back