Next Generation hardware release strategy *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we look at the Halo Infinite tech demo as a way to guess next-gen?

Based on what DF said, it's running around 4k60 with much higher fidelity textures, lighting, DOF, etc... perhaps launch title for next xbox?
they said it was for this gen. But I can imagine them having it ready for next as well.

The midgen refreshes have been very good at moving the needle forward even though the base machines are still plugging along themselves.
Precisely. The next gen starts when the baseline progresses. During every console generation, PC hardware has advanced leaps and bounds, but by-and-large games haven't until new consoles define a new baseline. Whatever the future holds, here and now there's a next gen coming where the base performance for consoles is going to be significantly higher than XB1 and PS4 and we'll see a better baseline for games as a result, notably better than the mid-gen refreshes are delivering between now and that hardware launching.

So a leak from MS about their hardware plans, including new Surface and Hololens devices this year and next.

But also Scarlett, the code name for the next gen Xbox, planned for 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...w-hololens-in-2019-and-the-next-xbox-in-2020/

Finally, the next-generation Xbox that was confirmed to be in development earlier this week is due for release in 2020 and has the codename Scarlett. The documents also suggest that Scarlett may not be a single piece of hardware but instead a family of devices. Given Microsoft's prioritization of backward compatibility and the ability to move your game library from generation to generation without having to re-buy or keep old hardware hanging around, it's reasonable to expect that Scarlett will be, broadly speaking, a faster iteration of the current Xbox One X.

One note of caution is that the documents were produced during Terry Myerson's tenure as head of the Windows and Devices Group. With Myerson leaving the company, it's possible that Microsoft's plans have changed.

Given where we are today, it's improbable to see any console in 2019 or 16-17 months from this post. Unless Sony has locked down in an unprecedented way, we would already see leaks for a project codename, specs, and potential chatter from devs. Remember this is supposed to be new architecture, not a mid-gen upgrade. Silicon would already be done or very close for tape out. So 2020 or later for both. Hearing leaks about a next Xbox in 2020 is a bit earlier than I would have imagined but not surprising.

You can't react with hardware. The timelines to design and create at too long. If you look at last-minute machines, throwing hardware at a problem out of a desperate fear of being the weaker console, they've done terrible business. the only way to effectively run a product like these is to have your vision and implement it. If it's a good vision, it'll be competitive and secure some of the market. That's how Nintendo have managed to survive. The only people who care about having the more powerful machine are fanboys, representing a small part of the market.

Hypothetical (un)reality check - let's imagine PS4 and XB1 launch in 2013 as they are now hardware wise, except XB1 is priced as is now same as PS4 and launches with HZD, GOW, The Witcher 3 exclusively, and Zelda:BotW. Which one will sell the most - the most powerful console or the one with the defining software library?
it depends on how you set yourself up. Either company can have a slicon budget for 2020 and 2021 and have designs based on that and shift to either one depending on what a competitor is doing.

Also for a very long time at the start of this generation the talk was 720p/900p for MS and 1080p for sony . It was way past fanboys online as I heard it from casual gamers also. Next gen if one company can hit 4k 60fps with better AA or having more ram for textures vs the other company doing 4k 30fps and less aa and textures I am sure it will get talked about all over again. At the end of the day beautiful games that are also fun speak highly to gamers .

So a leak from MS about their hardware plans, including new Surface and Hololens devices this year and next.

But also Scarlett, the code name for the next gen Xbox, planned for 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...w-hololens-in-2019-and-the-next-xbox-in-2020/

Wonder if MS will skip VR and make HoloLens their next gen play. I can envision some cool stuff game play with a HoloLens as your display instead of a tv. It would be an expensive sell but could really postion them well for the AR markets

After these e3 presentations.

i'm not sure what we would consider as being next generation games. the lines are blurring for me at this point.

from the exclusives we saw yesterday, to an evolving dynamic world like FH4, one could easily say that this gen has really arrived on its own as a true departure from last. Not really sure what next gen is supposed to be.

The midgen refreshes have been very good at moving the needle forward even though the base machines are still plugging along themselves.
I can relate to that:), the magic of mid gen consoles sure muddy things up a notch. I'm still being rather optimistic here though, compare TLOU remastered to UC4, you would still see a world of difference. Now just apply that here. Yes, Sony's Big 4 and Cyberpunk look phenomenon and I'll be happy if most launch titles would look like them but they're all still attached to the base hardware more or less, subconsciously something tells me Horizon 2 as a launch game without current gen lingerings would blow all the aforementioned games away like nothing and make us shat bricks all over again.

Xbox Two: use the scaled down Xbox² streaming tablet as a 2nd screen while playing your Xbox² proper. Maybe even has kickstand & mag mount for a Surface Go keyboard. :cool:

Tommy McClain

Can we look at the Halo Infinite tech demo as a way to guess next-gen?

Based on what DF said, it's running around 4k60 with much higher fidelity textures, lighting, DOF, etc... perhaps launch title for next xbox?

It may be cross gen ready.

Some shots use very high quality photogrammetry assets but the rest is looking current gen and some not even good.

I have no idea what the correction is because the major population in Cyprus are Greeks :p
lol haha.
I'm not too familiar with it, so I'm just going to go the safest route and say that if he was born in Cyprus, he is Cyprian? But yea, I hear you haha

Western Cypriots are ethnic Greeks. I.e. same language, same genetic traces, same culture, same values, same religious majority (Greek Orthodox). They even call themselves "Greek Cypriots" as opposed to the "Turkish Cypriots" from East Cyprus.

AFAICS, the main reason Cyprus doesn't belong to Greece is because after the Ottomans gave the rest of Greece back to the Greeks, they somehow gave Cyprus to the UK instead.

lol haha.
I'm not too familiar with it, so I'm just going to go the safest route and say that if he was born in Cyprus, he is Cyprian? But yea, I hear you haha
Thats why he said "My name is so Greek, because my family is from Cyprus" :)
Cypriots.
Western Cypriots are ethnic Greeks. I.e. same language, same genetic traces, same culture, same values, same religious majority (Greek Orthodox). They even call themselves "Greek Cypriots" as opposed to the "Turkish Cypriots" from East Cyprus.

AFAICS, the main reason Cyprus doesn't belong to Greece is because after the Ottomans gave the rest of Greece back to the Greeks, they somehow gave Cyprus to the UK instead.
Cyprus did not win it's freedom during the Greek War of Independence. Cyprus was offered much later to the British as a guarantee for protection of the Ottoman Empire against Russian expansionism.
A significant portion of the so called "turkish cypriots" were actually Greek Christians turned Muslims. The converted were treated with better tax conditions. But in general the whole population revolted multiple times against the conditions of the Ottoman Empire.
They were later revolting through worker strikes against the British who were brutal and inhuman, forcing Cypriots to work in extreme conditions with barely any pay.
Later on, a group of Greek Cypriots organised a questionable guerrilla force to oust the British and unify with Greece. Meanwhile Turkey, with the British was preparing the conditions for a population dichotomy. Cyprus managed to gain it's independence under the condition that British bases would remain and were forced to sign an agreement of independence and a constitution bound to fail as it recognized Turkish and Greek Cypriots instead of one common Cyprus identity. Greece couldnt accept Cyprus for many political and international affair reasons. The agreement also gave the right for Turkey to invade in case the Turkish Cypriots were in danger. Turkey was purposely instigating Turkish Cypriot nationalist terrorist groups called the TMT which made Greek nationalists respond brutally back. Anyways, things got more complicated. The right wing president Makarios was trying to have good relations with Russia as he counted on them in case of potential Turkish thread. He also had good relations with the left party.
Meanwhile British and US secret services were monitoring and visiting the island.
The far right nationalists that wanted to get rid of the left, Makarios and unify with Greece, were spreading false information to the CIA and British secret services of a potential Soviet Union influence. So the US, British and the Greek Junta instigated a Greek Cypriot nationalist coup. The war criminal Kissinger green lid the plan: The coup would be viewed as a thread to the Turkish Cypriot minority. That would give the right to Turkey to intervene. Turkey was fully informed before the coup, the British had camouflaged aircraft with Turkish insignia ready to bombard, Greek Cypriot defenses were down beforehand for an easy invasion. And today Cyprus is divided.

Next gen if one company can hit 4k 60fps with better AA or having more ram for textures vs the other company doing 4k 30fps and less aa and textures I am sure it will get talked about all over again. At the end of the day beautiful games that are also fun speak highly to gamers .

We're in agreement until this part. See Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, where resolution/framerate clearly isn't at the same level of discussion anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back